Author Topic: Barometric pressure  (Read 10702 times)

patbiedermann

• One day at a time...small steps!
Barometric pressure
« on: January 31, 2012, 11:49:41 am »
Does anyone have issues with the change in barometric pressure (weather)?  I find myself when there is going to be a  change (mostly bad weather) that I am really dizzy and off balance the day before.  It feels like I am in a tunnel.  Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this?  I am due to go back to work, and am open to suggestions for coping with this.
Translabyrinthine removal on 6/13/11 for a 3-4 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor (vestibular schwannoma) at University Hospital in Syracuse, NY by Dr. Deshaies and Dr. Woods.  10 1/2  hour surgery.  Got 90-95% of tumor. Hospital stay for 10 days. Inpatient Rehab for 7 days.  doing pretty well.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Barometric pressure
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:38:38 pm »
Hi patbiedermann and welcome to this forum .....

Glad to know that you are re-entering the work force after your surgery ..... it is a scary time, but you will make it!

I do not have the fuzzy head/off balance feeling that you do when a front is coming through, but I sure do have what I call barometric pressure headaches ..... totally unrelated to my AN though because I have had them for as long as I can remember.  In fact, that is the only time I have headaches any more.  A number of my friends can tell weather changes by the way their knees or hips feel.  Therefore, I would have to imagine that some people can experience what you are from barometer changes.

One thing about it, the change is usually short-lived and if you know what it is, you can be extra careful in that situation.  I guess I would reduce the amount of caffeine intake at those times because in some people that makes them more off balance.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 09:15:23 pm »
I definitely notice it when whether changes...if you do a search on the forum you'll find that this is a common theme amongst us post surgery.  My best advice is to just weather through it (get it? I made a funny! :) )  Good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Chances3

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 12:00:16 pm »
Hi Pat,

Welcome to this site.  I made the same observation about Barometric pressure and humidity.  I definitely suffer more when we have a rain storm and the Barometer is rising.  Depending where you live in the country, spring can be very challenging as well with the pollen count.  There should be more info on this site, so keep searching and dig deep.  One member reccommended using a rice bag to help.  She explained it like this.  She took an old sock, filled half with rice.  When the days are really bad due to weather, she puts the bag in the microwave heats up the rice and then places it on her ear to try and bring down the moisture in the ear.  I have tried it, and I find it provides some temporary relief.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 01:37:35 pm »
I've found a pretty clear correlation between pressure changes and the headaches I get. When pressure drops rapidly I get headaches and, the bobble head feeling, and some numbness/drooping in facial muscles. Doesn't always track but there is definitely a connection.

I started using this new weather site about a month ago and have been tracking pressure changes. Most of my headaches occur when the barometer is dropping, the faster the drop the worse the headache. I can feel the change as it approaches 30" Hg, from 30 to 29.5" i'm hurting but can work through it.  If it drops down below to 29.5 my headache and other issues are raging and its head on ice. I've found that Aleve-D (with decongestant) seems to provide a little relief. I wonder if the void left by surgery acts like a clogged sinus cavity.
http://weatherspark.com/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:43:29 pm by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org