Author Topic: Stephanie post op  (Read 4393 times)

Skishortstuff

Stephanie post op
« on: April 03, 2014, 02:53:35 pm »
Steph is out of the ICU. She has facial palsy, back and neck pain. She had severe nausea for 24 hours after surgery. With that and her pain under control she has been able to rest, eat and she is getting out of bed more frequently and for longer periods of time.
AN diagnosed 3/10/14 3cm ear- scheduled translab 4/1 at Swedish-- Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital Approach:4/1/14 tumour was actually 4., SSD, complete vestibular removal

rodneyd

Re: Stephanie post op
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 03:31:10 pm »
Thanks for the posting on Steph's condition.  She is in my prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

Rod
74year old male, 8.3x7.3x6.5 mm AN on 10-28-13.  MRI on 12-30-13 showed no growth.  Imbalance issues and mild tinnitus.  MRI on July 13, 2014 showed no growth.  Still on W & W and taking baby-aspirin regimen.  MRI in July, 2016 show slow growth (1.1 cm).  MRI on July 24, 2017 was 8.2 x 8.6 x 8 mm!

Hokiegal

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 04:17:10 pm »
Hi Benson, sorry to hear she's having a rough time of it.  I had similar issues the first few days.  It took a few tries, but we (they) finally found a good combination of anti-nausea meds, pain meds, and muscle relaxers.  Turns out there's a bit of an art to it.  Things should get better from here.  We even had a football viewing party in my room the last night -- nurses and docs I'd never seen before were "checking on me" :)

Hope you are able to get some rest, also.  I was fortunate to have both my husband and my dad with me so they could swap shifts, but even so it can be exhausting.  Thanks for keeping us posted, and please know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers.  Hugs from South Carolina!  My family and friends in Alaska, Utah, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and France are thinking of y'all, too.

Mary
3.0cm AN diagnosed 08/11, age 47
surgery 09/11, Dr. Patel (MUSC), 95% removed
SSD with tinnitus, right side facial paralysis, vision and balance issues
facial movement much improved, and still returning after 3yrs
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni

rodneyd

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 12:49:16 pm »
Hi Steph,

Any latest word on your post surgery condition?  I know you were having some difficulties with the symptoms and was hoping your condition had improved substantially!

Good luck in any event.

Rod
74year old male, 8.3x7.3x6.5 mm AN on 10-28-13.  MRI on 12-30-13 showed no growth.  Imbalance issues and mild tinnitus.  MRI on July 13, 2014 showed no growth.  Still on W & W and taking baby-aspirin regimen.  MRI in July, 2016 show slow growth (1.1 cm).  MRI on July 24, 2017 was 8.2 x 8.6 x 8 mm!

Skishortstuff

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 09:34:31 am »
 :)Hi all, I'm now almost five weeks post op. I still have facial paralysis but can move my cheek and am starting to smile. My eye waters and blinks almost all the way. I hiked 6 miles on Friday and also drove. I attribute this to starting my vestibular therapy.  Very dizzy but it gets better the more you move your head. I saw tons of improvements once I quit those awful meds. I'm hoping to go back to work in two weeks- we'll see what my therapists say. Sleeping is still tough- I take a Tylenol PM at night to help with that and Advil and ice on my dang neck as needed during the day. I'm home alone now; my husband took 3 weeks to be with me. I'm ready now for what life throws at me! Bring it! I feel if I can get through this- I can get through anything. I'm calling Delashaw's office to release me for work in the middle of May. I'm here to help anyone- I've certainly learned a ton.
AN diagnosed 3/10/14 3cm ear- scheduled translab 4/1 at Swedish-- Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital Approach:4/1/14 tumour was actually 4., SSD, complete vestibular removal

CatzEyes

• are we having fun yet?
    • Art for Art's Sake Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 11:46:31 am »
Stephanie, I am so glad to hear you're in so much better condition. I'll be in Dr Delashaw's good care myself on Tuesday, the 13th, and swing from upbeat and positive to scared witless ... I guess depending on the position of the stars or the state of the tide.  :)

My husband will be with me in Seattle until I'm out of ICU and into a room, but then heads back to Olympia to feed cats and look after the house. I'm hoping there'll be a point at which I feel comfortable allowing work friends to come visit: three gals in Seattle have offered to bring flowers, "real food" or just help me walk if I need them, but I'd sure want to be stable enough that I didn't collapse and freak them out!
Middle Fossa surgery at Swedish, Seattle, Drs Delashaw and Bacchus, 5/5/14. Retained 98% hearing in surgical ear after 6 months recovery time.
diagnosed 3/15/14 :: 6mm x 4mm x 3mm AN in right ear.
mother diagnosed 3/2005 8mm; gamma knife 2007 at 14mm. some regrowth, pressing balance nerve, by 2012

Skishortstuff

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 09:10:57 pm »
You'll be great. Dr. Delshaw and Dr.Bachous remind me of rock stars. You're in good hands.