Author Topic: 2nd surgery or GK after failure of 1st surgery  (Read 513 times)

MikeW

  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
2nd surgery or GK after failure of 1st surgery
« on: June 19, 2013, 03:43:47 PM »
Haven't been on the AN Forum for a long time.  My hubby Mike had Translab surgery on Dec. 20th, 2012.  He had already lost his hearing in his left ear and his balance was affected.  At the postop discussion with Mike's neurosurgeon and Otologist, they said they had to leave some of the tumor behind because it was stuck to everything(the facial nerve and the brain stem), but they said Mike was doing well and that surgery went well.  After surgery he had challenges during recovery, but 2 weeks out was feeling much better.  He had facial paralysis and had to wear an eye chamber since he couldn't blink.  Then he could blink, but only when he focused, so quit the eye chamber and used lots of eye drops.  Mike exercises almost daily and has worked on balance exercises daily as well.  His balance is maybe 85% as well as facial nerve is at 85%.  He still gets new sensations on the left side of his face, so we are hopeful for more recovery.
His 3 month Post Op MRI showed the doctors got less than 20% of the tumor out.  Mike said, "What were you doing in there for 8 hours?"  We were devastated.  The neurosurgeon did not recommend a second surgery and said if we insisted he would go retro.  He did recommend GK.  The otologist does not recommend GK, but to watch and wait.  The remaining tumor is 2 cm.  All doctors said we have time to make the decision.  The otologist said the tumor was hard like rubber and felt if anyone tried to remove it again, there would be a chance of permanent facial nerve damage.  I have sent questions to the House Clinic, who had said in the past that they always can remove at least 90% of the tumor.  I will update when we consult with them. 
7-18-12 MRI 2cm AN, 100% loss of useful hearing and some balance issues.
12-20-12 Translab only removed 10% of tumor, slow recovery of facial nerve
9 month post op MRI 2.6cm
1-23-14 Revision Translab on 3.4cm AN at House Clinic.  They removed 98% of tumor and facial nerve not damaged. We're thrilled

MikeW

  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
Re: 2nd surgery or GK after failure of 1st surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »
Has anyone ever had a doctor say he could not remove the tumor because it was stuck to everything and too difficult of a consistency?  Has anyone ever had micro surgery on an AN and the doctor got only 10-20% of the tumor out?
7-18-12 MRI 2cm AN, 100% loss of useful hearing and some balance issues.
12-20-12 Translab only removed 10% of tumor, slow recovery of facial nerve
9 month post op MRI 2.6cm
1-23-14 Revision Translab on 3.4cm AN at House Clinic.  They removed 98% of tumor and facial nerve not damaged. We're thrilled

nftwoed

  • Guest
Re: 2nd surgery or GK after failure of 1st surgery
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 12:12:36 PM »
Hello Mike;

   Must say in 13 years, I've never read a story quite like yours.
   If this is the case and you elect GK, where is the target? Same also, RS?
   Is the remnant AN larger than the other remnants, or in a more sensitive area?
   I believe there is a real chance of danger to the facial nerve in any repeated procedure.
   Re, House, no doubt they are good, but my feeling is there's no end to their bragging either. Like JHH and "we demand names" comment. As if neither facility Drs can do no wrong!
   So, they've removed over 8,000 ANs @ House ( personal email I received from one of their Neurotologists ). Complications and outcomes we're not discussed, however.
   There exist other good surgeons and radiation providers. "Watch and Wait", well ... when is the next MRI/audiogram?
   How old are you, Mike?

 


anything