Author Topic: Surgery at House, Sept 14th.  (Read 20535 times)

TR4guy

• Hey - what happened to my photo?
    • Inside Scott's Head
Surgery at House, Sept 14th.
« on: August 29, 2010, 07:34:45 pm »
Hi all,

First of all, let me say thanks for helping me through that little crisis of confidence I was having a few weeks ago.
I updated my signature to show the change, but never made an official announcement.

I am now going to go to the House Ear Clinic to have surgery on Sept. 14th.
They are going to do the Translab approach.

As soon as I made this decision, I was in a much better mental state.
The only problem I had was having to tell the Georgetown docs that I was going to House.

I liked those guys.  I sorta feel bad that they lost the chance to do my surgery twice.
House was my number once choice though, and they fit me in quickly.
(I told them if they couldn't do it soon, I had other options)

I'd be interested in reading the details of anyone elses experience at house.  Particularly if they were coming from a long way off as I am.

Thanks to all,

Scott
40 yr old single male
Alexandria, VA
3.5cm AN on right side diagnosed July 2010.

Significant unilateral hearing loss
tinnitus
fullness of ear (starting to hurt!)
Occasional headaches on one side
Some loss of balance when moving

Translab Surgery at House Clinic on Sept. 14th. (2010)
Doing GREAT!

suz

Re: Surgery at House, Sept 14th.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 08:04:06 pm »
Congradulations, Scott!
One of the toughest decisions is choosing WHERE to have surgery. I had been followed by a neurotologist in my home town(Philadelphia area) for 4 years but ultimately chose House as well. My surgery was on July 14th, 2010. I was very pleased with the experience. My results were excellent; the doctors were as personable and clinically excellent in person as they were over the phone. I hate to fly, and don't love having brain surgery or leaving my kids for 2 weeks but in spite of all of that I do not regret my choice one bit. I had the most confidence in their skills and knowledge of all of the docs I had consulted with and I knew that they would do the very best possible job in removing my AN.
There is alot involved in planning for a trip like this. My husband and I chose to stay at Seton Hall for the 2 days prior, and 2 days after discharge. My husband of course stayed there while I was hospitalized. The accomodations are ok; but the convenience and proximity can't be beat. (THey even have a tunnel that you can take fronm the hospital back to Seton if you or your family wants to visit you late at night.) But 2 days after discharge we left for a nicer part of town for the remainder of our stay. There are lots of possible hotels that you can choose - and some will transport you back and forth from House.  But we found a lovely Hilton Garden in in El Segundo that was perfect for us.
We stayed for about 2 weeks and 2 days. I wanted to be sure that I felt fine before flying back. Was really worried about that but I really felt fine - like a normal flight - on our way home. Arranged for wheelchair assistance at LAX which was great. They have someone who personally pushes you from place to place til at the gate. Was really glad that I did that as walking through all of those crowds feeling unsteady would not have been great.
THere is so much I could tell you since it is all so fresh in my mind. Please feel free to send a personal message with specific questions. I am also happy to chat with you - Will send you a PM with my phone number. Either way, I wish you the best. I know you will be well taken care of!
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 09:05:17 pm »
Scott -

I'm not a House alumnae, so I can't give you any input there.

Just wanted to say good luck on the 14th.  You're in good hands and I'm confident things will go well for you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 09:07:49 pm »
Hi, Scott,

I flew from the east coast (NJ) to have surgery at House in January 2008 and it was a decision I would make again in a heartbeat. A couple of things I did that worked out well: my husband and I rented a car (picked up at LAX upon arrival) with a GPS. We did a lot of driving, touring, etc. both before and after my surgery (I should mention that I felt fine prior to my surgery -- my only symptom was hearing loss -- and I recovered quickly enough from my translab procedure that we were able to do a reasonable amount of touring afterwards as well). We stayed at Seton Hall the entire two weeks (except for the last night, which we spent at one of the LAX hotels to more easily catch our early morning flight back east) -- it's not luxurious, but adequate and the proximity to House and St. Vincent's is invaluable. We upgraded to first-class for the flight back home -- the extra space, quieter surroundings, etc. made it worthwhile, not to mention the non-existent line at security for first-class check-in. I didn't require a wheelchair and we were at the terminal gate a mere 30 minutes after leaving our hotel that morning.

Best wishes to you! You'll be in wonderful hands at House.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 08:27:52 am »
Hi, Scott!  I too was a House translab patient and traveled to LA from Atlanta.  My husband & mother both went with me.  I second what Catherine said about getting a GPS in your rental car!  We didn't and we regretted it the moment we got on the interestate.  My husband stayed at Seton the whole time I was in the hospital, then he flew back home to be w/ our boys.  Mom stayed the recovery week with me - we actually ended up moving to a hotel that was recommended by St. Vincent's.  I just felt like I needed to get away from the hospital environment for that week of recovery.  The hotel provided transportation to and from St. Vincent's (my husband returned the rental car when he flew back).  Many, if not most, do, however, stay at Seton throughout their stay in LA. 

