General Category > AN Issues

Did I go back to work too early?

(1/2) > >>

comfortzone:
I had surgery April 3 and started back to work June 9th. I lost all the hearing on my AN side as a result of the surgery. I've recently started using a Phonak cross system which is really helping me a lot. I still have some sort of visual/cognitive googly eyes, kind of weeble wobble a bit, but in general I'm plugging along. I was feeling quite proud of my recovery actually. I work in a legal office, not for a lawyer but within the company I work for. It's very detail oriented and fast paced and my boss loves to pile the work on. I've found it's harder to concentrate since I've been back but thought I'd been able to perform the job really well and have been keeping up, even catching up on things that had been missed while I was away. That was until I had a review this week with my manager who informed me that she would like the old version of me back!!! ??? How exactly am I supposed to do that? I was told that although I am performing the job function, she would like the happy me back and that the work is only 50% of the job, the other 50% is social. The funny thing is that I am quite happy since the surgery. I've learned so much about myself, had such incredible support from family and friends and am amazed at how far I've come so fast. When I'm at work I have to concentrate so hard that I think they interpret me being miserable I guess. It is definitely more difficult for me to get the same work done now as before surgery and by about 2 in the afternoon I'm wiped. Am I wrong to think that as long as you get your job done that's what matters? I've been trying so hard to soldier on with a positive attitude and it was shocking to have someone tell me otherwise. I have an appointment with my family doctor on Monday. Do I go back on medical leave? Should I expect to be able to do as much as a I did before or do I need to look for another job? I'm confused and not sure what to do!

Tod:
It will take awhile for you to regain some of the social aspect, based on what you describe. It took me awhile. I am sure it will come back to you. Keep in mind, that one rule of recovery is to allow one month for every hour of general anesthesia. I'm not sure if that is based on any real science, but it sure seemed the right mix for me.

You are early into the healing process yet. Give yourself time and just explain to folks that it takes more of your effort and energy than before, but it should return.

I hope this helps,

Tod

robertwh2:
Hard to answer this one, but I can tell you in hind sight I returned to work to early at 8 weeks. I would work and then crash as soon as I got home. Each of are different.

As a manager I think your boss is out of line.  Do I want all of my team to get along, enjoy their job, and be active members of the team. Yes. Does that include socially,  to some extent. If someone became less social for some reason, I would be trying to make sure everything was ok. Not being critical of them. 

The job is the job and you are not the same person as before going through this.  You are tougher and most likely embrace life more than before. Plug away, things will become normal again and try not to let an out of line comment darken your spirit.  Your boss may have had a bad day and said something that should not have been said.

God Bless!

ANGuy:
I'd ask your manager to put in writing her comments about your personality so that you could better understand them.  Then I would take those written comments down the hall to her supervisor and make sure he/she understands that if you have to be subjected to any more crap like that the two of them will be looking for new jobs.

I doubt your manager will put those comments in writing.  Even she can't be that stupid.  I would still go over her head. 

michelej:
Wow... that woman sounds like a total inconsiderate, unsympathetic, witch on a power trip to me. I don't know how I will know either when to go back to work. I know I have to be seen again a month after my surgery. I am going for translab. on next Thurs. I plan on going back in a month and maybe do some work at home sooner. I have a transcription job so I sit and type most of the day. Guess I will hear with just the one good ear now. I really was doing that before so I guess I won't notice anything different. :-) I wish you luck. I don't know what to tell you but if you can afford to stay home or work part time you might consider it. You health is worth more than a job anyday!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version