Author Topic: Electric massager seems to help?  (Read 18551 times)

spgreenfield

Electric massager seems to help?
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:41:24 am »
Maybe someone can explain this to me....I have an electric massager that has a flat disk that I recently began trying on my face - mostly because the "numb" feeling was annoying me but also in hopes of having something positive happen from it.  I didn't think anything was happening so for 2 days I didn't do it - those 2 days my eye was more droopy and I had dryness issues with my eye.  I also had noticed on the day following one of my first times using it the next morning my eye looked nearly normal at the start of the day....as the day wore on it began to get that familiar droop, but when I got up in the morning it was nearly identical to my other eye!

I'm assuming that the nerve repair is inside my ear canal and skull - that the nerves ON and UNDER my face would not be needing to regenerate or repair themselves....so I had hoped I wasn't doing any harm to things.  But IF my using this device I'm helping to bring tone back to my eye (and I do allow it to go right next to the eye - feels rather strange, but not a bad feeling.) and help in other ways, I'm glad for it.  I also oddly enough sneeze when I go close to my nose on my cheekbone - and I've read about blocked nostrils in the forum....I'm wondering also if this is helping to keep or wake up my tear and saliva.  I DO have a tiny amount of tears in my AN eye...I can yawn really big and feel a slight tear production (a habit from wearing contact lenses and having dry eyes - I could always yawn and make my eyes tear up....)

FWIW - this is working for me...maybe it's something others could use????

Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Cheryl R

Re: Electric massager seems to help?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 11:17:20 am »
Jackie Diels says not to use any electrical stimulation as it can cause the nerve to work on the wrong muscle and cause synkinesis.    The nerve does have too heal from inside out to the muscle and is a slow healing.     You can do some massage on your face with your fingers so they keep the feel of sensation.       Some drs tell pts to use the electrical stimulation even and seems esp in other countries.     There may have been some improvement early in the day before the muscle tired more.                         The eye is usually the later part of healing and slower than by the mouth.                     You are not the first to mention this and it is so hard to put up with the wait for it come back.         It is ultimately up to you what you want to do but might be something that might not be good in the long run!
                                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 11:26:55 am »
There has not been mention lately on here for newbies about the www.bellspalsy.ws       site which gives good info and partly written by Jackie on facial care. While it is about Bells Palsy,it also states and other types of facial paralysis.       
                           Hope this helps also.                  Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

spgreenfield

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:38:35 am »
Cheryl,

This is NOT the electrical stimulation that Jackie is referring to...there is nothing electric to it...it's a vibrator!   ;D  So basically it's vibrating the face and that's all.  I totally understand about no electronic stimulation...I've had that done at the chiropractor's office.  Anyone that has contact with Jackie - please confirm this.  But I'm pretty sure I'm right....
Pam in South Dakota

Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:04:00 pm »
Having read the word electric in your post made think of the wrong type of electrical use.       The facial exercises link on the bellspalsy site has Jackie saying to use heat and massage.      Her talk at the symposiums was to only use your hand for light massage.       
                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

spgreenfield

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 12:48:16 pm »
Cheryl,

I think your suggestion to contact Jackie was great!  I wouldn't want to suggest ANYTHING that could possibly harm or delay any healing - I will repost if and when I get an answer from her.  And I'm sorry if my response gave you the impression I was upset in any way...I'm not at all!  I just got the strange mental image of a vibrator being electrical stimulation...and knowing what many people USE them for....was a little funny in my mind!
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

DHJ

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 11:05:13 am »
Hi    I am currently using a electric vibrator to stimulate my weakend facial muscles.The vibration therapy is only one part of my overall facial exercise program and it seems to help.My Neuromusclar Re -Education is being supervised by Dr. Hadlock at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Instute.  Peace Dave
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

spgreenfield

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 12:03:06 pm »
Dave,

It's comforting to know I'm not doing something too wild.....I figured this out myself and to know that you are under a doc's care and TOLD to do it...comforting!

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

DHJ

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 03:24:40 pm »
Hi Pam    I am almost 6 months post op and just starting facial therapy. Have patience and give yourself time to heal.Too much early stimulation could lead to aberrant regeneration(Synkinesis) according to my Doc.The Bellspalsy site recommend by Cheryl helps explain this.Everyones face and recovery is different and you may want to hook up with your Doctors Facial Rehabilitation Program. Peace Dave
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

spgreenfield

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 03:38:16 pm »
Hey Dave.  I'm being very careful!  I can actually move nearly all my facial muscles at will - still can't do what my daughter can do....lift only one eyebrow!   :P

Within a month of surgery I could move my mouth into a curve....now I can fully smile!  I can close each eye independently of each other to see things....but would like to get rid of the droopy eyelid.  Mostly the acupuncture is working on my saliva glands on the AN side (that side of my mouth is still quite dry) and tear production - which will just take time.  I had some zing-type pain in my teeth as nerves were "coming back alive" that she helped me to get rid of which was nice...but she's well trained and won't risk any damage.  My surgeon wanted me to FORCE my face right after surgery into contortions....I ignored him.  So far it's only numbness that's bothering my face.....which may after time totally disappear, or merely fade - or never change.  In the meantime I'm working hard thinking positive!!!

Pam

PS I can even whistle a little now!!!  :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:42:56 pm by spgreenfield »
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

DHJ

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 04:12:26 pm »
Hi Pam    Sounds like you are on a great recovery track. My recovery has been complicated but I am doing well. I need a eyelid weight in order to close my eye and it works great.Life is good.     Peace Dave

spgreenfield

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 04:44:29 pm »
I am truly blessed with my recovery!  I know this because I've read multiple stories from those who are STILL waiting to move ANY of the AN side!  I'm not complaining or bragging...just wanted to assure you that I WAS being careful.....  Glad you are on the road to help in your recovery.  Sounds like your attitude will enable you a wonderful journey of recovery!

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12