Author Topic: Look...no hands!!!  (Read 3367 times)

kkl

Look...no hands!!!
« on: April 18, 2011, 08:31:03 am »
First time in 4 months, I went up the stairs without having to hold the rails. Even if I was slow and not graceful, even if it's just 2 flights of stairs, I was so proud of myself for being able to do it!  For people who don't have AN, they wouldn't realize how these little things can be a milestone for us posties.  So yeah, I'm finally believing, I just need to be patient and I'll be better as days go by.  Now my face is also 90%+ functioning.  Just still get a bit dizzy when I move my head to fast and couldn't move/walk too fast yet.

Konnie ( 4 months post op)

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: Look...no hands!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:46:05 am »
Konnie

Great news!  Just proves that our body can adjust to just about anything.  Continue the great improvement.

TJ

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:05:00 am »
Good job, Konnie .....

It is great that you are pushing yourself towards these milestones.  Just be very careful on each new activity ..... keep a railing or person handy at first ...... broken bones are not much fun if you fall.

Many of us can relate to these advances that other people just take for granted!

Keep pushing upward and onward!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:47:55 pm »
Konnie ~

Congratulations on reaching another milestone on the path of your recovery!  At 4 months post-op, you're doing quite well.  I had an excellent surgical outcome but didn't climb stairs without using the handrails until 6 months (post-op) or so.  Now, I do it without thinking about it.  Another personal milestone was riding an escalator (both up and down) without holding the handrail.  This took me more than a year to accomplish and I still have to think about it when I do this, which isn't all that often.  I agree with Clarice that one must be sensibly cautious when trying to accomplish a new goal.  Don't be discouraged if your first few attempts fail.  Just keep trying - but do so with a 'fallback' plan i.e. grabbing the handrail .  Time is on your side.  Patience helps.  Good luck!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

epodjn

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 12:16:09 pm »
I hope it keeps getting better and better for you. You have a great start so I think it will. I am over 2 years post-op and the other day I walked down the stairs with a basket of laundry in one arm and the vacuum in the other. When I got to the bottom it dawned on me. . . .WOW I no way could have done that even a year ago. So, yes, it keeps getting better!!!
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!