Author Topic: Need input on Gamma Knife treatment at Univ of New Mexico Dept of Neurosurgery  (Read 2580 times)

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
I've had my MRIs at the Phoenix VA Medical Center. One in April 2012 and one in October 2012.

In the last 6 month my AN has grown from 9mm to 11mm in length along the nerve in the direction of the cochlea but has stayed pretty much the same cross section going from 3mm x 4mm to 4mm x 4mm.

Nevertheless, I have decided to kill it and the ENT doctor agrees that Gamma Knife is appropriate.

Unfortunately, for the VA to pay for it, it has to be done out of the VA in Albuquerque where the VA has an arrangement with the University of NM Dept of Neurosurgey.

I am being referred to Dr Bradley Pickett, an Otolaryngologist there but the University website lists Dr Erich Marchand as the neurosurgeon specializing in Gamma Knife.

Any input on the doctors and the Gamma Knife facility and equipment would be greatly appreaciated.

Meantime, I am keeping my options open and will get a consult with Barrow's Acoustic Neuroma Center here in Phoenix.

Expertise and quality of treatment are paramount considerations but once those considerations are addressed and, if equal, then cost and convenience become the next issues.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

geexploitation

It sounds to me like your thought process is quite sound. Unfortunately I'm not versed in doctors in your area, but Barrow has a good rep, and you sound on the ball. Trust your instincts -- and good luck!
=========================
41 mm x 24 mm x 28 mm probable AN diagnosed 1/10/2012.
Surgically diagnosed 7/9/2012 as TRIGEMINAL schwannoma and removed via retrosigmoid at MGH in Boston, MA by Drs. Barker and McKenna.