Author Topic: Questions for Educators  (Read 5286 times)

raj_06

Questions for Educators
« on: April 16, 2010, 08:03:28 am »
Hi there,

Now that I have decided to go for my PhD, I would like to ask teachers or professors here in forum about how they deal with their SSD in classroom. The part I am little worried about is my lack of sense of direction of sound source. Is there specific techniqes that you folks apply to deal with this hearing deficiency? Also, if anyone of you wear baha or some other aid, does that device help in the classroom?

Regards,
Raj
"After all these ordeals, I still say all is well":)

mk

Re: Questions for Educators
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 08:21:25 pm »
Hi Raj,

I am not SSD (at least not yet), but I have some experience of what it feels like, since I have undergone three episodes of complete hearing loss, during which I had to teach (I guess something like a general rehearsal of what SSD might feel like). What I find very hard to deal with is when my hearing is distorted (which happens from time to time). This is amplified in large classrooms (say of 150 people capacity), with many (and sometimes loud) students and the feeling is very unsettling. When the classroom is quiet though, it is much better. And since students will raise their hands when wanting to ask a question, directionality shouldn't be a big problem. Also, I didn't find hearing the students when they ask questions to be a big problem, provided that I had my good ear towards them. Sometimes I will approach them, or ask them to speak up. I am sure that others will chime in on the BAHA or other suitable hearing aids. I am not sure if this helps at all - overall I think that being SSD might be less of a problem in orderly University classrooms, rather than at an elementary school (or worse, Kindergarten).

Marianna

GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 11:26:03 am »
Raj -

I am not a educator, but I've found that my BAHA is extremely helpful in business settings like meetings in small and large rooms as well as one-on-one conversations in my office.

Although BAHAs are not known for directionality, I've found that the longer I wear mine the better my sense of directionaltity is.  The new BP100 has also helped me in this area - it's a step up from the Divino.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 02:18:31 pm »
mimoore is a kindergarten teacher with SSD, you may wish to send her a PM.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

sunfish

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 05:02:02 pm »
I teach some college courses and, although I'm not SSD, my moderate hearing impairment on my AN side has really caused me to struggle in the classroom setting.  In my experience, sometimes the acoustics are so terrible in the classrooms that hearing is practically impossible.

Here's some suggestions:

1.  If you have a choice of classrooms, of course, pick the one with the best acoustics
2.  I tell the students from day one that I'm hearing impaired, and that extra noise in the classroom makes it more difficult to communicate (lots of people talking, etc.)
3.  I move closer to the student when answering a question

I get sick and tired and frustrated with having to ask folks to repeat themselves over and over, although this is better since I got a hearing aid for my bad ear.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 09:20:47 pm »
Hi Raj,

I've had over 4 years of dealing with SSD as a fourth grade teacher.  The first year was without any aide.  Now I have the TransEar.  The only times that I notice a problem iis when students are saying isolated words like in spelling class.  Otherwise I understand them fine.  I do encourage them to look at me when they speak.  I think that helps.  As far as being the teacher it's not aq big problem.

If you are planning on being the student I would advise sitting as close to the speaker as possible.  That will do two things:  make you closer to the source of the sound and also others around you will be less likely to be talking while the teacher is speaking.  If necessary tell the professor and they may have accomodations that can be made for you such as FM systems that the teacher speaks into and you also have a receiver.  I know that some students in the elementary use these systems.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

raj_06

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 06:56:51 pm »
Thank you everyone for your responses. I guess being upfront about the impairment and telling students to raise hand while asking questions will help. I am definitely looking forward to getting some kind of help for my AN ear. But, I am planning to wait for a few years before I get help. I don't think I need to start teaching until after few years, and I don't have a problem hearing my professors, as a student. Again, thanks everyone!

Regards,
Raj

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 09:01:22 pm »
Hi Raj,  I just saw your post about educators and can share my experiences.  I am a high school science teacher and department chair.  My SSD has created many difficult situations over the past year and a half since my AN surgery.  My students last year were very aware of my situation because I was gone from them for nearly three months (counting holidays.)  I trained them about my deafness and my off-balance issues upon my return to the classroom, and they were great about it.  The new school year was a different story as I teach mostly 9th graders who did not know me when I was gone for brain surgery.  I have learned to turn my head towards whoever is speaking, and I frequently have to approach students in closer proximity and ask them to repeat what they have said.  To get my attention during labs, I have trained them to wave their hands because I cannot find the direction from where the voices are originating.  I try to stay out of hallways during passing time as the noise and motion from all directions completely throws off my equilibrium.  I also avoid large spaces like the gym and the auditorium.  I have learned to trade positions with persons when conversing so that I stand on the left (and can hear only on the right.)  It seems that the more time passes since my brain surgery, the more frustrated I am over the hearing loss and the more noticeable the handicap.   I am scheduled to get my BAHA in less than two weeks and am very anxious to see an improvement.  I know that students, peers, and my family must be very tired of my asking them to repeat what they said.

SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

raj_06

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:22:23 pm »
Hi Sue,

Thank you for your input. I can really understand the frustrations you were writing about and the adjustments you had to make. I hope that some device will help mitigate the hearing challenges in the classroom. I will be doing PhD in Accounting, and am sure will go for an academic career. Lets see, more improved technology might come up in the next few years  :)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 04:12:26 pm »
I am an educator for the US Coast Guard...   I try to set up the classroom to offset my hearing, I still have usable hearing...but in a large room, or conference...it's challenging. 

If I have a problem, I tell them that I have a hearing loss...no one ever asks why, they just speak up or try no to talk over each other.

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

raj_06

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 08:50:08 am »
Thanks for the input, GM! I am definitely looking forward to being upfront about my hearing loss.

mk

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 10:54:06 am »
Oh, here is another one that I encountered during yesterday's final exam. The students had many questions, but of course they had to whisper, so that they don't bother the rest of the class. Well, I had to make sure that I positioned myself, so that I could hear them from my good side. The couple of times that I failed to do this I couldn't figure out what they were saying.  ::)

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.