Author Topic: Surgeons  (Read 4183 times)

trev0024

Surgeons
« on: January 26, 2012, 06:19:10 pm »
Has anyone had surgery by Dr's Collin Driscoll or Michael Link at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN? If so, can you provide detailed feedback regarding your experience.
New dx 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN

Archer

Re: Surgeons
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:35:24 am »
Drs. Link and Driscoll did my AN removal ten years ago.  I am pleased with the outcome and will not hesitate to recommend them.  The outcome was as good as I could hope for.  The surgery was sub-occipital and I knew going in the chance of retaining hearing on that side was minimal so I am SSD today.  My balance is not what it used to be when I was young but that is not much of an issue and nothing I can't deal with.  Facial nerve was not affected and I have no pain issue relating to the AN surgery.  Follow ups since have been all clear on the AN side.

My experience at St. Mary's and at Mayo was excellent.  The staff was caring and professional.  They know their stuff.  Drs. Link and Driscoll, though they seemed far to young 10 years ago, were experienced and very good at what they do. 

Just recently, on my 10 year follow up MRI, an AN was discovered on the other side and I am once again seeing Drs. Link and Driscoll.  I am still on W&W and am using the time to get a second opinion from HEI, much like I did 10 years ago when I found Mayo the first time around.  I still feel very comfortable with Mayo and my Drs. there and plan to continue any treatment of this new bug there.  I just want to be as informed as possible as would anyone.

Hope this helps.  PM me if and we can talk more if you want.  Hope all goes well.  God Bless you!

MNTim

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 08:39:55 pm »
One year ago today at this time I was in the recovery room at St. Mary's Hospital (Mayo Rochester).  Drs Link and Driscoll had just completed removing what had once been a 5 cm AN via translab approach.  This was my third craniotomy and first with them so they were dealing with a lot of scar tissue, pretty tricky.  Dr. Driscoll also performed a 7/12 graft during the procedure.  Post surgical care was great, at a minimum saw one of them daily, typically both. Within one month of the procedure I experienced a CSF leak from the suture which migrated to my nose requiring extra hospitalization.  They treated the leaks in minor steps only moving to the next step if the previous was not successful.  This approach has allowed me to avoid more invasive and high maintenace options.  In May 2011 I met with them for my 90 day post-op MRI and was told that there was no tumor visible.  We met again in December and I was informed that my 7/12 appears to have been very successful- I have resting symmetry with the possibility of further improvement.  All that being said I recommend them highly.

Best,
Tim Gray
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

trev0024

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:41:05 pm »
Thank you
New dx 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 07:33:28 am »
Hi Trevor
I live in ND and am flying to LA to have surgery done by Dr. Friedman at House. I heard this place it one of the best and that is where I feel comfortable going. Do your homework and get opinions to see where you want to go. You can send House your scans and they will call you usually within a week to talk to you. I was amazed how quickly Dr. Friedman called me. There is also Dr. Haines at the University of Minnesota that I hear is good too.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:15:20 am »
Trevor, There are several of us who have who go to Univ of Iowa and Dr Bruce Gantz.         You talked about noisy environment.    I am a retired nurse and have  NF2 and was back to work 2 months after the first 2 bouts of surgery and retired then before the last.    I am 59 so older than you.    You can think about getting a BAHA or Transear.        One can adjust somewhat to the noise.      Chances are you will be ok in time for the rest of how much work one does as a PT.      Recovery varies with everyone but I worked on a med surg floor so was helping with transfers and ambulating pts.                     Good luck in how it goes for you.                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

trev0024

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:56:46 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback. It really helps.
New dx 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN