Author Topic: Side Effects after Gamma Knife treatment  (Read 67935 times)

Gloria Nailor

Re: Side Effects after Gamma Knife treatment
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 09:53:11 am »
Well, here I am almost two years out from my GK, I had surgery prior to that. My headaches resolved for a few months and are now returning, almost daily with some migraines thrown in a couple days a months too. I tried a bunch of different prescription meds but hated the side effects, so I treat them with motrin mostly. They told me I could see side effects of the GK for up to 2 years, so I am thinking the headaches are here for good. Truthfully though, I take some motrin and go on about my day, still working too. They aren't debilitating, just a nuisance. On a good note, I noticed I have a small smile, the use of my mouth muscles returned almost a year post surgery, but this is different , it's a reflexive smile !!!!! I don't even have to make myself smile, it is automatic, so hang in there.  Smiles, Gloria
4/2011 diagnosed with 3 cm AN on right side
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
7/2011 gold weight placed right eye lid
5/2012 tarsorrpapny right eye
6/2012 woke up with a smile
1/2013 cranioplasty because a screw came out of my head!
6-7/13 regrowth, GK

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 04:53:13 am »
Hi Gloria,

Had you been experiencing headaches prior to your GK treatment?
Hopefully the headaches have subsided, as it's been nearly 3 years since your Gamma Knife.
Where did you have the procedure?

Best wishes.
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 06:19:21 pm »

I’m sorry, I think I missed something, Gloria. You had a screw come loose? I’ve had several loose screws in my day, but they were all fictional, a product of my occasionally hyperactive imagination. Please explain.

Take Care  ;)

Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 06:21:32 pm »
Disregard, I just Googled cranioplasty. I get it now. Gourd or precious metal?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:23:37 pm by Doc »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Gloria Nailor

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 08:42:52 pm »
Sorry Mcrue and Doc to respond so late, I think of everyone here often but only check in here and there. I have had migraines and headaches since childhood but nothing like I have had since 1.5 years after my GK.  But I had surgery, then an infection and then GK, my head has been through a lot :( when my incision became infected is when I actually had a titanium screw from my surgery come out through the incision. I keep looking for ways to help with my headaches. I don't let them keep me from doing things usually though.  I do acupuncture, go to my chiropractor, do some stretches, wear magnets, eat Motrin and Tylenol and Aleve like cand, which all help a little.  Prescription meds were giving me side effects. What I meant by my earlier comments about  flying was that flying relieved my headaches ! I just need to take more frequent vacations. Be well everyone, Gloria
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
6-7/13 regrowth, GK

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 09:36:26 am »
I've had a dull headache (2 out of 10 strength) ever since I left GK treatment 3 weeks ago.
I attributed it to a cold/flu.
I hope it not from the radiation, as it's not going away.
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan

Doug Butler

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 04:05:42 am »
Hello all,

I had GK in October and a shunt put in about six weeks ago.  I started experiencing confusion and there was definitely something going on with my brain pressure.  My tumor was much larger than most peoples and this was an extremely complicated surgery.  At this time, I started having headaches, which were very severe.  I am taking narcotics to control this at this time and hope that this gets better with time...  Through my research, I 'think' that this is related to "Microglia Activation".  It seems that everybody has a different experience but the headaches can be quite severe.  If I don't continue taking the narcotics, it would be unbearable!!!  Lets hope that this goes away in time.  I feel 'very lucky' that this procedure is being done and I know that there is no magic pill for this stuff... Doug

Gloria Nailor

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 06:47:29 pm »
Dear Doug and Mcrue, I hope both of your headaches are subsiding. Mcrue, I had a dull headache a few weeks after my GK treatment and they placed me on a few day course of prednisone and it resolved at that time. These nuisance headaches started about 1.5 years after GK. The surgeons and GK docs don't believe it is related to GK though, but I beg to differ. I had brain surgery, an infection in my skull, skull surgery and GK, I believe this lovely combination has caused my headaches. They are usually quite tolerable. I've recently noticed that tightness in my back can make them more uncomfortable, so I started physical therapy.  They think I might have scar tissue on the side of my surgery around my skull incision, this scarring may be tugging on my back muscles and adding to my headaches. Doug, I hope the shunt has helped to relieve pressure in your head and your feeling better. If there is anything to say about acoustic neuromas, it would be that no two journeys are the same. Rest up and feel better !
6-7/13 regrowth, GK