Author Topic: Looked this tumor up - does my condition sound like AN? Docs can't diagnose  (Read 6049 times)

vertigoman

Hey all, So I'd love some input here. It is driving me nuts, and doctors have run batteries of tests.
So far, my symptoms are: dizziness/vertigo, constant pressure in the right side of my head, ear and neck base, sometimes I have odd phenomena when walking (but not running), tinnitus, pins and needles in feet and hands (VERY rarely) and general issues with my balance.
Two head CT scans showed absolutely nothing. Heart tests came back fine, abdominal ultrasounds showed all of those organs are fine, breathing is fine as well. Absolutely nothing showing on a four different blood panels, as well. Been experiencing very slow, increasing symptoms for two years, now.
If anyone has any ideas whatsoever, please let me know. My friend in med school's only suggestion is a CT of my cervical spine and neck, although I don't see why that would correlate. So I am wondering if this sounds like an acoustic neuroma?
Thanks in advance.

LakeErie

Any balance symptoms could be from a tumor on the vestibular nerve. The only way to determine if you have an AN is the brain scan with contrast. You either have an AN or you don't. There are many symptoms of AN's that are also symptoms of other disorders. An MRI will tell you what you need to know, either you do have an AN and it is causing your problems, or you don't have an AN and you need to keep investigating.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:44:04 pm by LakeErie »
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
My friend in med school's only suggestion is a CT of my cervical spine and neck, although I don't see why that would correlate.

If you think that your friend "in med school" is qualified to perform brain surgery on you then, by all means, take his advice. ;D ;D ;D

So I am wondering if this sounds like an acoustic neuroma?

It might be. Or it might not be.

I've never been to med school and I've never played a doctor on TV. But I do have an acoustic neuroma inside my head so here's the best advice you're ever going to get from anybody.

Get an MRI with contrast. Period.

That's how you find out if you have an acoustic neuroma or not.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

john1455

vertigoman,

you need a MRI with contrast to see if an AN is your problem. I had a CT scan that turned up normal too. Only after I contested my primary care provider's diagnosis and his choice of scans was my AN diagnosed properly.
Diagnosed with 19x16x19mm cystic AN right side on 7/2013
MRI on 3/2014 showed AN increased to 21x20mm
right side 70% hearing loss, tinnitus, balance issues
CK at Stanford completed 3/21/2014 (3 sessions)
Dr Steven Chang and Dr Iris Gibbs

Dee-dee

Hi

Have the neck and spine MRI that your MD friend suggests.  My friend's mother had a neuroma also known as a schwannoma (same thing as an acoustic neuroma ) except it was lower in the neck/spine so the brain scans didn't pick it up.  It was very serious, finally affecting her ability to walk and to breathe.  Please get the scan. And yes, you need an MRI with contrast, not a CT scan.
Dee-dee

2.3 cm AN.   Hearing loss and other symptoms. Gamma knife 2011.

PaulW

CT Scans will pick up the larger Acoustic Neuromas so if you have one it will probably be on the small side.
My AN was suspected on a CT Scan and was only 10x5x5mm. It was confirmed on the MRI with contrast.

While some of your symptoms could be caused by an AN, other symptoms are less common.

The fact that the CT Scan did not detect an AN should at least give you some assurance that you do not have a large one.
It also improves your chances of it being something else....often temporary.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

john1455

A CT scan missed my AN and it was 19mm. That is considered a medium size tumor.
Diagnosed with 19x16x19mm cystic AN right side on 7/2013
MRI on 3/2014 showed AN increased to 21x20mm
right side 70% hearing loss, tinnitus, balance issues
CK at Stanford completed 3/21/2014 (3 sessions)
Dr Steven Chang and Dr Iris Gibbs