Author Topic: Increased temperature on my paralzed side of the face  (Read 2668 times)

micca82

Increased temperature on my paralzed side of the face
« on: September 15, 2011, 02:40:49 am »
I wonder if anyone has this from the facial paralysis.

I'm in Korea right now visiting some family. My brother took me to #1 East Medicine hospital here in Korea. They ran 'thermography' on my face. I read somewhere that with facial paralysis caused by Bell's palsy, your paralyzed side will show lower temperature than your good side. So I was expecting this result, but then the test result showed the opposite. My paralyzed side of the face is actually higher in temperature (in almost every part) than my good side. The doctor said my result was the opposite of what he is used to seeing from his patients with facial paralysis. He suspects elevated temperature could mean I have infection somewhere but I highly doublt this as my core temperature is perfectly normal. If I have an infection, shouldn't I have a fever or anything? I don't have that. I am having skin trouble since the surgery and I wonder if this is from the elevated facial temperature. (I used to never have a break out on my face like this, now I break out all the time on my face and neck-very frustrating)

Does anyone have any clue why there is discrepancy in my facial temperature like this? Or does anyone had the same 'thermography' result like me?

I'm contemplating whether accupuncture and/or herbal medicine will help. What do you think?

Thank you for reading my post.
MRI found 5.1cm AN on left on 3/18/11: age of 28
Surgery 4/5/11 with dr.Tamargo and dr. Francis. @ johns Hopkins
Whole tumor removed, facial nerves in tact, but unresponsive
Platinum eyelid weight on 4/6
Left facial paralysis, numbness, double vision

God is the Healer

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Increased temperature on my paralzed side of the face
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 05:34:03 am »
Although the appearance is the same, the cause of surgery-induced facial paralysis is definitely different from Bell's Palsy. Are you having the creepy crawly feeling of nerves regenerating? Maybe that activity actually increases the temperature. Just a theory . . .
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

micca82

Re: Increased temperature on my paralzed side of the face
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 04:36:44 pm »
Thank you for replying. Yes, i do have constant crawling/pulling sensation under the skin. I would be thrilled if your theory is correct. My crawling sensation is almost always around my jaw area, almost feels like it starts from my ear and ends at the corner of my mouth. Thd test showed elevated temperature pretty much everywhere so im really not sure what this means. My paralyzed face does look a little swollen than my good side (i had posted about this earlier) so i wonder if elevated temp is linked to that in any way. Could my face be inflamed? If so, how is it so? I am so confused!

Sara, i had accupuncture yesterday and saw something interesting. I actually saw the needles stuck in The part that i feel crawling were shaking a little. So i guess muscles are twitching underneath the skin, i just cant see it outside. I just thought that was interesting.

This journey is just full of questions. Does anyone have had similar thermography result?

Thank you
MRI found 5.1cm AN on left on 3/18/11: age of 28
Surgery 4/5/11 with dr.Tamargo and dr. Francis. @ johns Hopkins
Whole tumor removed, facial nerves in tact, but unresponsive
Platinum eyelid weight on 4/6
Left facial paralysis, numbness, double vision

God is the Healer