Author Topic: longterm fatigue  (Read 3243 times)

mrmel

longterm fatigue
« on: June 17, 2011, 02:09:30 pm »
Hi everyone
 Anybody out there 5 years post op or more with fatigue or memory problems, with any success with relief?
                             Mel

Desilu

Re: longterm fatigue
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:17:16 pm »
Hi Mel,

I am almost 6 years post-op. The only excuse that I can use for memory loss is "I'm getting older". Same thing with the fatigue, I'm just not as young as I used to be! But we have to keep smiling, what is the option? I don't mean to make "light" of your situation but don't panic. If there is a reason for your problems, someone will steer you in the right direction. There is a lot of knowledge on this website, please hang in there. Hopefully you will get an answer soon.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

mrmel

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 01:25:29 pm »
Thank you, my point is that from what i understand many patients suffer from the fatigue andy memory loss, and i know hundreds of people that have not had a tumor and they are in their fifies and are not having fatigue, can work and are not having cognitive issues and neither did i before the tumor and neither did any of these other patients. It seems that if these doctors are aware of this complication and it is life altering that they would be doing some research to find help. I do not agree with  you that one should sit and be patien, i have been patient for 14 years, while i lost my marriage, home , family and job, so i think it is time someone look into answers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                             Mel

Desilu

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 06:41:30 am »
Hi Mel,

I am sorry to hear that your life has been so altered by your AN. No AN results are ever the same from patient to patient. But you are right, if so many people have had these issues, how come the doctors haven't addressed this? Maybe after the Symposium someone who has gone will be able to shed some new light on your situation. I wish you the best. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 02:54:47 pm »
Mel-
I am so sorry that this is happening to you. I am just now 41 & have had fatigue and memory issues since I had AN surgery at 25. I would be the first to say my life is DRASTICALLY different than what I thought that it would be right now. HOWEVER, as we always say, there is a "new normal" to get used to for many of us after surgery. Even though my life isn't exactly what'd I'd planned out, I'm am trying to make the most out of what I have been given. IMO, I have the CHOICE to try to make it the best that I can...that requires some creative views of things, scheduling important things when I am at my best, the ability to laugh at myself and LOTS of humor!!

My best advice is to keep searching out a Dr to help w/ physical problems and if you have found so many other patients (from your area? I'm a bit unclear on this...), you could present your cases together...

Good luck!!
:D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 04:02:43 pm »
I'm almost 5 yrs out and I guess you can say I am suffering from long term fatigue.  I'm always exhausted.  My sleep is so disrupted because for chronic headaches and facial pain.  Mel I understand how quickly difficulties can irrupt in a marriage.  I've been married almost 27 years and raised four son who are all still at home.  Some days are very trying for myself and my family, but we do get through them, thankfully.   I'm very sorry for all that you lost and I hope you do have someone in your life who cares about you. 

Take care,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 06:18:09 am »
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Lots of have faced the issues you have - but they were totally unrelated to an AN.  Personally I speak from experience. 

Have you looked into other things that might be causing your fatigue and memory loss?  Depression could be a possibility; and it's very common in AN patients.  You might want to consider counseling.

Just my two cents,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 09:09:14 am »
Mel,
I can totally relate to what you are saying and am feeling the same on my 5th year anniversary.  :-[ The brain fog seems to be worsening and I am seeking professional help at this point. Have always been on antidepressants and need to change things around. I also just turned 50 so thinking it is the aging process. But is so very concerning and depressing, even as I try to be very pro active and positive. Very difficult. I'm also going to go for an acupuncture treatment or 2 (or more) to see if that will help with the mental clarity thing.
I've spent the 5 years since the surgery with facial and eye issues and surgeries galore, so now it's time for some mental health. Through the years, I think the stress just keeps slowly piling up, and I have the tinnitus also. I seem to have less energy through it all, and more emotional than physical fatigue.
Send me a personal message if you would like more venting. I DO understand!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty