Author Topic: Regrowth after / around the 5 year mark!!!!! surgery questions  (Read 3682 times)

Micky

Hi all,

Well It's been a while since I have posted on this site as up until my 5 year MRI things have being going well. So I have been diagnosed with a regrowth (did not ask the ENT how big as I was in shock! looked to be around the 5mm + mark. It seems the reference to AN and it being a brain tumour has been removed from most sites I have been looking at?

So my ENT wants to operate again and remove it, I want to look at more options this time as I feel I rushed into the surgery decision however being around 4cm on surgery day did not give me a heap of options.

Can someone please provide me with some good sites with information (or even name the types of AN removal options for me to research) on what is out there for removal, Im hearing all these new Gamma Knife and other ways or removal. Im nervous as I had some facial issues after surgery (100% recovered from that now) but would like to take the lowest risk approach and if that means going under the knife again then so be it.

Thanks in advance
Michael
3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma Removed 30/01/08

john1455

Re: Regrowth after / around the 5 year mark!!!!! surgery questions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 08:49:22 pm »
http://stanfordhospital.org/clinicsmedServices/COE/cyberknife/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbS4K9ENMAg

If you do a "acoustic neuroma" search on You Tube, you will get lots of information about treatment as well as what some patients endured as a result of their choice. This will help guide you on what type of treatment to choose.
Diagnosed with 19x16x19mm cystic AN right side on 7/2013
MRI on 3/2014 showed AN increased to 21x20mm
right side 70% hearing loss, tinnitus, balance issues
CK at Stanford completed 3/21/2014 (3 sessions)
Dr Steven Chang and Dr Iris Gibbs

Micky

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 11:50:13 pm »
Thanks John

This has been super helpful, I had no idea the amount of information on You Tube. Thanks for the below links especially the Isaac Yang clip on You Tube.

Mick

elsie

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 07:59:35 pm »
I also have regrowth..9mm after complete removal a long time ago.  My surgeon, a phone consult from House, and two consults by my neurologist with AN docs all recommend watch and wait and Gamma Knife if the beast shows growth on a 1 year follow-up MRI.  not happy right now, but have to listen to them.  i would get a second opinion.
Very large AN removed Aug., 1988 - pushed cerebellum aside, touching brain stem
Dr. Wiet in Hinsdale did 12 hour surgery, got it all
Total right-side facial paralysis for 6 months, 50 - 75% return
Extreme dry eye and tinnitus in both ears
Lost all hearing in AN ear
1/8/14  AN Regrowth confirmed

Micky

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 10:08:35 pm »
Thanks Elsie

I'm sorry to hear about your regrowth. I am currently looking into all my options and watch and wait could be one of those.

Michael