Author Topic: ear/jaw shooting pains?  (Read 24413 times)

kedge

ear/jaw shooting pains?
« on: July 12, 2012, 08:56:18 pm »
I have been recently diagnosed at 3cm/1.8cm (I don't remember the third number).  I lost hearing and developed tinnitis, getting a bit clumsy, but dont feel dizzy or spinny.  I decided to W&W, but I guess I'm a little scared. 

My real question is...does anyone else have a kind of shooting pain from sort of inside the ear somewhere to the jaw.  Doc says that isn't a symptom, but now that the whole thing has become real, everything is a symptom!!

Doc says I should just have another MRI in December, or let him know if symptoms get worse or new ones come up.  he hasn't even seen the MRI, only the report.

Any advice is most appreciated!!! :-\
5/2012 3.1cm x 1.8cm  W&W to December????  But don't know if I can/should wait that long.

kedge

Re: ear/jaw shooting pains?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 08:47:50 am »
Correction.  I do get a spinny (very, very short time, like a second or two)  feeling, but it is not constant, maybe a few times a week.  Is that  symptom?
5/2012 3.1cm x 1.8cm  W&W to December????  But don't know if I can/should wait that long.

jross

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 06:44:27 am »
My first noticeable symptom was a tingling sensation around my jaw and lower mouth. 
That tingling sensation progressed  - going from my ear to  my mouth.  I would say that is a symptom.  It was a weird feeling, not so much pain.  Also isn't a 3cm tumor considered large.  I would get another opinion.  You can send your mri to House.  Good luck.  Jill

kedge

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:25:26 am »
thanks, I am realizing that i should definitely be a bit more proactive with this thing.  thanks for your response!

millie

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 06:11:31 am »
Strange hoe this world goes-just last night I felt a pain running between my lower jaw to my left ear, and I have a 1.4 cm x .5  x.? in that left ear, diagnosed February 28 in an MRI and grown 2mm? since then, MRI done two weeks ago.  I'd say it is part of the symptom syndrome.  I am seeing some doctors over the next few weeks to discuss the next step having been in watch and wait.  I was also told I had the luxury of time, but now, with it still growing, I guess doctors want to inform me of options.
You have to be proactive.  I was burying my head in the sand thinking if I kept really busy this would go away, but there's no denying this thing is up/in there; the syptoms have definitely changed life as I knew it.  So I made the appointments, read this board/forum, and hope the doctors my original ENT recommended are the best.  Meanwhile I try to understand the three types of surgeries, and the differences of gamma and cyber. 
I'd love to go to House but it's too far if I have complications-NYC is where I will have treatment.  Maybe Winthrop-there is a Dr. Haas there I have read about.
Take care of yourself.  Don't be afraid.  Good luck.  One day at a time.
Millie.

JLR

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 03:49:11 am »
Hi My AN was 2.8 cm and was told that 3.0 is large and anything over that number would not be a candidate to CyberKnife.  It might be an excellent idea to get another opinion. And to reply to Millie... I had CK at Winthrop with Dr. Haas. He is an amazing doctor. Feel free to pm me for all the details about Winthrop. Stay well, Joan

MaryCPereira

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 09:16:13 am »
I also have been experiencing pretty bad ear pain. It comes sorta in waves, and gets really really bad. My neurologist also said it's not connected, and suggested I wear a mouth guard at night... but the pain is most definitely not muscular. It's deep in my ear. However, I went to see my PCP, and she did some research..she did find info on pain, and the research she came up with seems to show that the smaller the tumor the more ear pain associated with it. And that it suggested just over the counter pain reliever. I've tried it in the past, and it didn't seem to help, but I'm willing to try again!

Good luck and I hope you're feeling better!

It is what it is

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 12:07:21 pm »
I am sorry to hear about your pain and glad there are others who have some information for you.  Even though my tumor is very small, I have had increased symptoms as I wait for my surgery on Wednesday. 

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Vivian B.

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 09:36:48 pm »
Hello,

I got your post late but hopefully you will read my reply. I started with shooting pain as you have described, then nunmbess around the jaw and lower mouth area. I also experienced dizzy spells, ringing in the ear  and of course noticed my hearing was not the same. I already had my treatment GK in 2010, so far size has not changed. However, I recently saw my ENT who suggested a scan of the jaw, and it showed TMJ and  a dislocated jaw. Not to say that you have this, but my ENT told me not to associate all the symptoms with the AN. The surgeon that I initially saw said that sometimes the tumor is adjusting or moving and may press on the nerves which could also explain symptoms.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 05:09:18 am »
I too am late to reply. I didn't see the post before. Ne-ways my story is long and I'm not going to get into details but from my experience I had Trigeminal Neuralgia from my AN. My AN was smaller than yours 1.6 but I had shooting pains down the jaw under my teeth. Very painful. I had surgery at House Dr. Friedman / Dr. Schwartz last March. Keep us posted on how your doing. With an AN of 3cm I would start researching.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012