Author Topic: Dental x-rays as cause of ANs (VS)  (Read 16948 times)

Dee-dee

Dental x-rays as cause of ANs (VS)
« on: May 03, 2013, 05:24:27 pm »
J Neurosurg. 2012 Dec;117 Suppl:78-83. doi: 10.3171/2012.5.GKS12615.

Are frequent dental x-ray examinations associated with increased risk of vestibular schwannoma?

Han YY, Berkowitz O, Talbott E, Kondziolka D, Donovan M, Lunsford LD.

Source

Department of Epidemiology, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Abstract

OBJECT:

The authors evaluated the potential role of environmental risk factors, including exposure to diagnostic or therapeutic radiation and to wireless phones that emit nonionizing radiation, in the etiology of vestibular schwannoma (VS).

METHODS:

A total of 343 patients with VSs who underwent Gamma Knife surgery performed between 1997 and 2007 were age and sex matched to 343 control patients from the outpatient degenerative spinal disorders service at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. The authors obtained information on previous exposure to medical radiation, use of wireless phone technologies, and other environmental factors thought to be associated with the development of a VS. Conditional multivariate logistic regression was used to estimate adjusted odds ratios (aORs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs).

RESULTS:

After adjusting for race, education, cigarette smoking, alcohol consumption, occupational exposure to noise, use of cell phones, and family history of cancer, the authors identified only a single factor that was associated with a higher risk of VS: individuals exposed to dental x-rays once a year (aOR = 2.27, 95% CI = 1.01-5.09) or once every 2-5 years (aOR = 2.65, 95% CI = 1.20-5.85), compared with those exposed less than once every 5 years. Of interest, a history of exposure to radiation related to head or head-and-neck computed tomography was associated with a reduced risk of VS (aOR = 0.52, 95% CI = 0.30-0.90). No relationship was found between the use of cell phones or cordless phones and VS.

CONCLUSIONS:

Patients with acoustic neuromas reported significantly more exposure to dental x-rays than a matched cohort control group. Reducing the frequency of dental x-ray examinations may decrease the potential risk of VS.
2.3 cm AN.   Hearing loss and other symptoms. Gamma knife 2011.

PaulW

Re: Dental x-rays as cause of ANs (VS)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 07:50:53 pm »
I read this report some time ago and was a little surprised.
I would like to propose a suggestion as to why this observation could be.

Acoustic Neuromas are actually not that rare.
Yes I am sure we have all seen the figures...
Currently about 1.4 per 100000 per year.

We also know that many AN's go undiagnosed for many years, an many people will never be diagnosed.

Those of us that are a little more health conscious are more and pushy, will try to get an answer to our problems.
We will probably visit the doctor more regularly if we have real health concerns. We will probably visit the dentist more often and opt for the dental xray.

Others will ignore the deafness, wont go to the doctor, or only go once.
These are more likely to be the same people that only go to the dentist when they have a tooth ache.
And probably have less dental xrays.

Results can often be driven by patient selection, and for me I think the more proactive we are the more likely we are to get an AN diagnosis. We probably have more dental X-rays because in general we are better educated and more health conscious and proactive in our approach to our health.

Dental Xrays doses are extremely low, and hold about the same risk as flying on a short haul flight.

I strongly believe that these results are caused by the self selecting nature of those getting AN treatment
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

mikechinnock

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 09:55:28 pm »
It is easy to rationalize anything. The simple fact is that ionizing radiation can indeed cause an acoustic neuroma. It is the only recognized cause. It only takes one charged particle, or photon hitting the right spot to cause the damage. No matter how much one wishes to get into statistics, it really only takes one hit. Yes the more dental x-rays one has, the more greater the dose, then the greater will be the probability. Still it only takes one shot to trigger the event. Ionizing radiation is the only recognized causative factor for an AN.
In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

nftwoed

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 12:19:54 pm »
Hi Mike;
   "It is the only recognized cause"  ?  Not sure what you mean there. An AN is not damage in itself, but may cause damage. Also, a highly charged stray beam as you indicate may, or not encourage an AN to grow. I think rarely, however.
   Root cause of AN is a permanent or temporary absence of tumor protein inhibitor Merlin/Schwannomin which allows natural schwann cells to migrate and accumulate.   

