Author Topic: Fatigue Timeline?  (Read 2212 times)

Echo

Fatigue Timeline?
« on: April 24, 2014, 10:46:15 am »
I'm not sure if fatigue is a symptom more common with radiation or surgery or if it makes any difference, but I'm interested in the timeline of those experiencing this symptom. 

At 6 months post GK, I feel pretty darn good, but fatigue is still one of my main issues.  I suspect in my case it is partly due to the balance issues I have and the extra work my brain is doing to help me out.  I still need to take a 10 - 20 minute break at noon each day with my feet up and eyes closed to rest so that I can have a good afternoon at work.  Weekends when I get busy running around and miss my mid day rest, by 4 pm, I'm often forced to stop and take a break.  Those late afternoon breaks are when I need to set the alarm to make sure I wake up as I often go into a very deep sleep!

When should I start to notice a difference and need less rest?  What have others experienced?

Thanks,
Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

wintersmd

Re: Fatigue Timeline?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 01:12:27 pm »
Hi Cathy.  I am going on 10 months post op and still have fatigue issues.  I have to take a nap almost daily, and been told that it is pretty normal.  I have pretty bad balance issues and that I work through, and pretty bad headaches about 2 times per week that play a part in fatigue.  I hope in time I will be able to go without a nap, but for now, it is a must.  Hope this helps you with your issues.

Mike

Echo

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 05:42:54 am »
Hi Mike,

I'm sure we will both need less rest over time, I just wonder how much time.  I'm sure it varies between people based on the different treatments and symptoms experienced. 

Sorry to hear that on top of balance and fatigue you have to deal with headaches.  I've been very fortunate in that regard and have been headache free for quite a while now.  Hope you start to feel better soon!

Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

mesafinn

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 08:34:41 pm »
Hi Cathie,

It's great to see your post on this because after one year post-GK, I still require more rest than I ever used to need.  By about 3 p.m., I am fading and find a daily nap will recoup and regenerate me in a meaningful way.  I've been curious if others who have gone through GK (or CK?) experience this.

The days I go "napless" means the next day I'll be even lower on energy...and so I've learned to build in anywhere from 15-45 minutes each day to at least get into a reclining position and rest my eyes.   Not sure why this is needed, but my partner keeps reminding me our bodies have gone through a lot and are still in need of restoration!

Hope you stay very well.....Cheers,

P.
Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."