Author Topic: Does scar tissue ever go away??  (Read 17432 times)

cin605

Does scar tissue ever go away??
« on: May 18, 2010, 12:39:00 pm »
Hi All!
I was just wondering does scar tissue every go away??
i kno i should have asked this probly a long time ago.
Thanks Cindy
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Does scar tissue ever go away??
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:42:24 pm »
Hi Cindy .....

In the brain?  Or at the exterior incision site?  If in the brain, I have the same question as I have some MRI enhancement post-op they are watching to see if it changes size.  If exterior, my lumpy incision site is unchanged from a couple of months post-op.

Curious to see what other responses you get on this thread .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 02:13:16 pm »
I'm not a medical person, but my guess would be that it doesn't.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 02:54:04 pm »
The scar around my ear is not visible because of my hair. I have  a military type hair cut, so the hair is short. Even pulling the hair away, you would really have to look hard to see a scar. The scar on my belly is not too pretty. It is 2 months old. My wife thinks it will turn out well, but it is very lumpy, probably because there was a drain in there for a few days. It feels very hard, maybe 1/4" deep, and still some what purple. I have lots of scars from having skin cancer cut off over the years, and as I age, the scars grow wider...they are not going way. Stay out of the sun!

cin605

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 11:37:16 am »
I am wondering about interior,not exterior.My scar is barley visible even when i have a pony tail in.Its has no color to it just if you knew i had my head and neck cut open you would see a deep slit.
I am concerned about the interior.My last mri showed a spot and they said it was "probly scar tissue"
I replied probly?They said most likely but we will see what happens at next mri.
Can scar tissue cause the same effects as the AN itself?as far as screwing w/ your vestubular and pain and muscle spasms?
43yrs old

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 11:51:24 am »
I know that interior scar tissue does lessen as my Dr was waiting for my 1 year MRI to really for sure tell me there was none left behind.  He said the area is blurred by the scar tissue and once everything is healed better he wanted a better look.  So I would say yes to some extent it does???  But I'm not Dr

Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 01:42:24 pm »
The scar around my ear is not visible because of my hair. I have  a military type hair cut, so the hair is short. Even pulling the hair away, you would really have to look hard to see a scar. The scar on my belly is not too pretty.
Ditto what James said!  The hair on the side of my head is short, never more than 1" long, and my scar is completely hidden.  The scar on my abdomen is about 1.5" across and pretty noticeable.  Not that I care.  I guess if someone asks me about the abdomen scar I will tell them it if from my brain surgery.  That should lead to a pretty interesting reaction!
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 09:31:17 am »
Just to add my 2 cents... My surgeon basically saw the same thing, scar tissue that was enhanced on the MRI.  Instead of another MRI in 5 years, he wants to see the changes in 1 year.  That tells me that scar tissue does in fact continue to change over a long period of time.

I know the scar tissue changes affect pain.  I had a rather rough period of headaches back last June/July time frame.  I still get some, but now its mainly when I'm doing strenuous activities.  Hope that helps!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

cin605

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 11:50:31 am »
Thanks for the 2 cents Ernie! ;DEvery little bit helps and gets put into the bank...so next time somebody else asks some thing i can put my 2 cents also!
43yrs old

Lainie181818

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 06:42:39 pm »
I had my 4TH annual "Tube o gloom" yesterday. I had mid fossa surgery and "something" was found 1 year post op. My Dr told me subject to radiologist report, he thinks it has shrunk by 50%. I do not have to go back for 18 months. So I guess that scar tissue does shrink and hopefully dissapears
Lainie.

cin605

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 05:36:02 pm »
 ;D....My next tube of gloom visit is scheduled for July 19....a long day that will be......MRI..11:30...hearing test 12:30......ENT 1:30......Nuerosurgeon 2:30...Hospital is 2 1/2 hours away.
43yrs old

Lainie181818

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 12:56:56 am »
Hi Donnalyn, Keeping my fingers crossed that "it' is scar tissue. David, Nancy and I went to see Kris today. I got to hold Parker he is absolutely gorgeous. Kris is doing well she just wants to get everything over with. We are all hoping for a great outcome next Friday.
Take care
Lainie.
Sorry about the snow storm, I won't tell you what it is like here.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 12:19:38 pm »
can scar tissue inside head casue probs?
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

cin605

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 11:29:38 am »
I was wondering the same thing?
Good question for July.
43yrs old

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 09:30:41 am »
let me know what he says in july
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06