Author Topic: Cochlear bp100 or Oticon Ponto Power- BAHA  (Read 24596 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Cochlear bp100 or Oticon Ponto Power- BAHA
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 06:27:10 pm »
Also, my concern is that she had zero response from her bone conduction test they did. Which they believe is a result from nerves not properly forming in her ear.

Is this common for someone w/SSD? Are the results from having the BAHA still good? Or how much of a difference does that make for someone that issue?

I don't think I ever had a bone conduction test, although I did demo BAHA processors in my doc's office without a problem.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 06:28:49 pm »
Hello Clarise I hope you don't mind but I followed your links and found them so interesting.

Just wanted to note that Cochlear has their own "links".  Check out www.cochlearcommunity.com

It's a discussion forum, similar to this one, for CI (Cochlear Implant) and BAHA recipients/candidates.  Registration is free.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

marisa_rivera

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 07:53:17 am »
Hello everyone. Thank you for all the feedback. She has tried both the cochlear and oticon brand.
Her biggest complaint on both is getting feedback from both of them because of her glasses. I think that's been the most frustrating part for her.
I dont know how much of an issue that is for any of you that may wear glasses. Or if that changes any once you actually it attached to the abutement.
I have visted Cochlear Community and have read some great stories there as well and I am now getting a little response from it. :)

Thank you all for the information!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 08:06:28 am »
Marisa .....

The abutment should be placed far enough away from the bow of her glasses so that the processor will not touch it ..... that is what causes the feedback.

I never have any feedback from my Ponto Pro unless I touch the microphones on the sides with my fingers.  It is far away from the bow on my glasses.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 08:27:15 pm »
I wear sunglasses several times a day and regular glasses for distance - especially when driving at night.

Neither have ever been a problem with my processor.

Clarice's suggestion to have the abutment placed so that your daughter's glasses don't interfere is a good idea.  You should mention this to her doctor.  Docs generally has some latitude on placement - as long as bone density is considered sufficient.

Jan

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 05:59:30 pm »
To clarify, I have the newer Cochlear abutment, so I cannot get an Oticon Ponto Pro or Ponto Pro Power.  I originally had the BP100, with this newer abutment, and later went to the BP110 which is the power model.

Also, I wear glasses intermittently and sunglasses a lot. Right before my procedure, they had me put on my sunglasses and drew a line on my head where the arm of the sunglasses rested.  They placed the abutment above that. If the headband is touching the glasses in your trial, I understand why there is feedback.  However, that should be different once the abutment is placed and the processor does not touch the glasses.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

marisa_rivera

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 07:58:33 am »
Thank you Ladies. That is what plan to do. At first I thought it could only be in once general spot. But i realize that it can be move some.
We are just waiting to hear back on the surgery date and pre op date. :)
One additional question you all may be able to answer is in regards to "down time" while the area is healing.
I do realize we have to be careful w/ the area that get the abutement. How long  before she can proceed w/ normal things and not have any concerns w/ things coming into contact w/ the area.
She is in wrestling, but is aware she will have to sit out some while it heals. I assumed atleast a month...but with the ability to do normal exercise/weights etc. just not any practice matches.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 05:31:33 pm »
She should be able to proceed with normal activities (probably not wrestling) within a day or two of surgery.

I went to lunch and then to my son's volleyball game at the local junior high immediately after my implant.  I got a few funny looks because I was still wearing the lovely "hat" my doc gave me - a large white mastoid bandage wrapped around my head and a white plastic "cup" over the site - but I felt perfectly fine.

The next day I could have gone to work without an issue, but I decided to spare my coworkers the site of my "hat"; I had to wear it for 24 hours post op.

Once I took off my "hat" there was a small bandage over my site which my hair hid pretty well; plus being behind my ear most people didn't notice it anyway.  All docs have different rules, but I was able to wash my hair 24 hours post op as long as I held a plastic cup over my site so it didn't get wet.

My healing was virtually pain free (I took a couple of Extra Strength Tylenol the afternoon of the surgery and probably the next morning), but my doc did give me a Rx for Vicodin (never had it filled).

Everyone is different, but I wouldn't anticipate your daughter having a lot of "down time" - with the exception of the wrestling. 

Hope things go smoothly for her,

Jan

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 01:11:18 pm »
Did you & your daughter come to a decision which one?  I'm a bit confused what your dr told you, BUT just in the past couple years it HAS changed to where you can't get an abutment from one company but use either processor.  I know if you have Cochlear abutment, you can only fit their processors.  Now as to if you get the Oticon processor, I would think it goes the same, but not sure.....

