Author Topic: Surgery on Hold, Pre-op Bloodwork Came Back Abnormal  (Read 13486 times)

LizAN

Surgery on Hold, Pre-op Bloodwork Came Back Abnormal
« on: June 28, 2012, 08:11:45 pm »
This afternoon, I  turned over my job to someone else.  A few minutes later, I got the news that my pre-op blood work was unacceptable.

Fortunately, I had it done at home prior to traveling to LA.  My PTT is just over the upper limit, which precludes my having surgery.  (It has to do with blood not clotting quickly enough.)

It's so close to normal that Dr. Schwartz thinks a second test may be within normal limits.  I'm going to a hospital lab tomorrow, so that we can get the test results back right away and make a decision about whether to travel.

I have a suspicion that the PTT may be slightly elevated because I only stopped taking fish oil 8 days ago.  Also, I drink a lot of decaf green tea.  Apparently, these substances act as blood thinners.

Tomorrow is supposed to be the day we pack and tie up all the final loose ends.  We were planning to fly out of here on Saturday, and now I don't know whether I'm going to be able to have the surgery or not.

:'(

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

BeckyMax

Re: Surgery on Hold, Pre-op Bloodwork Came Back Abnormal
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 09:49:45 pm »
Lîz, my hubby is currently on blood thinners for a pulmonary embolism.  He has to avoid vitamin K because it works against his coumadin.  Eat lots of green leafy veggies....spinach and collard greens are the highest.  Broccoli and cauliflower also.
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

miller

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:46:09 am »
I am scheduled for surgery in two weeks.  I didn't know that regular foods can affect your  blood work.  Are there any other things that you should or should not eat?  Is coffee/caffeine ok?

Thank you,

Cheryl
6/1/12 Diagnosed AN 3cm x3.1cmx3.2cm
Hearing Loss, Mild Tinnitus
Translab HEI 7/12/12 Wilkinson Schwartz
SSD, No facial paralysis, Tinnitus

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:26:27 am »
Oh Liz .....

So sorry for this last minute bump in the road.

It brings back so many memories of my first brain surgery 18 years ago ..... for trigeminal neuralgia decompression surgery, not the AN.  We had driven 4 1/5 hours from my home the day before the surgery.  Because I had been on Aspirin (and stopped a week before), they did a bleeding time test the morning of surgery, which I failed.  What a blow to be sent home and wait a week before the next surgery date.

Many, many prayers that the next test will be acceptable and all plans are able to be resumed!!!  Let us know!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

It is what it is

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:55:40 am »
Oh no!!! I am so disappointed for you. I can only guess at the level of stress you must be experiencing at this very moment. All the preparation physically and emotionally that brought you to this point in time has been huge. I am hoping and praying the blood test tomorrow is normal and you will be able to proceed as planned. If not, I will be thankful for you that you had the foresight to check your blood before arriving in California. It is amazing to me that you thought to do that!

With caring,

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

BlueSky

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 09:44:30 am »
I hope this is a short setback and you can proceed forward soon. Good luck!

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 10:32:34 am »
My original surgery was also postponed a week - thank goodness I had only traveled 4.5 hours (& my family - 12 hrs - hadn't left yet!). I had flown ahead for pre-op so my hubs could work a couple of more days though, so that was a wasted plane ticket! BUT, as the Dr said, "it's your brain...it's where you live - we can't be too careful..." Everything worked out ok in the end as I'm sure it will for you too!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LizAN

Good News! was Re: Surgery on Hold, Pre-op Bloodwork Came Back Abnormal
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 11:49:24 am »
Thanks everyone for your comfort, good wishes and prayers.

I have good news.  The repeat blood test for PTT came back within normal range.  We are going to fly to LA tomorrow and surgery is once again scheduled for Tuesday!

That was a close call.  Funny thing, the relief is now outweighing the original dread, at least for the moment.

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

It is what it is

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 12:04:51 pm »
Hurray!!   :)
Safe travels Liz.  Let us know how things go for you.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 12:15:53 pm »
These Bumps in the Road are normal,

Do not let them rattle you Liz, everyone is praying for you that your operation will turn out just as HE planned ! Your road has been well planned and thought out just relax, have the operation and let the healing begin! We are all here for you!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

alabamajane

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 12:56:35 pm »
Safe travels and our prayers are with you for a successful surgery.. think of all the bar-b-que you will get on Wed........ glad bloodwork came back ok and that you are on your way to being one of us Posties... our thoughts will be with you and your family.. Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 03:09:55 pm »
So glad that you can proceed and finally put this all behind you soon...Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 03:38:37 pm »
Liz ~

I'm so pleased to learn that the second blood test was satisfactory and your surgery schedule can be maintained.

I can relate to the stress this can cause because I had a similar experience prior to my AN debulking surgery in 2006.  They discovered a 'mass' on my liver and thought it was cancer.  A liver biopsy showed that it was a (benign) hemangioma (whew!) and not a threat to my health or a reason to postpone my AN surgery, which I underwent about a week late (with a great outcome).  I'm confident your surgery will have a similar result.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 03:48:11 pm »
Great news for your blood work and all systems are go!      Have a good trip out and try to relax once you get there!          We will be thinking of you next week!
                                                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lrobie

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 08:52:31 pm »
Liz,

I hadn't been on to see this.  I'm glad it worked out for you.  I, too, was having some testing done (not related to the AN) but, if results were abnormal, the surgery would have been on hold.  My tests came back normal.  I think it's the anxiety.  Anyhow, I'll be watching for your posts on Caring Bridge and I'll be texting when we arrive in LA on the 11th.  Good luck to you.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie