Author Topic: Return to Work  (Read 3399 times)

para1

Return to Work
« on: September 10, 2011, 05:04:02 pm »
Hi all,

I had surgery for my AN in March.  In May I was back in the hospital for a week with a CSF leak.  I returned to work this week in a preschool class.  I can't even believe how exhausted I am.  I know that some of it has to be the usual tiredness of work but I feel like it's more.  I feel completely drained.  Also, it sounds crazy, but the bright colors of everything in the school and the kids coming at me in the hall totally disorient me not to mention the up and down on the floor with the kids.  I am just wondering if this can be normal at 6 months post op.  I'm starting to feel nervous that I may not be able to do the job I once did.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks!!!

Brewers7

Re: Return to Work
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 05:39:36 pm »
You are still very early in your amazing recovery.  Be patient with yourself.  There is no telling what you will eventually be able to do.  I returned to work as a prosecutor at  6 months post op after massive complicatons (including a CSF leak).  It has been a learning process for me - much trial and error.  All in all, it has been good for me to get back into my somewhat altered routine.  I certainly can understand that dealing with kids would be challenging.  I just have to deal with criminals and their lawyers. 
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 08:40:57 pm »
Para, Just wondering how you knew you had a csf leak.  I am 4 months post op and have more headaches, more deep ear pain and seems when I wake before the alarm in the morning with the worse headaches.  Could be all part of healing but I do worry about a leak.  Thanks
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

para1

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 06:45:13 am »
I started getting very swollen at my incision site.  Then one morning when I got out of the shower I felt my hair which was already wet but my incision site it felt different.  After drying my hair, I could feel dripping and my husband could see the csf leaking out. 

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 08:14:37 am »
Our recovery is a long one. I'm 3 years post-op & feel that I am still improving/getting stronger. I have less headaches, I'm not as drained at the end of the day. My balance is still improving & my wonkihead isn't wonki so often anymore.

This week was a demanding week for me at work. I was so tired by the time Friday came around, but it was just tired that I felt. For the first time in a long time, I could tell the difference between being tired & being drained. I was tired from work, not drained because of my AN.

I find that exercise helps me a great deal. I enjoy walking as my form of exercise. It has helped me a great deal with my balance & dizziness. But if I stop walking, as can happen in the winter, I notice a slight setback in my balance & dizzines.

Be patient. You will feel better.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

JAndrews

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 09:07:55 am »
I didn't feel like myself again until about a year. The fatigue/exhaustion was overwhelming for the first 5 or 6 months--it does get easier.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.