Author Topic: Driving & AN  (Read 10249 times)

ampeep

Driving & AN
« on: May 05, 2014, 01:50:57 pm »
Would like to know whether or not you're able to drive with AN- related balance issues.  I missed work 4 out of 5 days last week because I got really dizzy and couldn't drive.

Am amazed that so many of you are still able to drive.

Keith
8/2/13 - diagnosed 1.9 CM right side; 1/13/14 - MRI it got bigger!; 2/10/14 - GK; 8/18/14 - shrinking; 8/17/15 - still shrinking, reduced symptoms

Echo

Re: Driving & AN
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 06:22:48 pm »
I have no problem with dizziness driving in the daytime.  My balance issues are worse in the dark so I find I limit my night driving to city driving where there are lots of lights rather than country driving in full darkness.  One thing I did notice on my last road trip was reading signs or billboards that you see at the side of the road while cruising by doing highway speeds - I can't comfortably read them anymore without getting nauseous.  I have some minor ocular motor issues with my eyes, so driving and reading signs isn't always good.  Thankfully street and highway signs are mostly in front of me which does not cause any problem and if I'm driving somewhere new I'm starting to like listening to my GPS provide the directions.

To be honest I have more trouble looking down as I walk down a flight of stairs then I ever have driving.   ::)

Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 05:37:26 pm »
Ampeep

I have a part time driving job and feel safe while driving.  I just let the other drivers drive as crazy as the want, I just stay out of the way.  I do have to pay attention a bit more, but that is probably a good thing as all drivers should be paying more attention.

TJ

KBL

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 01:45:55 pm »
Since my surgery, I tried driving 2 times.  It left my dizzy and exhausted.  I didn't go very far and the driving was on country roads.  It has been a couple years since I have tried.
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 10:23:25 pm »
Driving wasn't an issue for me. Didn't drive for about 6 weeks post-op though, under doctor's orders, but afterwards just picked right up again. Although I have the vertigo/dizziness issue it somehow doesn't effect my ability to drive safely....everyone's different though
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

john1455

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 08:55:04 pm »
My AN has had only a slight effect on my driving. I get a little dizzy when I have to turn my head side to side fast but other than that I have no problems driving. I drove myself to all my CK sessions except the first one. My wife rode shotgun as a precaution. But my pretreatment disequilibrium was only a 3 on a scale of 1 (minimal) to 10 (worse). Funny thing is, I can ride my bicycle and feel perfectly normal with not a hint of any balance issues.
Diagnosed with 19x16x19mm cystic AN right side on 7/2013
MRI on 3/2014 showed AN increased to 21x20mm
right side 70% hearing loss, tinnitus, balance issues
CK at Stanford completed 3/21/2014 (3 sessions)
Dr Steven Chang and Dr Iris Gibbs

SDTom

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 01:00:10 pm »
Driving is a different experience for me. Prior to my operations I was probably driving between 20k and 40k a year. Now I probably drive a few hundred miles a year. It takes a lot of effort to drive. I'm not sure how describe it but on a scale of 1-10 before it was a 2 and now its closer to a 9.
Tom
June 2011 3.8 cm tumor debulked.
July 2011 Hydrocephalus, Meningitis.
August 2011 shunt installed.
Sept 2011 28 rounds of radiation.
Things kept getting worse
March 2012 tumor removal at Mayo clinic

ampeep

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 10:18:46 am »
Thanks for all of your comments; appears that there is a wide range of experiences with driving!

I had to drive last week, and it took a lot more effort than before.  The hardest parts are:  1) looking back when reversing and 2) turning my head when I need to change lanes.

8/2/13 - diagnosed 1.9 CM right side; 1/13/14 - MRI it got bigger!; 2/10/14 - GK; 8/18/14 - shrinking; 8/17/15 - still shrinking, reduced symptoms

Everyone1226

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 11:55:22 am »
I had "middle fossa craniotomy" surgery on February 13, 2014.  My tumor was small (9MM) so at age 66 I opted to have it removed and preserve my hearing.  Hearing in left ear was at 80%.  I had my left side balance nerve removed and the tumor had to be peeled off my facial nerve.  I have vision problems because of the ointment I must use and facial weakness.  I drove once to a meeting at the end of April but won't drive again until I am better.  Up until last week I thought I was doing pretty good and now have a buzzing in my left ear, very dizzy every day (but I was not at the end of April) Just wondering if anyone had any of these symptoms at 3 months post op?

