Author Topic: Gamma knife 4 years after treatment  (Read 2005 times)

sewnice50

Gamma knife 4 years after treatment
« on: May 25, 2010, 08:07:18 am »
I started out with a 1.5CM tumor, it grew to 1.7CM over a few years and I decided to have Gamma knife in 2006.  I made the watch and wait decision but I wish I had done the Gamma Knife right away.  The sooner the better for the best outcome.  The only side affect I had within the first year was a tingling and numbing feeling in my face on the AN side occasionally, but this is very rare now. 

One year after the Gamma knife the tumor had swelled to 2CM.  The third year it was 1.6CM.  It is now 1.6cm.  I was a little alarmed to hear that because I had hoped to continue to hear it was shrinking but my doctor said it’s a good sign because it is not growing. I needed reassurance so I asked him if it was dying and he said it’s hard to tell.  Here is a side note.  The doctor, my dear doctor, who did the Gamma knife procedure, with whom I have been seeing for 6 years has now left the hospital in March 2010, so I saw his associate.  He was also at the procedure but has a different personality.  I still am happy with him but I think I might have taken he news better from my former doctor.  He had a way of making me feel totally comfortable.

Probably about 2 years after the Gamma Knife I started to notice hearing loss.  I  now have 50% hearing loss on the AN side and that happened very gradually.  All of the loss is with high frequency sounds.  I got a hearing aid in May 2009 and very happy I did.  The only thing I experience with the hearing aid and hearing loss is I can’t seem to figure out where sounds are coming from.   The hearing aid is a Moxi(I don’t work for or sell Moxi hearing aids.) It is as light as a feather. I don’t even know I have it most of the time.  It was expensive but my insurance company ended up paying for it.

My doctor said I should have another MRI in 2011 and maybe after that every other year.  All in all I am doing really well as far as the Gamma Knife and the AN is concerned.  I recommend Gamma Knife if you qualify.  I still feel I did the right thing.

Good luck to all of you who are looking into treatment.  It’s not an easy decision.  Thankfully I had my Doctor to answer all my questions.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Gamma knife 4 years after treatment
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:02:55 pm »
Sue ~

Thanks for your comprehensive and informative update on your GK experience.  I'm glad to learn that your AN is stable, which is the primary goal of AN radiation treatment.  Shrinkage/necrosis is much desired but not necessarily the only way to gauge radiation success.  I trust that your AN will continue to remain stable and possibly be so considerate as to die soon.  ;)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.