FredrickTobys

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 12:35:16 am »
J Neurosurg. 2012 Dec;117 Suppl:78-83. doi: 10.3171/2012.5.GKS12615.

Are frequent dental x-ray examinations associated with increased risk of vestibular schwannoma?

Han YY, Berkowitz O, Talbott E, Kondziolka D, Donovan M, Lunsford LD.

Source

Department of Epidemiology, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Abstract

OBJECT:

The authors evaluated the potential role of environmental risk factors, including exposure to diagnostic or therapeutic radiation and to wireless phones that emit nonionizing radiation, in the etiology of vestibular schwannoma (VS).

METHODS:

A total of 343 patients with VSs who underwent Gamma Knife surgery performed between 1997 and 2007 were age and sex matched to 343 control patients from the outpatient degenerative spinal disorders service at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. The authors obtained information on previous exposure to medical radiation, use of wireless phone technologies, and other environmental factors thought to be associated with the development of a VS. Conditional multivariate logistic regression was used to estimate adjusted odds ratios (aORs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs).

RESULTS:

After adjusting for race, education, cigarette smoking manufactured by
electronic cigarettes manufacturers , alcohol consumption, occupational exposure to noise, use of cell phones, and family history of cancer, the authors identified only a single factor that was associated with a higher risk of VS: individuals exposed to dental x-rays once a year (aOR = 2.27, 95% CI = 1.01-5.09) or once every 2-5 years (aOR = 2.65, 95% CI = 1.20-5.85), compared with those exposed less than once every 5 years. Of interest, a history of exposure to radiation related to head or head-and-neck computed tomography was associated with a reduced risk of VS (aOR = 0.52, 95% CI = 0.30-0.90). No relationship was found between the use of cell phones or cordless phones and VS.

CONCLUSIONS:

Patients with acoustic neuromas reported significantly more exposure to dental x-rays than a matched cohort control group. Reducing the frequency of dental x-ray examinations may decrease the potential risk of VS

I this technology world we can't escape from dental xrays..Really hope we all remain healthy in such tough surroundings full of xray..
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:36:26 am by FredrickTobys »

ANGuy

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 05:03:13 pm »
This study is nonsense.  Not only that, but anyone with any scruples regarding research knows that one study alone doesn't prove anything, ever.  Especially when the study involves only a few hundred people.  How on Earth could the people doing this study possibly figure out how much radiation these subjects have been exposed to?

As for radiation and the obsessive fear some people have about it, there is no escaping it.  There are particles so small that they pass through the entire Earth.  That is to say, particles from the Sun can be detected emanating from the ground when the Sun is on the other side of the planet (night).  Those same particles pass through our bodies day in and day out every moment we are alive.  You'll have to find some place to live that doesn't have a solar system if you want to avoid that constant bombardment of radiation.

What about all of the hundreds of millions of people who have had regular dental X-rays and NOT gotten a vestibular schwanoma?  When the study can address that, then maybe I'll listen.

This is the kind of crap that gets people killed.  Look at the frauds that are responsible for children getting childhood diseases that were just about eradicated in developed countries with their lies about immunizations causing autism.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Jill Marie

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 10:12:44 pm »
My hearing was tested in the first grade like everyone else and they had me retest every time because of my hearing loss in my left ear.  They actually sent me to a special testing when I was in the 2nd grade.  They determined I had a hearing loss but didn't know why tell 30 years later when the doctors found the tumor in my left ear.  I obviously had very few x-rays by that age so I totally agree that the study is nonsense! 
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

keithmac

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 05:41:40 am »
It is easy to rationalize anything. The simple fact is that ionizing radiation can indeed cause an acoustic neuroma. It is the only recognized cause. It only takes one charged particle, or photon hitting the right spot to cause the damage. No matter how much one wishes to get into statistics, it really only takes one hit. Yes the more dental x-rays one has, the more greater the dose, then the greater will be the probability. Still it only takes one shot to trigger the event. Ionizing radiation is the only recognized causative factor for an AN.

Please refer us to the study details that show this....

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 10:14:22 am »
This study is nonsense. 

Agree.

