Author Topic: Kimbo's update from Translab surgery 17/5.  (Read 5057 times)

kimbo

• We do not remember days....we remember moments.
Kimbo's update from Translab surgery 17/5.
« on: May 24, 2011, 05:41:22 pm »
Hi Folks

I am finally home  :D, 8 days post op and relieved to be on the other side of treatment. 

I required surgery because I had developed major balance issues pre surgery after being in Watch and Wait for nearly three years.  I was getting around with a walking stick for 3 months prior to Translabyrinth surgery 8am 17th May. I returned to a normal ward at 5:30pm but my surgery was only 5 hours long; they kept me in recovery for an extended period to avoid an overnight stay in ICU.  The doctors said they removed the 1.2 cm tumour and it was adherent on the facial nerve but they managed to leave it intact;  I was very happy with the report.  The first 2-3 days I suffered double vision and severe vomiting which was pretty awful but I do remember someone on the Forum saying the first 3days don’t count so that made it easier to accept.  I progressed well after that and they released me from hospital on Mon 23rd May; the trip home (5hrs) was not pretty, I felt like I was on a roller coaster the whole way, I don’t want to get in a car for another few days yet.  I am walking slowly but without the stick, I feel pressure and tightness over the wound site and I have wonky head and of course I am SSD (it is not really noticeable).  I have full sensation on the right side of my face but it has weakness and my tinnitus has not changed.  Really I feel pretty good and I am extremely pleased with my progress and most grateful for the surgical team that looked after me.  My family and friends have given me untold support, I feel really blessed.  It has been an extraordinary journey one that I will take away knowing that I have a wonderful family and friends and that your health is your biggest asset. 
Regards
Kimbo
Thank you to the Forum for the wisdom and support that it provides.
Diagn 8/8/08 AN right 13mm x 9mm
mod/severe hearing loss & tinnitus
Translab surgery 05/17/2011
SSD & CSF leak x 4
Aussie

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Kimbo's update from Translab surgery 17/5.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 06:28:08 pm »
Hi Kimbo .....

It sounds like we had similar situations and surgeries within the past two weeks!  So glad you are doing well.  I did not have to do the balance compensation again, since I went through all of that three years ago ..... but I can empathize with the double vision and roller coaster feeling that I had last time.  It truly does get better rather quickly so hope that is the case for you!

Thoughts and prayers.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 08:53:23 pm »
Welcome to postie land!  As you have no doubt heard....listen to your body, rest when you need to and take your meds if you need them.  You'll be up and about in no time! Keep us posted!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

HJY

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 11:57:54 am »
Hi Kimbo,
Congrats on doing so well! It does get better and better! I'm six months post and as I read your post I found myself thinking "Oh yeh - I remember that"! Yet it really is a distant memory!  Hard to believe when you are fresh out of surgery but it will get so much better!
All the best from a fellow Aussie over here in WA!
Take care,
Heather
1.4cm L sided AN removed 6th Dec, 2010 (7 weeks after my 3rd baby was born!)
Surgeons - Proff Marcus Atlas & Dr George Wong, Ear Science Institute, Perth Western Australia
Mid Fossa,Hearing preserved,HB level 6 facial palsy Balance
issues
1st Oct, 2011 - Facial recovery HB 2-3, sudden HL of 30dB

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 04:08:08 pm »
I feel for you, I think recovery is not so easy.  I am always one to bounce back fast but this is slow.  I too have that swelling tightness etc over the top of my incision, it is painful which it would resolve.  I could not imagine getting in the car for a 5 hour drive, you are a trooper for that!! Well hope your recovery goes real well and we are both back to our normal selves in no time.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

kimbo

• We do not remember days....we remember moments.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 07:54:46 pm »
Hi folks

I am posting from hospital (discovered they have free laptop service) this is my 3rd admission to hospital since having Translab surgery 17th May and I have had 4 operations in total; I am running out of puff.  I was going quite well in my recovery from the original surgery but developed a CSF leak at 8 weeks post op.  I went to hospital and had successful surgery to repair the leak; it then leaked from the wound and I needed the wound site over stitched to stop the second leak.  Discharged ready for recovery phase again.  I did not feel well over the next few weeks, I was constantly tired, I had a major swelling on the side of my head which gave me constant headaches.  At my 1 month checkup after the second surgery the doctor was very concerned at the amount of swelling I had saying it was a collection of CSF; I didn't get to go home he admitted me to hospital to try and sought out the swelling issues.  They tried a pressure dressing over the site for 5 days which didn't work so then the Dr said more surgery.  They drained the site and inserted more belly fat into the site hoping to seal any spaces.  This surgery was mostly successful but the doctor was still concerned that the site was still swollen.  I then had a lumbar drain inserted for 5 days which will be removed tomorrow and I had more surgery to put an extra drain directly from the surgery site to drain the residual CSF.  I am in hospital for another few days to monitor if the drain procedures have worked and I can go home.  How do I feel? I feel apprehensive that the swelling might come back but I am trying to be positive which is hard after 3 months.  I still deem the original surgery a major success; I have very little facial issues, I am fairly used the the SSD, my balance is pretty OK but hard to tell because with the swelling it was affected more than usual and I feel blessed with a successful surgery.  Without the complication I believe I would be really good.  I hope when I get discharged I can get back to the job of regaining my strength and returning to work; my paid sick leave runs out in a month. It has been quite a journey.

Kimbo
Diagn 8/8/08 AN right 13mm x 9mm
mod/severe hearing loss & tinnitus
Translab surgery 05/17/2011
SSD & CSF leak x 4
Aussie

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:11:02 pm »
Oh Kimbo .....

So sorry you have had to deal with a series of CSF leaks since your original AN surgery!  Not fair.

Praying that all will now be well and you can complete the recovery from surgery.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 07:23:41 am »
Kimbo~

What an ordeal that you have been thru!! Let's hope that they got everything taken care of this time & you are on your way to a wonderful recovery.

Good thoughts & lots of prayers coming your way!

;D

PS - I could handle TWO fat harvests...just sayin'  ;)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 03:39:13 pm »
Kimbo ~

I'm so sorry to learn of these CSF leaks that are delaying your full recovery.  I hope this is the end of that road for you.  However, I'm delighted to learn that, otherwise, the surgery went well and you expect a full recovery.  I just hope that it will begin for you, soon! 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Grateful_1

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 07:40:23 pm »
Kimbo,

I love your positive attitude!  Having been through several CSF leak issues myself, I know that remaining positive through it all is very important.  It really does get better eventually.  Take care!
St. Louis University Hosp., St. Louis, MO
Drs. A. Mikulec and D. Sasaki-Adams
12/28/10 - Translab surg for 2.5cm AN on right
1/13/11- lumbar drain, pulmonary embolism
3/11/11 - menengitis
4/12/11 & 5/26/11 - CSF leak repairs
SSD, facial paralysis, balance issues, fatigue