Author Topic: Titinus Question  (Read 4573 times)

Kelly718

Titinus Question
« on: March 21, 2011, 05:55:30 pm »
I am 4 years post op after surgery. I have lost the hearing in my left ear and have been experiencing ongoing titinus. It sounds like a loud hissing. I have been able to deal with it pretty well and most of the time I forget it's there. However, this past month I have been experiencing a loud banging sound in the ear that lasts anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes. It scared me when it first happened. It sounds like a typewriter is going off in my head and I can't concentrate and begin to panic! It happens once every few days. Does anyone have any insight? My last MRI was last year and was fine. I am afraid that one day it will begin and never stop! My doc says I shouldn't be hearing anything in that ear at all. i don't understand what is going on in there! Is it nerves acting up? Just looking for some peace after being through so much in my life.  :(  Thank you.
3X3cm AN removed via retrosigmoid, 3/07

Dr. Davis is my hero! :)
A sense of humor goes a long way!

moe

Re: Titinus Question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 07:01:00 pm »
Kelly,
I truly sympathize with you on the tinnitus. Mine is a high shrill 24/7 >:(

Spring is coming (correction, arrived yesterday!)  and allergies play havoc on the ears- just a thought. Maybe try a decongestant if you are prone to allergies.

Don't you just hate it when the doctor says you shouldn't be hearing anything in that ear at all? Gee thanks Doc... It's the inner brain thing with the tinnitus,(neurons firing from where the nerve was cut, or something like that )  and since we are deaf, we "hear" it even worse. I'd give anything for a cure to the noisy madness. It rules my life. BUT my life is good, just gotta calm the brain with rests, and music~real quiet music in the one good ear.

Hang in there~ peace for me comes when I go outside and just watch the birds and garden. It seems to help reduce it.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:11:45 pm »
Hi Kelly

It's the same with me.  I asked the registrar about the 'electical buzz' that I hear every now and then and he said "You shouldn't be hearing anything in that ear".
The ENT doc said that the nerve ends are still in our heads.  They have nothing to 'hook into' so therefore people with AN loss of hearing seem to hear all kinds of noises.
Be assured that it's normal.
I also have very bad tinnitus but it gets worse toward the end of a day as well as whooshing noises when I turn my head so I try to visualize something to take my mind off it.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Maureen has a good idea with the music.

Hugs,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:22:21 pm »
Here are my two cents for things you can try to reduce the level of tinnitus. Please keep in mind that, although this works extremely reliably for me, your results may vary.

First, stay as healthy and regular as you possibly can be. The more poor my diet is, the worse my tinnitus gets. And if I don't get enough sleep or exercise, my tinnitus gets worse.

I finds eating a lot of steamed, dark, leafy green vegetables (kale, collard greens and chard) and baked salmon help immensely. I eat oily foods in strict moderation and virtually never eat anything with cane sugar in it. Especially avoid fried foods.

I take bromelain (a natural anti-inflammatory derived from pineapple stems) and curcumin (an extract of the kitchen spice turmeric, also anti-inflammatory) daily. Bromelain should be taken on an empty stomach at least 1/2 hour before a meal.

For some, implementing all these suggestions might be too radical of a lifestyle change. But the rewards are worth it, and after awhile you won't miss eating sugar, for example, one bit.

I hope these suggestions help you. They give me dramatic relief. Again, YMMV.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 08:34:42 am »
Kelly .....

Good replies already.

Just wanted to add that I know caffeine makes mine worse, even chocolate ..... but at this point I am willing to tolerate the extra annoying noise for one cup of coffee in the morning for my "jump-start" to the day.  I have not tried the bromelain or curcumin, but my normal diet consists of a lot of dark green vegetables and wild caught salmon (when I can get it).

Lack of sleep or extreme fatigue definitely makes it worse.

I'm anticipating another surgery soon, which will completely take all hearing in my AN ear ...... hoping and praying the tinnitus is no worse than the high-pitched surging squeal 24/7 I have now.  Many times I have what sounds like a clanging triangle, which is very distracting but not always there.

We are having an audiologist come to our WV Support Group meeting next month, specifically addressing the subject of tinnitus.  She has her doctorate in Audiology so very anxious to hear what she has to say.  I have also signed up for all the tinnitus workshops at the ANA Symposium in June!

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 09:13:17 am »
Once again having tinnitus for over 30 years its very important for me to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Including what Clarice and TW have mentioned alot of things we can do to minimize effects. Please look into the posts hear concerning tinnitus where over the years you can pick up what we all have done which may be helpful. Tinnitus also can be very annoying for no apparent reason but then usually settles back. Wishing you the best, Mickey

Mark241

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 12:05:10 pm »
I'm 5 yrs post -op and started getting the same noises you described awhile back. I picked up a herbal supplement at the vitamine store geared towards tinnitus. It hasn't' worked any miracles, but I think its' helping slightly, which is is better than nothing.
mark
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

Tumbleweed

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 11:20:45 pm »
Large doses of niacin (a B vitamin) can also help lessen tinnitus because it increases blood flow to the cranial nerves. However, use caution: taking large doses for an extended period of time can damage your liver. If you start feeling nauseous in the morning, back off. That's the sign of a toxic reaction.

It's generally better to get your B vitamins (and other nutrients) from your food than from a pill. And it's important to take your B vitamins together, as in B complex, as taking one B vitamin in isolation can lead to a deficiency in the others. Most foods that are high in protein are also high in balanced vitamin B complex.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08