Author Topic: translab surgeons  (Read 6423 times)

raji83

translab surgeons
« on: July 24, 2014, 01:10:42 pm »
Hi Guys,
 My wife has been diagnosed with 1.4 cm AN, and we're planning to go for surgery. After talking to various doctors, we're inclined towards translab as it has relatively less side effects. She has 50% hearing left in the ear but we can sacrifice it to have a safer approach.

We're based out of PA and looking for one of the best translab surgeons? Please advice. Till now been to Jefferson and Hopkins. Dr. Tamargo at Hopkins recommended sigmoid but this technique seems to be more complicated with potential to create headaches.
Please advice on a good translab surgeon.

-DP
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:15:09 pm by mot83 »

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: translab surgeons
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 04:58:34 pm »
Hi mot83 and welcome to this forum of caring, supportive friends .....

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things to get several opinions.  Ultimately your wife, with you and her doctors, will need to decide on what feels right for her.  If she is uneasy about a doctor or a particular surgical approach, then you need to keep looking at possibilities for treatment.

At 1.4 cm you should have some time and do not need to feel rushed into a particular treatment.

That being said, there are many good surgeons scattered over the U.S.  Many of us chose to travel quite a distance to find the right surgeons for our particular situation.  I flew across the entire U.S. for my surgery because I felt it was right for me.

Much depends upon your personal situation and whether your insurance will cover you at a particular medical facility.

I know this is a vague reply to your comment wanting advice, but I hope you understand why it has to be a personal decision.

Best wishes and please feel free to post any more specific questions/comments you many have.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

redshieldrob

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 09:18:32 pm »
Sorry for the slow response.  I live in the Baltimore area.  You are correct Tamargo recommends retro.  I had my first consult with him and ran as fast as I could out of the Hopkins complex.  I turned to my wife and said "It will be a cold day in hell before that man touches me."  My second consult was with Dr. Eisenburg at Univ of Md.  Great Dr....kind....and understanding.  I performed more research and decided to head to House in LA.  So GLAD I did!!  My Dr.'s were Slattery and Schwartz.  My tumor was about 3.7 cm.  I just had my one year anniversary of my diagnosis.  November 12 will be my one year anniversary of my surgery.  I'm more than happy to talk to you if you would like to hear my story.  I'm 46 years old and its like it never happened.  I have SSD on my right side because I opted for the translab approach. 
4 cm AN diagnosed 7/26/2013.  Trans Lab surgery 11/12/13 at HEI.  Slattery/Schwartz Surgical Team.

raji83

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 12:16:34 pm »
Thanks redshieldrob for your response. Unfortunately with our insurance, house is out of network.

Lot of people mention about House and I'm sure they're good. Anyone has experience getting gap exception from insurance for going to House?

G8trdude

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 06:44:20 pm »
Also dealing with recent AN diagnosis, live near Wilmington, DE.  I have almost no hearing loss in AN ear.  Faint tinnitus, slight balance issues, some faint facial numbness.  My AN was an incidental/suspicious finding on a CAT scan for something else, then confirmed by contrasted MRI.

I had consults with with Penn (Bigelow/Lee (recommended retrosig)), Jefferson (Wilcox/Evans/Andrews (willing to watch and wait or radio (Andrews), surgical recommendation leaned toward retrosig) and Hopkins (Francis/Tamargo (strong retrogis recommendation)).  Also phone consults with House (wilkinson/schwarz).

Not easy, after much deliberation (including a lot of input/research by my wife), my preference ended up House > Hopkins=Jefferson > Penn.

I have chosen surgery at House (Slattery/Schwarz) and am scheduled for translab in Oct.

When you say "House is out of network", are you sure all aspects of a procedure (i.e., charges/CPT codes) at House would be out of network?  My wife and I spent a bit of time with House staff and my insurance (Aetna "choice POS II") staff discussing out in-network and out-of-network aspects of this procedure.  In the end, one of my House surgeons (Schwarz) is out of network, the other (Slattery) is in-network as is all other aspects of the procedure (St. Vincents, etc.).  Will be more expensive than if all aspects were in-network, but worth it, in our opinion.

Take care, KP
Diagnosed: June 2014 MRI, 2.3 cm AN right side
Symptoms: faint tinnitus, minimal hearing loss, slight balance issues, faint lip numbness
Status:Oct 2 2014 translab by Slattery & Schwarz at House = SSD. NO facial problems. NO pain/headaches.  Minimal balance issues.  Back to life!

v357139

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 07:32:20 pm »
I also went to House for translab and they were great.  Worth the trip by all means.  I've heard they work with you on insurance.  If you want House, you  may want to ask them more about insurance.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

neetze1

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 07:21:27 pm »
If it is not too late, try again for House!  I had also consulted with Dr.Evans at Jefferson but he wanted to do retrosigmoid and I was just too afraid of that surgery!  Too many people with neck issues after retrosigmoid!!!  My insurance did cover surgery at House.  Please check again.  Many insurance companies find it much cheaper to pay up front then to keep paying to repair what might be done incorrectly someplace else.  I thought I can pay out of pocket now for the expense to travel to California, or I can pay for the rest of my life with loss of income if I cant get back to work!  Best decision of my life!  I was back to work in 6 weeks.  I would have been back sooner but NJ State Disability says you have to be out that long to get paid so I stayed out that long!  File an appeal if you have to but save your neck, don't to retrosigmoid and go to House!  Good luck!
Anita
South Jersey
Translab 3/20/13 at HEI for 3.5 centimeter
Dr. Luxford, Dr. Lekovic, Dr. Stefan

raji83

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 11:28:32 am »
Anita,
I am going for my surgery on 8th oct with doc Golfinos from NYU. they gonna do translab. I am also scared of this retrosigmoid. Thanks for your concern.

neetze1

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 09:53:06 pm »
mot83
Good luck to your wife!  You must both feel a sense of relief once you made the decision.  I know I did!  It felt like a huge weight was lifted.  It is now out of your hands and in your surgeons and Gods hands.  Try to get things in order but also relax a little bit.  You will get through this.  I wish you all the best and hope you get the best outcome possible.
Anita
South Jersey
Translab 3/20/13 at HEI for 3.5 centimeter
Dr. Luxford, Dr. Lekovic, Dr. Stefan

v357139

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 07:48:20 pm »
Yes best of luck.  Let us know how it goes.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

raji83

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 09:26:52 am »
My wife will be having surgery today- oct 8 - at NYU Langone. Lets see how it goes.

NYLady

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 09:41:20 am »
Prayers and thoughts are with you today MOT....she is in wonderful hands at NYU.

NYL