carjon0

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 02:26:45 pm »
I had to stop driving before GK treatment due to loss of balance - things moving around/towards me cause dizziness - and I became extremely dizzy looking over my shoulder, so I stopped. That was 2years ago. I've tried driving since then a couple of times, but I seem to have lost distance perception on the left - my AN is on the left. Even as a passenger, I'm sure that our car is going to hit cars to the left....pause here for sympathy for my poor husband driving the car  ::)
I can't tell how to park on the left either, and I used to be able to with no bother....honest!
No idea if this will settle, although as I love driving, I really hope so.

I think what all the posts and posters here show is how wide the differences are between our experiences of ANs.

gracey79

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 12:46:20 am »
I have driving issues too, driving to my FP Dr. yesterday was one of the first days in a looooonnnng time since I have not had odd feelings when I attempt to drive.  I was very upset because I was late and the only thing I can think of was that the adrenaline did something which made my dizziness etc disappear.  I have never driven off the road etc but it is still enough to keep me from driving except when I have to.

Just realized this thread is for post op, I am still w&w.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:48:12 am by gracey79 »
Diagnosed 2014 a while after mom was also diagnosed with a slightly smaller AN on opposite side(we are not NF2)
4/14   2.0x2.4x1.7
10/14 1.6x2.2x1.5
6/15   1.5x2.9x1.6
8/16   2.8x2.2x1.5
Watch and wait may be prepping for surgery soon 6/17?
Mom of 5
16,12,5,3, 8m

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 09:57:53 am »
Ampeep,

This is a driving regulation in NY STATE people with medical conditions that will interfere are only permitted to drive with permission obtained by a doctor sent in to NYSDMV and then must obtain documentation that it is ok to drive. That is why in 2005 (when I unexpectedly had a convulsion in my house) I had to obtain above and I could not drive for a year from my the date of my convulsion. There is a driving course taught at Kessler Rehabilation in NJ (I went there for outpatient care).

I still cannot back up and listen to conversation at the same time as a result of only being able to concentrate on one thing. This bugs my wife no end! Then I say honey, would you like to drive?

Of course, when I get no response, I grin!

Mike

1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

rodneyd

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 11:29:02 am »
On W and W for 1 year, have balance issues, especially when leaning forward or looking upward.  Also with walking on rough surfaces.  But I think my driving is fine, no hint of dizziness or any other symptoms, so I count my blessings and continue with my W and W path.

Good luck to you,

Rod
74year old male, 8.3x7.3x6.5 mm AN on 10-28-13.  MRI on 12-30-13 showed no growth.  Imbalance issues and mild tinnitus.  MRI on July 13, 2014 showed no growth.  Still on W & W and taking baby-aspirin regimen.  MRI in July, 2016 show slow growth (1.1 cm).  MRI on July 24, 2017 was 8.2 x 8.6 x 8 mm!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 01:49:53 pm »
Weighing in here .....  As Kathleen said "everyone is different."

In my case, I have lost vestibular function on both sides.  Following my first surgery, I was terrified to even think about driving when I could not walk a straight line.  So I waited a full six weeks, of my own choosing, before my husband said, "Let's go to a big, empty parking lot and let you try it."  I was amazed that I had no difficulty driving unless I turned my head too quickly to look over my shoulder to check lanes.  It seems as though my balance difficulties are primarily related to when I am trying to hold myself upright.  When driving, that is a non-issue, at least for me.  I am still very careful to use all of my side and rear-view mirrors routinely, as well as turn my head less vigorously than before.

I do not have trouble driving at night, but rarely do so, because I am totally disoriented when walking in the dark, so I would just have to sit in the car wherever I was going.   ;D

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ampeep

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 12:48:47 am »
Mike, that documentation sounds like what my friend was considering after his stroke.  There 's no specific requirement in Hawaii.

My balance and tinnitus is still pretty bad so was amazed that my AN shrank at my 6 month MRI.

Have difficulty in parking in "tight" parking garages - seems like there are lots of these challenges.  My biggest challenge when golfing is to keep from falling into bunkers!

I've always enjoyed driving - used to autocross.  Had a RX-7, Supra, MR-2, GS-300, and currently have an IS-300 & GS-350.  If my balance doesn't improve, my next car may have to be a "boring" people mover. :(