Author Topic: 6 Month Follow up post surgery - Great results!  (Read 4634 times)

Eddie

6 Month Follow up post surgery - Great results!
« on: August 04, 2016, 01:58:45 pm »
Hey guys,

Just posting to show some positive vibes: I just had my MRI scan completed and reviewed and no regrowth! Dr. Sisti said that everything looks good, and i will be for another MRI in 1 year (August 2017). My hearing has improved slightly, but of course it will probably deteriorate with age...but I'm hoping for the best! My scar is barely visible now - crazy to know that i use to have 15 staples holding everything together.

I'm still a little loopy from too much visual stimulation, but nothing that is intolerable. Balance is completely fine and i'm back to normal (intense) physical activities.  8)

-July 2015 - Woke up with congested left ear and lasted about 2 weeks - then came Tinnitus
-9/16/15 - ENT doctor diagnosed with Tinnitus
-10/2/15 - MRI Scan reveals 2.4 X 2.4 x 2.2 cm AN
-12/8/15 - Surgery NYP Dr. Michael Sisti
-12/9/15 - 100% tumor removal all nerves saved :D

rm516

• 'incremental improvements' everyday!
Re: 6 Month Follow up post surgery - Great results!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 06:16:39 pm »
Congrats for retaining 50 % hearing (like me) Back to normal (like me), same surgeon (like me)  but you had 100 % AN removal, mine was almost 75 % (still, ~25 % left )but it shrank on 2 year's MRI. Lots in common ! ;D
Nevertheless, Dr. Sisti seems to have the similar success rate as "House" but my casual observation shows that he is not as popular as House. Anyway, what impressed me the most about Dr. Sisti is his friendly approach , putting you at ease, does what he says!
GL
Diagnosed AN in 2008,  3.2 cm CPA round, retrosigmoid surgery performed by Dr. M. Sisti, Columbia Pres.Hospital  NY, in Jan 2013, After surgery no major issues, Hearing retained (>50% ). However, 2 YRs post surgery MRI shows a further decrease in the size of residual AN! No GK or any therapy needed.

stacey4574

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 03:31:05 pm »
That is so comforting!!  I have taken the plunge and scheduled my surgery with Dr. Sisti.  He was great and spent so much time with me & my husband.  Hope I have a great success story to share in late September :o
2.5cm AN diagnosed 7-14-16
Currently meeting neurosurgeons to decide on surgery date

TheycallmePuck

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 12:48:43 am »
What "normal (intense) actives are you doing? I'm 4 weeks post and can't wait to start weight training again.

Eddie

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 02:52:43 pm »
What "normal (intense) actives are you doing? I'm 4 weeks post and can't wait to start weight training again.

I'm weight lifting (heavy sets), doing some HiiT sprinting (11.0 speed on tread mills), Weighted pull-ups/pushups/dips, ect. The biggest challenge is focusing on breathing. I get a little loopy if i hold my breath (especially on dead lifts) but if i'm doing a Max set for 1 rep i'm fine. Usually on working sets of 4-6 reps where i don't focus on breathing enough is where it gets to me. Doctor said it's fine, just have to be cautious about it as it causes pressure to the brain, but at this point in my recovery the pressure is fine.
-July 2015 - Woke up with congested left ear and lasted about 2 weeks - then came Tinnitus
-9/16/15 - ENT doctor diagnosed with Tinnitus
-10/2/15 - MRI Scan reveals 2.4 X 2.4 x 2.2 cm AN
-12/8/15 - Surgery NYP Dr. Michael Sisti
-12/9/15 - 100% tumor removal all nerves saved :D

farcraw98

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 12:50:22 pm »
My wife had an acoustic neuroma surgery with Dr Sisti about 1.5 years ago. It went fine, but there was a major hearing loss and no tears in one eye. Originally we though that she had a complete hearing loss, but today she went to an audiologists and that she can hear something on that ear. (50 decibels loss, I guess that's 50%?). Aside from these 2 issues she's fine.

We went with Sisti, because there was a possibility of saving hearing. Others doctors bluntly told us not to bother try to save it. I don't recall the exact size of the tumor, like 2.5cm
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 12:59:41 pm by farcraw98 »

JLR

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 03:40:22 am »
Hi I'm scheduled next month for surgery with Drs Selesnick and Stieg at NY Prebyterian Cornell Weill. I did hear good things about Dr Sisti. I had several 2nd opinions but as soon as I met with Drs from Cornell Weill my nerves were more relaxed. Did anyone meet with those doctors before they choose Dr Sisti. Thanks!!