Author Topic: hoping for no coincidences  (Read 3899 times)

BeckyMax

hoping for no coincidences
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:08:01 pm »
I was diagnosed 2/12.  My husband, who has had his share of challenges this past year saw an ENT today, after 2weeks on some nasal spray after experiencing hearing loss, his primary prescribed.  ENT today started him on prednisone and ordered an MRI.   I knee that he would, this is the same doc that diagnosed me, so I know his protocol.  Funny thing is, my husband has always had balance problems, etc.    Before he went to the ENT I gave him instructions on what to do if they ordered MRI, he has had some kidney problems, so precautions need to be taken to protect them from the contrast dye.  I would be floored if it were an AN, he had an MRI about a year ago for the dizziness after things didn't improve from a concussion.

I'm sure all will be fine, just thought I'd share it with you guys, can't say anything to anyone else they already think we are hypochondriacs!

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

JWW

Re: hoping for no coincidences
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 09:21:52 pm »
BeckyMax, my sweet husband was diagnosed with very early stage prostate cancer the same time I was diagnosed with my AN 3/2012. He has severe hearing loss in one ear and severe tinnitus. I wish someone/Dr. would order an MRI on him but he won't even consider it! He has no balance issues or dizziness. He says his hearing loss is on the same side that he used a telecommunication microwave head set for work and from listening to very loud music over the years.

We worry about our love ones.

JW

BeckyMax

Re: hoping for no coincidences (got the results)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 05:06:26 am »
My husband got his MRI back and it is not an AN (if it were we would be buying lottery tickets).  However, he has some blood in his cochlea as well as some dark spots in the white matter of his brain.  He suffered a pulmonary emblolism in May following shoulder surgery.  He is on blood thinners, which may be causing the bleeding in his cochlea.  the suspect the dark spots in the brain to be age related, though I am concerned since he had an MRI just over a year ago and they didn't not these.  off to see the otornalynologist (I know thats not right, but at least we have a good one) and the neurologist. 

John just can't catch a break.  he has held up remarkably well this past year (all this started with a car accident), but he is really struggling now.  Has to stop rehabbing his shoulder until he's cleared on the bleeding issue.  I'm certainly having hard time as well.  Surely there is an end in sight?

Becky
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

Chances3

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 11:00:50 am »
Hi Becky,

Good to hear your husband doesn't have a AN. I think sometimes it's so much harder on couples when the both of them have health issues.  My wife is a cancer survivor, and I have had so many problems these past few years.  My neighbor and his wife are our age, they are so active that it makes me sick sometimes. Then I fall into the envy and pity party mode, which is not my character.  So I say, we must always look at the bright side of life.

I am a man of faith, so I place my trust in God, He is in control !

I hope that helps, stay strong !

God Bless.

BeckyMax

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 05:40:09 pm »
Let me just say, I love my doc.  I called and they got him in already today to repeat his audio gram.  We will see the doc again Tuesday.  They are stopping the cumadin until we figure this out.  Unfortunately, the hearing loss my be permanent.  But we are already familiar with the Cross after reading about it on here and seeing it at the last AN support group meeting.

Becky
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 09:18:43 am »
My thoughts are with you during these difficult times.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

BeckyMax

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 09:09:30 pm »
The news was somewhat promising for him, they don't believe the changes in white matter are of concern.  Also don't believe he had a cochlear hemorrhage, but rather a possible viral infection is the cause of his hearing/tinitus problems.  The doc expects the tinitus to improve, but probably not completely, he's had it for years, just not as bad as it is now.  The bad news, he only thinks that the hearing will improve slightly.  Its his left ear, and mine is the left also, gonna have to start sitting across from each other instead of side by side.   ;D

This is manageable, glad its not MS related.

Becky
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

It is what it is

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 09:27:00 pm »
Glad to hear this is manageable for you.  Keep us posted. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.