I did the trials of both too and just had surgery this week for the Cochlear BP100.  As far as activity, etc......I had local anesthetic (where they numb the skull area they are working on) and I think a little versed (a medicine via IV to make you relax or sleepy a bit) that way I didn't really know what was going on....just what I wanted!   Before going into surgery my dr marked a line on my head tracing my glasses arm....then said he finds the best bone area to do the implant, yet making sure enough away from the arm so no interference :)
    The surgery took only 1 hour, then I was in the recovery for 'maybe' 45 minutes.  Enough to eat a small muffin & drink some juice & get dressed.  At that point I felt fine!!!
Later that evening my head started hurting (local was wearing off).  They gave me Lortab (like Vicodin) for pain, I took it but it didn't do anything much but give me anxiety & insomnia ;) I also had the big gauze head bandage on like Jan mentioned.  The next morning my head was really hurting, and blood had soaked through that gauze.  My hubby removed the bandage (which we wer told to do about 24 hours post op) and right away my head felt a bit better.  My head had swollen a good amount & the pressure from the bandage was what made it hurt so much!!!  It also was why it was bleeding so much.
      That day I was exhausted due to no sleep & told to sit up cause of swelling.  I took one of the pain meds & got comfy & slept.  I felt SOOO much better later that evening!!  I haven't taken the Lortab since them either, but have taken a few regular Tylenol!  I still have some swelling, but I feel fine!!! :)
   My dr also gave an antibiotic (that varies amongst doctors) to help be sure it don't get infected.  Well, found out I'm allergic to it & possibly the Lortab I had.  I've gotten a rash.  That don't hurt though, so all good overall!  My surgery was Tuesday & by Thursday I was able to do anything normal (wouldn't do anything too strenuous)

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 12:07:52 pm »
My doc doesn't prescribe oral antiobiotics at the time of the implant, which surprises me a little because he tends to be conservative.

If an infection develops - which isn't too frequently - then he'll prescribe one.

Like Denise mentioned, all docs are different.

Jan

marisa_rivera

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 09:56:59 am »
Thank you Ladies. We did decide to go w/ the BP110(the stronger one) through Cochlear. I was told the Oticon abutement fits both brands, but cochlear only fits their brand.
It's such a huge decision to make since you cant really go any other route if you go w/ Cochlear.
My daughter seemed to like that one better. The doctor also felt it would be better over all as a brand since they have been the one's pushing BAHA for longer.

She has her surgery next week! :) we are getting excited.
Thank you for all the details on your experience. It helps give me a better idea of what I'm in for w/ my daughters surgery.
Denise, how has your experience been w/ the BAHA so far??

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 06:30:37 pm »
Well, here's hoping all goes Great!!

As for me, I had really only had discomforting pain less than 48 hours.  Then nothing Tylenol didn't help ;)  Had a sponge pad/dressing changed this week. (1 week post op) and stitches removed and all looked good.  A bit of swelling, but good!   Had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic he gave me, that was no fun....but fine now.  (Not all doctors give antibiotics, he just does as routine he said)

Best Wishes for your daughter!!

Denise
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

marisa_rivera

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 04:40:13 pm »
Hi Everyone,
Well this is day one of post op baha abutment surgery. She is doing pretty good so far. Has had some discomfort today. The motrin doesnt really help. I did give her some vicodin yesterday but not much help either.
She's managing as best as possible. I think it's just swelling in the area along w/ added pressure from the cap they put over it.
I'm really trying to not mess w/ that area so the cap can stay on as long as possible.
May try and rinse her hair some tomorrow or sunday.
Now it's just count down til her device gets fitted for her.

:)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 06:59:45 pm »
What do you mean by cap?  When I got done with surgery they Wrapped my head in a big gauze bandage!  I was told I could take it off after 24 hours but it was meant to keep pressure on.  BUT, I had swelling set in and that is why the pain got uncomfortable so a bit less than 24 hours my hubby cut it off.....ahhh, it helped a lot! 
    Them there was still a square spongy thing on the surgical site (about 3" x3") with a round plastic cap over that.  That had to stay on until I went back one week later.  They removed that AND my stitches and then out a different gauze thing like the foam thing, soaked in antibiotic ointment and them another round plastic cap over that for oneore week....
    I know all docs do things different, but that is mine.   I'll PM you my email & number if you need anything ;)
    OH, Andy BAHA friends from here&FB tolde a cup over the area when washing the hair ;) HELPED LOTS!!

Denise

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 01:27:15 pm »
Glad to hear your daughter had the surgery; sorry to hear she's having some pain/discomfort.  Hopefully that will pass swiftly.

All docs have different procedures post op BAHA implant - including things like when you can shampoo your hair, what type of bandage they put on the site, etc.,

That said, it's best to follow what your doc tells you.

It's hard to wait for your "Gotcha Day" - the day you can attach your processor - but it usually goes quicker than you expected.

Good luck to your daughter.  I think she'll love her BAHA  ;D

Jan