You will be in great hands out there - practically the entire floor you will be on in St. Vincent's is full of AN patients.  It was very comforting to my mom and husband to talk w/ other patients and their families as I was recovering.

Best of luck to you!  Let us know if you have other questions or concerns,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 08:33:20 am »
Congrats to you, I believe for me the worst part was deciding what treatment to have.  Enjoy these next couple weeks, try to do some of your favorite activities and keep busy.  Hopefully the weight stays off your shoulders and you continue to feel at ease.
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

moe

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 09:36:16 am »
Scott,
So glad you came to a decision, and a good one at that!
Translab at HOUSE sounds much better.
I had translab, but not at House. Actually my surgeon trained there, and he did an excellent job with the surgery (except for the facial nerve thing which was unavoidable, and I am doing well)

Will be here before you know it. What a relief for you :)
Keep us posted ok?
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

jerseygirl

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 10:40:11 am »
Congrats, Scott, for making a decision. There are so many people here on the forum that had surgeries at the House that you will find all the info you need. I am wishing a speedy and uneventful recovery and, of course, marvelous results!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 01:26:12 pm »
Scott ~

More congratulations on reaching a decision for treatment and facility.  I believe you've made a good choice. 

I've entered your surgery date/info on the AN Treatment Calendar http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d14/09/2010?authenticate=&display=M&style=B
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kathleen anna

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 05:17:20 am »
Scott............good luck with your upcoming surgery.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Mine is scheduled the 15th, but I will be at the University of Pennsylvania.  Don' know about you, but I do want to get this over with so I can move on!!!  I am having head pressure and am very tired all the time.......but am fighting it!~  Still working.............Take care of yourself and again....good luck!  Kathleen Anna

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 09:44:56 am »
Kathleen Anna,

I'm going in for the slice and dice on the 15th too.

I think being tired is from emotional exaltion that something like this has on a human. Or it could be the demon inside your head sucking the life out of you.  :'(

I guess when I go in that morning around 7:15 AM at Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth. I'll be scared but maybe I'll remember your going in that same day and won't FEEL alone.

TR4guy,

I guess you will be in ICU the day Kathleen and myself go in. I guess you get to go in first. Your taking the point. As they say in military patrol speak. Good man.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 09:49:02 am by Funnydream »
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

moe

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 10:06:15 am »

I think being tired is from emotional exaltion that something like this has on a human. Or it could be the demon inside your head sucking the life out of you.  :'(

BOTH!

All three of you will be in our prayers for successful surgery. You will have your own little mini support group when you return to post.
Isn't this a great forum????
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 05:51:22 pm »
Another good luck is going your way from another House Alumn...I have a pretty detailed thing I wrote up about my experience at house...if you are interested I can send it to you...take care and keep us updated! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

ksiwek

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 07:13:35 pm »
Scott!

Good luck with your upcoming surgery at House!  I flew there in June (I am 13 wks post op) from Milwaukee.  I would make the same decision over and over again.  You are in good hands.  You will be in the company of numerous other AN patients while you are in the hospital.  The AN patients and their families are one big support network for you while you are there.  I was amazed to be wheeled back to surgery the same time as 2 other patients...it made me feel less alone!

The folks at Seton were great and it was very convenient to stay there post surgery (due to my circumstance of having to deliver my baby early from complications from AN symptoms, I moved to LA for 6 weeks)

Since (like Suz) I was just there, send me a PM if you want to talk offline/via phone and I will answer any questions, give you my 2 cents and maybe most importantly try to ease your mind about surgery in LA.

I wish you the best and know that you are in good hands with hospital staff that takes care of AN patients every day!

Best,
Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

ReneeK

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 09:37:49 am »
I'm new here just diagnosed on 9/3/10 and my AN is 1.1 x 0.7 cm. I just saw my ENT who gave me all the options I have read about. I am a bit overwhelmed as I'm sure all of you had been when you received your diagnosis. My next step is a referral to a Neurosurgeon. Of course with an HMO who knows how long this will be. My ENT did not seemed too concerned and even suggested the "watch and wait"  ??? approach, but then also said being my age...I'm 40 and in good health, that now would be a good time even though these are usually slow growing tumors. Please any information and advice you can send my way would be greatly appreciated. i am in California, so I was thinking of making a an appointment at the House Ear Clinic being that it is only about 1 hour away.

Thanks!
Renee