Author Topic: It's a bad one:(  (Read 5867 times)

ombrerose4

It's a bad one:(
« on: September 28, 2011, 06:21:58 am »
Started with my first really bad headache in months about 3 hours ago. Ate, took 1 excedrin and 1 motrin and no relief. Just took 2nd excedrin and hope it helps because I am leaving now for a busy day at work. I am sure that my return to work plus this awful weather is not helping.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: It's a bad one:(
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:40:51 am »
Bummer, Lauren .....

As you know, many of us have weather, stress, and fatigue related headaches ...... sure hoping that is the case for you.  In those days when I had bad headaches (blissfully, only rarely these days), ice packs were my best friend.  Little hard to do at work, however.  Sure hope the meds kick in soon!

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 09:06:56 am »
Lauren, I've been using an injectable Imitrex pen called Sumavel DosePro for the ones that I can specifically identify as migraines which for me start with one sided severe pain in my neck and the back of my head--knocks them out totally and I'm smiling again in about 45 minutes.  For the ones that I can idetify as tension headaches, which are unilateral and start in my temples, I take a drug called fioricet which is cheap and generic.

Are you on a preventive like gabapentin?  That worked well for me for years to dampen down the daily head pain.  As you start counting the years post-op, things will change for the better and become more manageable.

Good Luck!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Mei Mei

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 06:28:46 pm »
I used Imitrex for so long that it is no longer effective for me.   What I find really works if two Alleve and an ice bag around the neck and over the forehead.   

Feel better.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Mei Mei

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 05:28:04 pm »
Started with my first really bad headache in months about 3 hours ago. Ate, took 1 excedrin and 1 motrin and no relief. Just took 2nd excedrin and hope it helps because I am leaving now for a busy day at work. I am sure that my return to work plus this awful weather is not helping.

Lauren,
I am very torn by  the advice of my Chinese Medicine doctors here in Maryland and my aunt in Beijing, Chine.   They say never to use cold,  no molter what age they are,   Chinese Medicine say, never to use cold.   It has been my practice to use heat from the microwave packs  on my neck and the ice packs that I receive great relief from at night when I go up to bed. .   I am very torn about the heat vs. the ice packs.   My nurse practitioner say to do what feels good for me.   So what feels good for me is heat in the morning and afternoon and ice packs at night.
Hugs to you,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

TP

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 06:40:25 am »
I don't get headaches very often but when I do have one I find two extra strength (500 mg) Bayer Aspirin works best for headaches. Aleve works best for my old body when the bones ache.....(I am in martial arts and after I have a class the next three days everything is sore and hurts....  ::)
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision