Author Topic: Is anyone else uninsurable?  (Read 5633 times)

britbert

Is anyone else uninsurable?
« on: September 12, 2006, 05:34:28 pm »
About a year and a half ago my husband became self-employed and we lost our health insurance.  We figured that we would just get an individual plan for our family.  It never occured to us that I would be uninsurable since my tumor was completely removed and benign.  My 18 months of cobra coverage just expired.  Yesterday I mailed in my application for my state health insurance pool (for people who can't get insurance).  I am now waiting to hear back and hope that I get accepted. 

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  I am a 31 year old stay-at-home mom and am considered, by all of the health insurance companies that we looked into, to be uninsurable for life.  (If my husband ever decided to go back to work for a regular company with benefits, then the companies health care provider would have to insure me.  But unless and until that happens...)

Any thoughts?

Brittany
AN Surgery (left) @ age 28; 1.21.2004
Dr. Shelton & Dr. MacDonald
University of Utah Hospital

DeniseSmith

Re: Is anyone else uninsurable?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 06:11:15 am »
Brit,
I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your insurance. When I started back to work part time, no one told me that I had to work a minimum number of hours to keep my insurance going,  I wasn't so they dropped me. Right in the middle of my physical therapy sessions and right before I could have the weight put in my eye. After about a month, and me increasing my work hours, they reinstated me.   I hate dealing with insurance.  I do want you to know though that this year i did apply for and was approved for additional life insurance.  They asked a ton of questions, and I know they contacted my doctor.  I was sure i would be denied, but in the end I was approved.  So don't give up. I am sure you will get your new insurance!

Denise 8)

Static

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 07:06:25 am »
I was also told that, unless I want to premiums that are through the roof, I am uninsurable for life insurance at this point in time.  My an surgery was approximately 2-1/2 years ago and to date there has been no regrowth.  I think that maybe when the insurance companies hear "tumor" they freak out.   :-\
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

DeniseSmith

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 01:32:56 pm »
Static, maybe you should check around.  My premium is quite reasonable, of which I am surprised.

:D

shoegirl

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 02:53:01 pm »
Speaking completely out of turn as I am not an insurance agent or underwriter,

But I think in some cases "certain" conditions are uninsurable for the first two years.  We have a family policy, they excluded coverage of my pineal gland cyst for 2 years (this was before I knew I had AN) but now they cover my annual MRI.  It probably varies based on the condition?  Not sure, but don't give up!
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

staypoz

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 03:35:50 pm »
Britbert, did you check to see if you could convert your COBRA to a private policy?  As I understand it (and I'm no expert) with that kind of conversion, coverage can't be denied because of pre-existing conditions.  Unfortunatley, the conversion policies are usuallly VERY expensive.

staypoz

Raydean

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 10:26:44 am »
I'm not an expert either, but the key to maintaining coverage is making sure that the health coverage is continuous.  If the Cobra was set to expired the last day of the month, it's important to have your new plan set and ready to go the next day so there is no laspes in between the two insurances.  By doing so you avoid the pre existing clauses and the new insurance has to accept you.  If there is a laspe in coverage then it becomes a  pre existing conditon which results in no coverage for a specified period of time for the AN and insurance companies are able to deny and not accept you on their plan.

I wish you insurance agent had explain this to you,and the time limits that you were on. It might be worth a call to see if he/she can assist you in obtaining coverage.

Thinking of you
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

wanderer

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 07:37:31 pm »
I am an insurance broker,   however I am not licensed in Utah.

So I would look at getting your cobra converted before it runs out.   It will most likely be expensive but insurance cheaper than paying for surgeries and such yourself.

Also shop around  contact a local insurance broker and see if they can help you find a carrier.

I checked around right after surgery and found that I was uninsurable for 5 years for life insurance from the companies I talked to.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 07:01:32 am »
Brittany: Here in Ontario this is not a problem however I have had difficulties with getting mortage insurance, even when we just renew our mortage I have to always go through a hugh pile of papers and get several forms signed. It's always frustrating 'cause I end up getting calls from the company and trying to explain to a non-medical person about AN's, when they have never heard of such a thing is a pain. One guy was so out of it he thought I had my hysterectomy to remove my AN and then wondered how it was that I had a regrowth!
Just keeping looking for options because I would think any insurance prem. would be far less than a surgery cost in the long run.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

wanderer

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 01:14:03 pm »
I checked with an underwriter yesterday for a company and Life insurance shouldn't be  a problem after 1 year if you don't have complications.      It is usually rated,  so that increases the cost,  but it is possible.

I haven't heard anything about health insurance yet.

britbert

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 10:18:07 pm »
Thanks Everyone for your input! I received a letter today saying that I was accepted to the state health insurance pool (health insurace for uninsured people).  I still have to meet with someone from there to be fully accepted, but that sounds like it is just a formality. I am so excited. I picked the $5,000 deductible option and my monthly payments will only be $200.  (How much is an MRI again ;)?) Well, at least that's one nightmare coming to a close...

As for life insurance, my husband and I got a policy before I ever learned about my AN. I have been wanting to increase the limit, though, but figured I have a really slim chance. Plus I don't want to alert them to the fact that I had a brain tumor.

Thanks again everyone. 

Brittany
AN Surgery (left) @ age 28; 1.21.2004
Dr. Shelton & Dr. MacDonald
University of Utah Hospital

wanderer

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 08:44:46 am »
Yes I purchased my own Whole Life Policy at preferred rates about 1 year prior to being diagnosed.   

If you already have a policy then there is no need to worry about alerting the insurance company.   You already have a contract.   Especially after 2 years,    even if you lied on the application after 2 years they are stuck with it.