Author Topic: Gamma Knife in May - Any Advice?  (Read 4119 times)

New girl

Gamma Knife in May - Any Advice?
« on: April 20, 2014, 05:25:32 pm »
Hello fellow ANers,

My uncle in having Gamma Knife in May, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to make his treatment day smoother for him and his family?  I am familiar with AN surgery but have no experience with Gamma Knife.

Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate!

Thanks!
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

Echo

Re: Gamma Knife in May - Any Advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 09:51:45 am »
I think your uncle will find his day will run very smooth and most likely very non eventful.  He will be made quite comfortable during the process.

I've read many posts and know of a few people who were in and out within a few hours. A friend I met through our local support group, arrived at 5:30 a.m., had his treatment and was out in time to walk to a restaurant and meet a friend for lunch!! 

In my case I arrived at 5:30 a.m., had the head frame attached pretty much immediately, but did not have my treatment until 2 p.m.  Having to sit around for so long to have my treatment, made it a rather boring day.  You can't wear your glasses when the frame is on, so taking a book to read is a waste of time.  Taking an Ipod to listen to music would be handy or just having someone with you to chat with helps pass the time.  I unfortunately had a nasty headache immediately following the treatment when the head frame came off - they do warn you this can sometimes happen.  I was given something for pain and nausea through IV, an ice pack on the back of my neck and I slept for an hour.  I woke up and felt fine, no pain.  My sister and a girlfriend were with me and drove me home.  I had something to eat when I got home and went to bed to sleep.  The next day I felt just fine.  The following day I woke to swollen eyes that required ice packs to bring the swelling down.  I had no other issues.  Pin sites healed beautifully, no complications!

I'm sure your uncle will be fine.  It really is much easier than we expect it to be.

Best of luck.
Cathie
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:54:42 am by Echo »
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

cagneyd

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 06:50:45 pm »
As Cathie said, it can be a little boring. I was at the hospital at 6 and they started an IV and gave me a Ativan pill. The frame was next and that was by about 7:00. Since I already had an MRI 2 days before, at a different location because of my claustrophobia, I was sent to the CT scan and then waited for about an hour or so while they did the planning. I was in the Gamma Knife machine for about 45 min and then they removed the frame. I was out the door by 10:30. They had a television in the waiting areas and my wife was able to be with me, except for the frame fitting and removal and of course she was not present for the radiation. There were 2 other patients there for Gamma Knife as well and the staff kept things moving so it did not seem like I had a lot of waiting. The most stressful part was the thinking about the fitting of the frame but that was worse than the actual fitting. There is some stinging when they give you the lidocaine and then pressure on the scull but that goes away soon. Once it is on for about 20 minutes, there is no problem, at least in my case.

I wish your uncle well and I'm sure he will feel the relief I felt after it was over and it is certainly a wonderful alternative to surgery.
Dan Cagney

Diagnosed:  March 2014, with 1.2 cm AN left side.
Symptoms:  Tinnitus, 70% hearing loss, some balance issues.
             Alexian Brothers Medical Center -
             Illinois Gamma Knife Center, Elk Grove Village, IL

Echo

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 10:30:06 am »
I had the Ativan as well, which I forgot to mention.  It was great to help you relax and take the nervous feeling down a notch or two!  I had the needle for IV hooked up to my hand, but no actual IV fluid.  They used this later to inject the anti-nausea drug and pain meds when I needed them after the frame came off.  Much faster working than taking a pill orally.

Unlike cagneyd, I did not have access to a TV.   :( 

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

mesafinn

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 08:36:46 pm »
Remind your uncle that it might be radiosurgery---but it's still surgery of sorts!    He should listen to his body, not over-exert himself, get all the rest he can (post-treatment), and do all the things we're all supposed to do:  diet (as in healthy foods), exercise, and plenty of sleep.

Wishing him all the best!
Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."

robinb

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 09:33:47 pm »
I was so worked up and terrified about the whole headframe thing and it turned out to be a non event. No pain and slept through most of it. Just take it easy and relax and get as much down time as possible in the following months after. I didn't, had some post GK side effects that are all gone now. May have been lessened if my schedule was less demanding. But being an A type personality, I wouldn't give into it and allow it to dominate my life style.

-Robin
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 09:30:22 am »
I had surgery, not radiation, so I really have no advice for your uncle.

Just wanted to say good luck to him.

Please keep us posted on his progress.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways