Author Topic: I can whistle !  (Read 4197 times)

Gloria Nailor

I can whistle !
« on: April 11, 2014, 02:06:22 pm »
I had my surgery almost 3 years ago now.  I had complete facial paralysis and thought I would never regain any of it back.  But I prayed to God and he answered my prayers. During the week before my one year anniversary I regained a crooked smile.  I just woke up one day and it was there, not small movements growing bigger but a smile all at once. I have been slowly regaining small facial movements around my mouth and cheeks since then. My father told me soon after surgery that I would some day call him on the phone (he lives in Florida, I live in Vermont) and whistle for him, I doubted this would ever happen, even with my little crooked smile.  He would ask me frequently if I could whistle and I would say no.  I would try once in awhile without success. Yesterday I heard a song on the radio that had whistling in it and tried to whistle but was unsuccessful. I was trying to whistle the traditional way with my lips pursed together. I used to have a very loud whistle by curling up my tongue and putting my thumb and forefinger together and pressing against my curled tongue, while blowing out.  I tried this and guess what......?
4/2011 diagnosed with 3 cm AN on right side
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
7/2011 gold weight placed right eye lid
5/2012 tarsorrpapny right eye
6/2012 woke up with a smile
1/2013 cranioplasty because a screw came out of my head!
6-7/13 regrowth, GK

Gloria Nailor

Re: I can whistle !
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 02:09:48 pm »
sorry for the suspense there, I ran out of room to type.
I COULD WHISTLE !  I called my dad and when he answered the phone I let out my loudest whistle yet and I think I actually heard him smile when he talked.  So....the moral of my story is do NOT give up hope, things may not happen in the time frame we want, but things do improve.  And if things don't work the way they used to, find a new way. Hang in there, Be well.....Gloria
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
6-7/13 regrowth, GK

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 06:03:40 pm »
Great news!

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Kristena

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 09:29:17 am »
I could never do the one-hand whistle, but I used to do the same with my two index fingers curling my tongue YEARS ago. I wasn't able to get a whistle going that way, but I was able to get creative and block my loose lips on the affected side with two fingers and could hear a very faint whistle the regular way! I won't keep trying that due to my synkenesis, but it was fun to be able to whistle again! Thanks!
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

Gloria Nailor

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 01:44:08 pm »
Thanks Tod.
Congrats to you, Kristena
6-7/13 regrowth, GK