Author Topic: Distressing throat tickle makes me cough until I gag...ideas???  (Read 90565 times)

amymeri

Sometimes I have this persistent tickle in my throat that makes me cough and gag until I almost vomit.  It is just awful and happens every couple days.

This is new since my surgery for a 4 cm AN and my facial, trigeminal and trochlear nerves were affected...don't know if my swallowing is affected or what's going on.

Anyone have ideas?
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Raydean

Re: Distressing throat tickle makes me cough until I gag...ideas???
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 07:02:07 pm »
Hi Amy

Sometimes with larger tumors the upper cranial nerves  9th, 10th and 12th can be affected leading to weakness of the nerve involved. Chet also had the same problems as you mention.  It helped him to keep water handy at all times.  A moist throat seem to cut down on that tickle.  We found that sucking on mints, or lemon drops really helped to cut down on the coughing.  (Chet prefers Altoids mints due to flavor and handy container).  Bottom line for  Chet is that he always has water and mints near by to help with the issues mentioned.  We don't leave home without the mints and water either.

Hopefully as time goes by these issues will work themselves out.  Boy, if I'd known I would of invested in bottled water and mints <g> !!!

Take care and thinking of you
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 08:20:31 pm »
Hi Amy,
  Unf. Raydean is correct.  I have the same problem which is why they are not letting me go back into the classroom.  I actually threw up on an employee at a staff meeting.  I was told to avoid soda, caffiene, and anything I find that makes the problem worse.  I know for me spicy foods, ice cream, really cold things irritate my throat.  I keep waking myself up at night choking so I'm sure sinuses have some play in all of it.  I tried allegra but it didn't help..seemed to make it worse since it dried me out.  If anyone knows tips to help I'm all ears!

amymeri

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 06:20:05 am »
Wow!  I didn't expect ANYONE to know what I was talking about so I don't know if I am relieved or  bummed out that this could continue.  I do notice I am a little more likely to choke but the tickle/cough thing is awful.  Water does help, so I will keep sipping.  I am not in the habit of drinking much throughout the day but it is worth it to try.  Since my face and eyes are getting a little better, I am hopeful that this too will pass....

AHHHHHHHH, some days I am just so tired of all this crap! 

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 05:48:21 am »
Yes, Amy someone else can feel your pain!
Some days mine is better than others and I wish I knew why as I'd always do that  LOL
Funny my doctor told me to stay away from peppermint and my son came home yesterday telling me in his psychology class the teacher gives out peppermint as it boosts your memory....Me thinks I will try some altoids..if I can remember to buy some  LOL  ;D
Hang in their Amy....keeping my fingers crossed (and toes and arms and eyes) that we find some relief for all that ails us!

Obita

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 06:50:36 am »
Quite often, chocolate gives me the tickle bad.  Drs. advice:  Don't eat it.  Ya right. 

Have a good day everyone.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 07:05:53 am »
Amy,
I just got the results back from my barium swallow, (they got the machine repaired and I didn't have to wait another week)  The nerves were damaged during surgery so stretching won't help.  I just continue to choke.  My husband is awesome with the Heimlech Manuver!  Should be a great weight loss tool.  I have to rethink my whole diet.  I should anyway.  It does cause dryness, choking ect.  You might think about having the test.  If your nerve isn't damaged they can stretch it so you don't choke.  Just a thought.  Good luck. :) BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 07:33:03 pm »
stretch what nerve so you don't choke?  I had the barium swallow test and was told there was nothing they could do.  I was told if talking made it worse to quit talking  LOL 

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 08:28:49 pm »
BattyPrincess,
I don't think the doctor meant he could stretch the nerve!  He simply said that if it was damage done by the surgery it couldn't be fixed.  If it was damage done by say Reflux, ect. the throat or whatever could be stretched and that would help the swallowing.  I can talk, just not drink or eat without getting choked.  I hope that clarifies. ::)
BrendaO

Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 09:57:49 pm »
Reading this is wild. I have been having a dry hacking cough for well over a year now, (I'm 23 mo post op) and having heartburn much of the time. I never dreamed it had any connection witht he AN surgry exceptfor thinking  that the breathing tube down my throat for so many hours may have csued something?  I don't want to believe in acid reflux, although I do experience a feeling of fullness high up in my stomach just under my ribs with the smallest portion of food eaten. And then the hacking cough that goes with it. Now I'll have to look into this barium test. Why not, my life is just one doc after another since the AN surgery

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 10:16:10 am »
HI Patt,
  Sounds like you have the same thing I have.  They said at first it was acid reflux but...I didnt' respond to the normal drug therapy which makes me wonder what is really going on.  My son laughs as since surgery I've developed this very weird hiccup that we call the teradactoyl.  I never did it before surgery. 

I just had some soda with breakfast and am now suffering...I know soda is bad but...it came free with my breakfast  LOL

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 04:52:45 pm »
Hi Battyprincess

Sometimes just water gives me the heartburn. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat or drink, it comes and goes as it pleases, the same with the hacking cough. Never had it before the surgery
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Battyp

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 09:32:24 pm »
I feel your pain!
Aciphex does help I take it when it gets bad.  When I did it two times a day it didn't make a difference with my throat.  I didn't have that problem before surgery either :o(

Brandy Ferguson

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2023, 10:57:33 pm »
I'm having the same problem 15 months out. It started a few months ago and is happening almost every day. I can feel it happening. If I talk it gets worse. It's a tickle on the AN side of my throat and will cause gagging and yarking if I can't fight it.