Author Topic: Smelling Smoke ( Cigerette) when there is no smoke around  (Read 8507 times)

recharge

Smelling Smoke ( Cigerette) when there is no smoke around
« on: October 12, 2011, 08:18:18 pm »
Hi ,

I am in Wait and watch mode. I have AN size 9 X 6 X 5 mm diagonised in Feb this year.

I started smelling smoke when there is really no smoke around. I smell this in bed room , my car and my office. No one smokes at my house , my car and car. This started recently for the past 1 month. on and off.
Is it related to AN ?  does anyone of you experianced this?

Please advise.

Thanks
Muru

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Smelling Smoke ( Cigerette) when there is no smoke around
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 08:20:18 am »
Never happened to me. I can smell cigarette smoke on some one, and that  can linger in my nose for a short period of time. I can't imagine that your AN could cause your nose to detect smoke.

James

Maria Odete

• Psalm 37:23,24 - Leviticus 20:26 -Romans 13:4
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 12:21:21 pm »
Hi Muru,

What you are experiencing is known as phantosmia,also known as an olfactory hallucination. You might want to consult an ENT with experience in treating distortions in smell.

Take care-hope it resolves soon.

Odete
Dx: 3.5 cm Acoustic Neuroma. Complete Resection.
Year of Surgery: 1992

Psalm 83:18: "Let men know that You, Whose Name Alone is YAHWEH ,are the Supreme Head over all the earth!" - The Holy Scriptures
Isaiah 43:10 - Isaiah 54:17  -
Psalm 105:15 - Isaiah 65:13,14 - Psalm 105:3 -The Holy Scriptures

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 12:27:51 pm »
Muru ~

This is a new one.  The 1st (olfactory) nerve controls the sense of smell and this should not be affected by a small acoustic neuroma which normally grows on the protective sheath of the 8th cranial nerve.  However, I'm not a doctor and I may be unaware of a relation between the 1st cranial nerve and an acoustic neuroma growth so I suggest you consult your doctor about this phenomena. 

Jim
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:21:23 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LisaP

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 05:23:14 pm »
Hi,

I can relate, I often have a metal smell (the only way that I can describe it) at times.  Just started to experience this past summer.  So for me it is a new symptom.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Susie

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 05:39:45 pm »
Muru,
I can completely relate to your mental smell.  My coworkers call me the super sniffer. Since, I had radiation and lost my sense of hearing, my smeller works overtime. I can't explain it either. Just one of the many "perks" that comes with having an acoustic neuroma, I guess.
Susan
Gamma Knife 6/2007
Right sided facial paralysis 9/2007
Right sided deafness
Oticon Ponto Pro Power 9/2011
Appt at MEEI 10/2011
Psalm 121

JAndrews

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 05:56:20 pm »
I don't think smelling smoke has anything to do with your AN. Have you tried googling it? I find all kind of answers to stuff that way:))
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.