Statistics can be used to prove anything.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Number of physicians in the US:   700,000
Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year:   120,000
Accidental deaths per physician:   0.171

Number of gun owners in the US:   80,000,000
Accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups)   1,500
Accidental deaths per gun owner:   0.0000188

Not everyone has a gun, but everyone has at least one doctor.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 10:25:30 am »
Here's another interesting study:

Are frequent abductions by aliens associated with increased risk of vestibular schwannoma?

OBJECT:

The authors evaluated the potential role of alien abductions in the etiology of vestibular schwannoma (VS).

METHODS:

A total of 343 patients with VSs who underwent brain probing during abductions by aliens from 1997 and 2007 were age and sex matched to 343 control patients. The authors obtained information on previous exposure to alien abductions and other environmental factors thought to be associated with the development of a VS. Conditional multivariate logistic regression was used to estimate adjusted odds ratios (aORs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs).

RESULTS:

After adjusting for race, education, cigarette smoking, alcohol consumption, occupational exposure to noise, use of cell phones, and family history of cancer, the authors identified only a single factor that was associated with a higher risk of VS: individuals who were abducted by aliens compared with those who weren’t.

CONCLUSIONS:

Patients who had been abducted by aliens experienced a greater incident of acoustic neuromas than a matched cohort control group. Avoiding alien abductions may decrease the potential risk of VS.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

john1455

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 01:46:15 pm »
I agree with the majority of the posters - the claim that dental x-rays increase the incidence of ANs is pure hogwash. I particularly like arizonajack's comment about alien abductions and ANs.

John, DDS (retired after 32 years in private practice), Fellow in the Academy of General Dentistry for 31 years.
Diagnosed with 19x16x19mm cystic AN right side on 7/2013
MRI on 3/2014 showed AN increased to 21x20mm
right side 70% hearing loss, tinnitus, balance issues
CK at Stanford completed 3/21/2014 (3 sessions)
Dr Steven Chang and Dr Iris Gibbs

ANGuy

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 04:35:43 pm »
Here's another interesting study:

Are frequent abductions by aliens associated with increased risk of vestibular schwannoma?

OBJECT:

The authors evaluated the potential role of alien abductions in the etiology of vestibular schwannoma (VS).

METHODS:

A total of 343 patients with VSs who underwent brain probing during abductions by aliens from 1997 and 2007 were age and sex matched to 343 control patients. The authors obtained information on previous exposure to alien abductions and other environmental factors thought to be associated with the development of a VS. Conditional multivariate logistic regression was used to estimate adjusted odds ratios (aORs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs).

RESULTS:

After adjusting for race, education, cigarette smoking, alcohol consumption, occupational exposure to noise, use of cell phones, and family history of cancer, the authors identified only a single factor that was associated with a higher risk of VS: individuals who were abducted by aliens compared with those who weren’t.

CONCLUSIONS:

Patients who had been abducted by aliens experienced a greater incident of acoustic neuromas than a matched cohort control group. Avoiding alien abductions may decrease the potential risk of VS.

Yeah, sure, but this study fails to establish a causational relationship between alien abductions and AN.  For instance,   I have an AN but I have not been abducted by aliens.  Is this study suggesting that I WILL BE abducted by aliens?  To those of you who have already been abducted,   what should I wear?
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

photog1

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 05:00:39 pm »
   ;D

LOL!!!

Guess I can continue to have my 6-month teeth cleanings, and not have to change it to yearly cleanings.  Whew! 

ewhitese

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 06:26:17 pm »
So I can go back to worrying about the east coast being flooded by global warming and California falling into the pacific ocean during the next earth quake.  Besides when the magnetic fields at the poles shift the aliens wont know which end is up.  And since I can't figure out which end is up most of the time anyway I am in better shape than I thought. :o

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 10:00:15 am »
To all,

If you like to risk, go ahead risk. What I say won't change any minds here. I am prepared for that.

However, what I'm not prepared for is spending the rest of eternity thinking I should have done that (not gone for the dental XRay). I reason on the side of caution, my teeth can rot out. That's what they make dentures for!

Mike

PS. In a few years , I, because death will likely take my friends away, will live my life happy. HAPPINESS IS THE TRUTH.
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!