Author Topic: Steroid use  (Read 5052 times)

jphua

Steroid use
« on: May 20, 2011, 09:16:30 am »
I lost my hearing again and now working with the acupuncturist but he's still unable to get the my hearing back after 6 sessions.  He's going on vacation for 2 weeks.  Now I am thinking of going back to steroids again.
Problem with steroids is that it just brings back my hearing for 10 days.  Given the side effects, I do not know if I should use it for long term.
I intend to head for surgery after my August trip.  But meanwhile, I want to keep my hearing
Can any one advise if I should keep hearing with continuous use of steroids till August?
Right AN diagnosed 2.1 cm. (4/1/11)
Surgery + BAHA-Ponto 8/10/11. 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Found to be Facial (7th) Nerve Tumor 
Translab - removed over 2/3rd of tumor avoided facial nerve damage.
SSD, hoping for the best

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Steroid use
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 12:14:24 pm »
Jphua ~

I'm not a physician but I doubt that taking steroids for 3 months would be advisable, under any conditions.  The potential for liver damage and other unpleasant side effects would have to be considered.  You would need a doctors prescription and so, consulting a doctor is almost mandatory and he (or she) could better answer this question. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 02:11:39 pm »
I agree with Jim that 3 months seems like an awfully long time for steroid use. But perhaps the dosage that you got was not sufficient, or the type of steroid did not work for you? In all three cases when I experienced sudden and total hearing loss, my ENT prescribed a very high dose of Prednisone (40 mg) for 2 weeks, followed by a very slow taper. My hearing came back after about 2 weeks from starting the steroids. However the period elapsed between the hearing loss and the first dose of steroids is important too. I was told that they must be started as soon as possible.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 10:36:51 am »
My answer is the same as Jim's.

I'm not a doctor, but 3 months of steroids doesn't sound wise to me.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lholl36233

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 02:52:19 am »
I don't think long term steroid use is wise either.  Over an 8 month period, I had 3 different rounds of Prednisone.  It helped my hearing the first 2 times but not the last.  That was the end of that.

Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

LisaM

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 10:30:20 am »
Thanks to you Jphua, I'm doing acupuncture.  Here's a detailed account of my last few weeks of life with an AN, hearing loss, steroids and acupuncture:

I had my second round of hearing loss on Mother's Day and started the high dose of steroids within two hours of the hearing loss, 60mg for 5 days and then tapering off quickly for 5 days.  I started acupuncture treatments the day after the hearing loss.  My hearing came back and is perhaps slightly better than it was in March when I had a hearing test.  I've been off the steroids for almost a week and have continued with the acupuncture.  I'm going 3 times a week (costing me a fortune!), lots of needles on my AN side with as much electricity as I can stand for about 30 minutes.  Last week I got a cold from a reduced immune system, thanks to the steroids, and have had a stuffy head (causing pressure in my ears) but my hearing is hanging in there.

From what I understand the AN creates pressure and presses on the nerves.  The steroids reduce inflammation, thus reducing pressure.  I'm not sure what the acupuncture does, but my acupuncturist is working on the neuroma which she describes as a swollen nerve, to reduce the swelling.  I have also removed all dairy products from my diet and am keeping sodium, sugar and wheat at a minimum as all of these foods are known to promote inflammation.  I 'm also drinking lots of water.  I have also stopped using my cell phone except for on speaker and have stopped using my cordless headset (I've used  a headset for over 15years).  I've also been instructed to stay away from high altitudes (airplanes) and avoid swimming during treatment.  I'm also doing kundalini yoga and avoiding stress.

My plan is to continue the acupuncture until July 14th when I have another MRI.  I will have another hearing test in about 10 days to see if my hearing is stable.  Thankfully I have great insurance for the MRIs and hearing tests, I just wish the insurance recognized acupuncture in the same way it sees other medicine.  I figure my hearing is a worthy investment!

The steroids were an awful experience for me and made me feel psychotic.  I had "wonky head" and felt really, really strange coming off the prednisone.  My gut is still suffering.  And the steroids may of may not bring your hearing back.  As already mentioned here, going on the steroids right away is key.  I'm crossing everything that the acupuncture works but it's too early to tell.  Thank you for pointing me in that direction!  I'm really struggling with the idea of losing my hearing in my left ear but I figure I will risk trying this alternative approach before going under the knife.

BTW... have you decided where you will have surgery?

C'est moi,
Lisa M
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)

jphua

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 10:25:18 pm »
I completely lost my hearing as of last week.  Acupuncture helps to keep a few decibel up but not up to a good hearing level. 
 My ENT Dr refuse to prescribe steroid as this will be my third dose in 2 months.  She had mentioned that my hearing cannot be preserved and most patients lost hearing after surgery anyway.  Not worth the risk of steroid.  I'm thinking of continuing with acupuncture and herbs to keep my hearing nerve active till August after I get back from my trip.  Either way, I have to be prepared that I have to live with SSD.  I have not decided on which doctor to go to yet for surgery.
Right AN diagnosed 2.1 cm. (4/1/11)
Surgery + BAHA-Ponto 8/10/11. 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Found to be Facial (7th) Nerve Tumor 
Translab - removed over 2/3rd of tumor avoided facial nerve damage.
SSD, hoping for the best

LisaM

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:41:58 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about your hearing loss.  Does your acupuncturist ever use electricity?  I asked about the use of electricity today during my appointment and she said (what I interpreted as) it makes the treatment stronger and more aggressive.  Fingers crossed MORE of your hearing returns.  Are you having any other symptoms?
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)