Author Topic: Medic Alert Bracelets / Necklaces  (Read 4880 times)

New girl

Medic Alert Bracelets / Necklaces
« on: October 03, 2011, 04:23:41 pm »
Now that I have titaium mesh in my head I was thinking I should get a medic alert bracelet.  Just in case something happens and I cant speak for myself.  Do a lot of ANers wear these?   :)
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Medic Alert Bracelets / Necklaces
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 04:27:52 pm »
I don't.  Never thought about it actually since titanium is safe in MRIs and does not set off airport security detectors.   ;D

Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:28:05 pm »
New Girl ~

I don't believe an AN surgery patient has the need to wear a 'Medic Alert' bracelet.  I don't.  Those are usually for people suffering from a specific medical condition or wearing a implanted medical advice. None of this applies to post-surgical AN patients.    As Clarice noted, the titanium mesh does not affect undergoing an MRI scan or set off metal detectors.  No special precautions are necessary.  A 'Medic Alert' bracelet would be useful only in the event that you required emergency skull surgery and even then, an X-ray would be taken first (perhaps even an MRI scan) and the titanium mesh would be visible, thus making the surgeon aware of it.  So, not to worry. :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

bre2you

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 07:42:15 pm »
I've been thinking of getting one too. If for no other reason but to alert emergency personnel that I am deaf in my right ear and they need to talk in my left.  :)
Bridget
2.8cm AN removed July 14, 2008
translab; SSD
Michigan Ear Institute
Dr. Dennis Bojrab --- Dr. Daniel Pieper

New girl

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 11:20:58 am »
I think SSD would be important to know.  They make all sorts of bracelets and necklaces now.  My concern was that if I get in a car crash and hit my head the emergency responders at the scene may need to know that my head is atypical.  Hopefully it never happens but you never know.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 02:12:47 pm »
New girl ~

If you believe it would be prudent to wear a 'medic alert' bracelet that states you're SSD and have titanium mesh implanted in your skull, then I see no reason why you shouldn't do so.  My earlier response was based on my personal preference but certainly does not apply to anyone else.  I sense that you feel a need to wear a 'medic alert' bracelet and on that basis I think you should do what seems right for you.  Wearing such a bracelet surely can do no harm and could prove valuable in the event of a catastrophe that left you unable to inform medical personnel of your SSD and titanium mesh implant so, go for it.  :)     

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

New girl

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 04:37:53 pm »
Thanks Jim!  All input/advice is appreciated.  :)
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011