Author Topic: I had my Gamma Knife surgery 4/11/14  (Read 7933 times)

cagneyd

I had my Gamma Knife surgery 4/11/14
« on: April 11, 2014, 04:31:08 pm »
I had my Gamma Knife surgery this morning and it all proceeded as I expected. My expectations were based on research on this site, various you tube and other videos and, of course from the Doctors and staff at the Illinois Gamma Knife Surgery Center at Alexian Brothers Medical Center in Elk Grove Village, IL. They are such a very caring group of people who show their concern for you and your fears.

My team: Neurosurgeon Dr. George K. Bovis, Radiation Oncologist Dr. Ramji Rajendran, Physicist Jagan Venkatesan, and Nurses Karen Mnichowicz and Laura Johnson.

They worked as a team and did their best to make sure I was comfortable and explained everything. One expectation that I had was that the fitting of the frame would be uncomfortable, And it sure was. But it was not unbearable. I got there at 6:00AM and was out the door by 10:30AM and that was with 2 other patients interspersed into the process. They worked like clockwork,  Because it turned out I was very claustrophobic, they arranged for me to have a large bore MRI 2 days before at another facility. They affixed the frame and the worst part was the pressure but that quickly subsided. The pin sites had some pain but it was not bad and felt better over time.  Then once the frame was affixed, I had the CAT scan and after they did their planning, merging the data from the 2 MRI’s, and the CAT scan, I had the radiosurgery on the new Perfexion system, No claustrophobia, I listened to the Eagles and others from Pandora that Karen had piped in from her iphone. Very uneventful, It was amazing how my head could not move a millimeter, The frame attached to the machine was solid. By the time they removed the frame, I had no pain. After the frame was removed, I did get a mild to moderate headache and the pain at the pin sites returned but, again, not real bad.

Don’t tell my wife but the 40 mile ride home (no freeways or tollroads because she's too nervous and won’t use them), was probably the most distressing part of the day. Took us an hour and a half to get home with a few white knuckle moments. She usually never drives when we are together.

It is now 5:20PM and I have virtually no pain but I understand I can expext swelling around the eyes and some pain on the pin sites.

I could have waited and watched for a while but, for me, this was the best choice. My wife was my rock and support and I love her for it.

Now I go back in 6 months for another Dr visit and check on the progress.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:35:59 pm by cagneyd »
Dan Cagney

Diagnosed:  March 2014, with 1.2 cm AN left side.
Symptoms:  Tinnitus, 70% hearing loss, some balance issues.
             Alexian Brothers Medical Center -
             Illinois Gamma Knife Center, Elk Grove Village, IL

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: I had my Gamma Knife surgery this morning
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 01:24:14 pm »
Cagneyd ~

Congratulations on a successful GK procedure!  We appreciate you're sharing the experience with other AN patients who may be contemplating radiation.  Please try to keep us updated.  Thanks.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Echo

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 03:48:48 pm »
Congratulations Cagneyd!  Doesn't it feel great to have the treatment behind you!

I had trouble with my eyes swelling for 3 days after my Gamma treatment.  Not only did they swell, but they bruised as well.  If you notice any swelling at all, get busy with some ice packs and it will help immensely.

Take care and keep well.
Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

lorjacks

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 01:52:17 pm »
Thank you for sharing! I am getting ready to go see Dr. Eshraghi at the Univ. of Miami to talk to him about radiosurgery so any info for me is appreciated.
Take care
L.  ;)
diagnosed in 2009
W&W 5 years
AN grew to 2.4
CK at the University of Miami Sylvester Center
July 30, 2014
"By heaven, man, we are turned round and round in this world, like yonder windlass, and Fate is the handspike"... Melville

cagneyd

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 05:51:52 pm »
Update.

Most swelling to my eyes occurred this morning but now has started to recede. Very little pain at the pin sites and no more headache. This sure beats real surgery and I am counting on the tumor shrinking. If only the tinnitus would quiet down. I can live with the reduced hearing.
Dan Cagney

Nank

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 10:24:06 am »
Sounds like things went well.

My pin sites hurt me for two weeks!

I wish my tinnitus would also die down.  But it has not at all!
1.3x0.7 cm AN in right ear
Diagnosed 6/12/13
Tinnitus, ear pain
No hearing loss
GK 7/25/13

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 07:43:38 pm »
Welcome fellow "Zapper" to the other side of the fence!   Hoping for quick tumor death!   ...and of course shrinkage at your next MRI!
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

cagneyd

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 05:35:24 pm »
Its been 3 weeks since my Gamma Knife and no effects that I can perceive. Tinnitus has been almost constant and hearing loss is still the same. Occasional balance issue. All in all, everything is the same so far.
Dan Cagney

ForumParticipant

Re: I had my Gamma Knife surgery 4/11/14
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 07:37:50 am »
Hi cagneyd!

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm curious to hear if you have any updates in Dec. 2016. I certainly hope you've be coming along well.