Author Topic: 5 Year MRI coming up and Nervous  (Read 3225 times)

Kelly718

5 Year MRI coming up and Nervous
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:22:18 pm »
I still can't believe it's been 5 years already since my surgery! The doc left a very small sheath of tumor attached to my facial nerve to preserve it. My last MRI was two years ago and it showed the remaining tumor was shrinking. I am still so afraid that this time I will heat that it grew. Does anyone have any experience with a sheath left that never grew again? Also, this past year my tinnitus has gotten worse like TV static! It comes and goes. Could this be related to the growth of the tumor? I am so nervous!
3X3cm AN removed via retrosigmoid, 3/07

Dr. Davis is my hero! :)
A sense of humor goes a long way!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 5 Year MRI coming up and Nervous
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 01:26:17 pm »
Hi, Kelly ~

I'm sorry to learn that your upcoming (5-year) MRI is causing you such anxiety. 

With the caveat that I'm not a doctor, I can tell you that leaving a bit of tumor on the nerve sheath (to avoid facial complications) is fairly common.  If your  3-year MRI indicated the tumor was shrinking, that is a very positive sign.  However, as you know, it is possible for even a tiny bit of tumor to re-grow. Assuming the best, the MRI will give you peace of mind - but if it does show re-growth, you'll 'catch' it in time to, very likely, use radiation to stop any further growth.  Your intensified tinnitus is certainly annoying but likely not a result of tumor re-growth.     

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kelly718

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 06:09:01 am »
Thanks for your reply Jim. I go for my MRI this morning. What do you think the odds are that a shrinking tumor will reverse and begin to grow? Trying to stay positive but still have high anxiety!
3X3cm AN removed via retrosigmoid, 3/07

Dr. Davis is my hero! :)
A sense of humor goes a long way!

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 06:34:18 pm »
G'day Kelly
I get all kinds of weird noises in my deaf ear and they got all of my tumour out. My doctor says it's due to the nerve endings that still exist in the ear 'space' that are still sending signals but don't have anywhere to send the signals to (I hope that makes sense  ;D)
From the usual tinnitus that's there all the time to a buzzing every now and then that sounds like I have a bee in it!
Please let us know the results of your MRI?
Hugs,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 02:13:56 pm »
Thanks for your reply Jim. I go for my MRI this morning. What do you think the odds are that a shrinking tumor will reverse and begin to grow? Trying to stay positive but still have high anxiety!

Kelly ~

Well, considering that I also have a shrinking tumor that has not re-grown after debulking surgery and FSR (in 2006) I would hope that the chances of re-growth are practically infinitesimal.  You should know very soon - and I expect that the news will be good. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.