Author Topic: Question to anyone who had facial paralysis pre-treatment  (Read 3449 times)

Sefra22

Question to anyone who had facial paralysis pre-treatment
« on: July 23, 2006, 07:31:06 am »
I was just wondering how it started. In the last few days, I have noticed a sensation on the outside corner of my eye, and in the corner of my mouth on the AN side of my face. It kind of feels like a bug crawling just under skin (yuk!), or sometimes just a pulse. It only last for a few minutes.
I am waiting until January for surgery, but my doctor said to call him if anything changes. Is this something I should ask him about?
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Pembo

Re: Question to anyone who had facial paralysis pre-treatment
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 07:48:33 am »
I'd give the doc a call. My first symptom was facial numbness. My cheek felt like the novocaine was wearing off.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

amymeri

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 11:53:48 am »
My first symptom (and only symptom) was facial numbness and that crawling feeling, electric shock feelings, a sensation of wetness on my lips...

It was from compression of the trigeminal nerve (cranial nerve 5) from the growing tumor, and deserves a visit to your neurosurgeon and maybe an MRI to check on growth.

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

matti

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 01:28:05 pm »
My first symptom was facial numbness and I could not feel my gums while flossing. As symptoms progressed it felt like something was crawling on my cheek and I would also feel small shocks.

I agree with Amy and Pembo, definitely worth a call to your doctor.

Keep us posted
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

marystro

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 07:36:20 pm »
I started having some facial shocks (shooting pain) up from my mouth to my nose the last 2 days - only when I move my mouth certain way.  For those who have treatment already, did these symptoms get better?  How fast did these symptoms progress pre-treatment?  Were they transitory?  Were the trigeminal nerves just being touched causing these symptoms?  Hope it's not permanent damage to the nerve...  My upcoming CK is not until beginning of August.  I hope these symptoms won't get worse over the next 10 days.
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

amymeri

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 06:56:32 am »
I initially got symptoms sometime in the year before my diagnosis, and they went away after a very brief and mild series of appearances...I didn't think much about them.  At 3:30 on December 28th, 2005 my symptoms hit with a bang and never stopped although the severity would fluctuate.

Since the nerve was manipulated during surgery the 2nd branch of my trigeminal and a little of the 3rd are still affected, but I am hoping will eventually heal.  Its annoying but the facial paralysis is worse and I am hoping that gets better, too.

I don't think 10 days will make much difference, but I would still mention it to the doctor this week.

Amy

Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

marystro

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 07:05:42 pm »
I asked the doctors and was told that the electric shocks are most likely caused by irritation of the trigeminal nerve by the tumor.  They should get better after CK treatment but not immediately however.  It's weird to feel like bugs crawling under your skin and these electric shocks on your face.  Does anyone who had the facial shocks pre-treatment end up having those symptoms improved after radiosurgery treatment?  I know everyone is different but am curious to find out.

Mary
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm