Author Topic: Facial nerve intact - how long till you got movement?  (Read 21952 times)

Jessica000

Re: Facial nerve intact - how long till you got movement?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 07:38:31 am »
Hi,

I got movement back first for cheek and nose. They are not complete yet but has gradual and significant recovery constantly.
My other areas are indeed weaker compared to the cheek and nose. But I believe it's because the nerves to those areas are longer and it doesn't mean that recovery will be bad. My recovery begins with twitching and some ant-crawling sensation beneath my skin too. As of now, my chin,lips and neck are just beginning to feel those sensation. I believe it's a good sign as I expect recovery pattern to be similar to my cheek recovery.

For timeline guide, my first sign of recovery happen at around 3-4 months post op.
At around 6 months, my chin start feeling more twitches. My eye can now blink further but there's still a tiny gap when closed. I can raise my forehead a little so that I look more alert but my brows are still weak. My smile is a lot more natural. Could see the smile lines at the chin to the lips coming back. But kinda look like broken lines haha. I am short of showing 1 tooth to achieve a complete symmetrical smile.

I am now 7-8 months post op.

Be patient and keep the motivation going!

gms

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 02:30:26 pm »
I had my AN removed in July of 2004. I had a  translab. for 2.5cm tumor. After surgery, I had no movement and was told I would regain movement, my facial nerve was intact. I started to regain movement about 6 months following surgery. It started out as a little sensation/twitch around my naso-labial fold (crease in area next to nose). I was not able to blink following surgery and my blink came back about the same time. It was a gradual process. At rest, you don't notice a difference, but when I smile, you can see I have some weakness around my lips on my AN side. My blink is not as quick as my good eye, but at least I can blink and close my eye when I sleep.

Just hang in there and be positive. I too, was very frustrated after surgery, because I had no movement. Another thought is to find an occupational therapist to work with. They may be able to give you some advice and therapy to help regain movement.

Pembo

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 11:08:06 am »
I had first movement at the corner of my mouth. That was 7 years ago and it is still recovering. The biggest thing I've gained from my AN journey is patience. Facial nerve recovery is all about patience.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

lauralynn

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 06:00:12 pm »
Hello HJY and welcome to the AN family!  May I ask what the size of your AN was?  I had mine removed by translab in April of 2009 (4 cm) and my face had no movement at all right after surgery and appeared to droop .  Also I could not close my eye and ended up having to get a gold weight implant.  I recommend doing facial exercises...daily.  You can pm me and I will tell you the ones that I do.  I take pictures of myself once a month...and then look at them to see if I notice any changes.  In August of 2010 I was taking my picture and I was practicing smiling in the mirror and that was the first day I noticed the first movement!  I was estatic!!! It was the smallest movement in the corner of my mouth but it moved!  I always worry about what people are going to think of the appearance of my face but I am my worst critic.  I recently met ChristineH from this site just before her surgery.  Her husband and her both said the only thing they could notice is that my left eye is not as opened as the right eye.  So for me...I believe the exercises have helped...even doing exercises for the rest of your body does stimulate those facial nerves too.  I remember being discouraged as you are but don't give up hope.  Things will improve, just takes time...it will happen.  Keep us posted.   :)

God Bless,

Laura Lynn
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone