Author Topic: Pleasures for yourself after Acoustic Neuroma treatment  (Read 7444 times)

Palace

• Palace
Pleasures for yourself after Acoustic Neuroma treatment
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:02:09 pm »
What are your interests after surgery?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:03:18 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Pleasures for yourself after Acoustic Neuroma treatment
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 10:15:22 am »
I think you should delete the link to that website.

You get one person posting a commercial website, you get everybody posting commercial websites and that's not what these forums are for.

It's one thing to post products and services related to AN's but artwork, no.

Not any more than I would post gun dealers (I like guns) or auto parts stores (I'm a car hobbyist).

And I wouldn't even think to post my sister's website. She's an artist and sells her paintings. My other sister has a business writing internet dating profiles for people to use in personal ads.
I wouldn't post her website either. Let's see. One friend of mine owns a garage door business. He has a website. And another friend of mine performs services for the elderly. He's got a website, too.

See how this can get out of hand?

Let's nip it in the bud, shall we.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

New girl

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 11:25:37 am »
I am not getting involved in the debate of what is appropriate...but I did love the artwork.  Loved the colors!  I hope to visit Venice one day.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 02:48:02 pm »
Are you a moderator AJ? No you are not. If what you said had come from Jim or one of the other moderators, I'd have accepted and respected that, however begrudgingly.

5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

arizonajack

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 06:17:06 pm »
Are you a moderator AJ? No you are not.

Never said I was.

And, in case you missed it, I started my first sentence with the words "I think" which should have been a clue that it was my personal opinion.

If what you said had come from Jim or one of the other moderators, I'd have accepted and respected that, however begrudgingly.

I don't live for your acceptance or respect, begrudgingly or otherwise.  ::)

What matters is that the poster removed the commercial link. That's all that counts.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

Crazycat

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 06:54:34 pm »
Dear Apple Jack,

"Commercial link" doesn't wash here in that she was not intending to sell anything. In one of her posts she clarified it was only to provide a look at what she was doing with her life outside of being afflicted with an acoustic neuroma; and yes, it is acceptable for people to discuss things outside of being afflicted with AN. Take a look at some of the thread headings under "AN Community".

You say you prefaced your remarks with the disclaimer "I think". Regardless of what you may "think", what you in fact did was needlessly take a swipe at someone and hurt their feelings. But moreover, if you had been chummy with Palace, what you said wouldn't even have been a remote consideration. I "think" you have an axe to grind with her for some reason.

"I don't live for your acceptance or respect, begrudgingly or otherwise." And, in like manner, we should not have to live for your acceptance and respect—especially given that you are not a moderator.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:12:50 pm by Crazycat »
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 07:35:20 pm »
I would ask all forum members to NOT use this forum as a means to argue with others.  We all have free will and can choose whether or not to pursue "extracurricular" topics that are posted.  If a moderator finds something inappropriate, the post can be removed by said moderator.  I notice that posts have a "report to moderator" link.  Maybe somebody who is offended by a particular post should do just that - and we can all play nicely. 
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

nftwoed

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 09:04:14 pm »
Hi;
   I reported two posts to moderator and received no reply within a couple days. So, I removed my part of the topic, or entire topic I had begun myself.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 10:03:31 pm »
Hi folks!! I am afraid I am going to have to step in and call a time out on everyone.  The wonderful part of this forum is that people can feel comfortable in asking questions and getting help with what you all know is a life altering condition.  It's very easy to start taking jabs at people when they say something that may come across wrong to them.  So please folks, lets keep it civil. Thanks!

Jay
ANA Discussion Forum Moderator
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

arizonajack

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 10:28:58 pm »
Dear Apple Jack,

"Commercial link" doesn't wash here in that she was not intending to sell anything. In one of her posts she clarified it was only to provide a look at what she was doing with her life outside of being afflicted with an acoustic neuroma; and yes, it is acceptable for people to discuss things outside of being afflicted with AN. Take a look at some of the thread headings under "AN Community".

You say you prefaced your remarks with the disclaimer "I think". Regardless of what you may "think", what you in fact did was needlessly take a swipe at someone and hurt their feelings. But moreover, if you had been chummy with Palace, what you said wouldn't even have been a remote consideration. I "think" you have an axe to grind with her for some reason.

"I don't live for your acceptance or respect, begrudgingly or otherwise." And, in like manner, we should not have to live for your acceptance and respect—especially given that you are not a moderator.

I guess your just one of those people who have to have the last word.

Well, that's OK with me.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

Crazycat

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 10:33:54 pm »
Good!

arizonajack

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 11:15:21 am »
Good!

Happy that I could please you.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 04:38:32 am »
Hi all,

First and foremost, thank you Jay for your help! :)

2nd, as you can see, this thread has been moved to AN Community as discussions that related to hobbies, outside interests, etc, really should be discussed in the "AN Community" forum where we tend to discuss these things. 

I would also like to thank everyone that reported this showing you all recognize how these forums are typically used and what you believe to be appropriate or not. I commend you for taking steps you feel were appropriate to help keep these forums in check.

I would like to remind everyone of the Forum Netiquettes, which can be found here:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=4.0

The ANA has put them in place for a reason and every now and then, it's nice to remind everyone, especially those that may be new to the forums, as to what is appropriate and not.  The ANA has clearly spelled this out for all forum users.

It is also reminded that if discussions become a little heated (which we have certainly seen here over the years), we ask that you kindly take the discussions offline (ie: PM/email).

Should you have any questions about this, all Moderators and Administrators inboxes are open for your use.  You can click on the "PM" icon below our usernames for assistance.

Thanks all!
Phyl
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:40:29 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"