Author Topic: Char's update from surgery last Monday  (Read 2792 times)

char1957

Char's update from surgery last Monday
« on: February 15, 2010, 09:01:45 am »
Hi all,
  Just wanted to let you know that I made it through surgery last Monday.  The AN was a little larger and trickier than expected, but they got it!  Yeah!  They did have to remove the vestibular nerve, so I am trying very hard to get used to that.  Am still feeling very wonky headed and dizzy, but I keep praying that will come back in time.  How long before these horrible headaches go away?

Thank you all for your words of wisdom thru my pre-op and mostly for your prayers.  This is my first time on the computer since surgery, hope I am making sense.  I am sure I will be back soon with more questions and thoughts.

Char
2.5 AN right side, diagnosed 12/12/09
Retrosigmoid Surgery 2/8/10
Encompassed 4th-8th Cranial Nerves
Lost hearing and balance w/other deficits
3rd year MRI no regrowth on AN, but found 10mm Menengioma right frontal lobe

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Char's update from surgery last Monday
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 09:16:47 am »
Char -

congratulations on your postie status!

The majority of us who had surgery lost our vestibular nerve.  Things will get better over time as your body learns to compensate.

I don't know the answer to your headache question; luckily I didn't have them post op.

Get lots of rest and don't overdo it.  You'll be surprised how long the fatigue lasts.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sues1953

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 09:23:31 am »
Hi Char!

Congratulations on being a postie!  I am new and still have my tumor with me  :(  so I can't help much with the recuperation stuff. I am sending you well wishes for a speedy recovery.  I hope it's smooth sailing.

I want details as soon as you are able.  How large was your tumor?  Where was the surgery done and how long did it last?

Best Regards.

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 09:23:58 am »
Hi Char,

Congratulations on making it through the worst!  My headaches lasted about 2 1/2 weeks or so.  They went away like the flip of a switch when the muscles in my neck finally released.  I hope you feel better soon and don't feel bad about asking for something for them if you need it.  

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 10:11:45 am »
Welcome back, Char. You are over the hump now. Take it easy for now, things will be better in March.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 10:29:38 am »
Congrats Char!!! Yeah, the one thing you DON'T want to be is inpatient about things, it'll only make it rougher on you.  You just had brain surgery so let things go at its own pace...before you know it you'll be like new!!  Take care and keep us updated!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 01:00:52 pm »
Char,

I am very happy to read your surgery was successful.  I know you had concerns about your facial nerve and from what you wrote there doesn't seem to a problem there.  Most of us were prescribed vestibular therapy to regain and speed things up with the balance.  As for those dreaded and painful headaches, well time, muscles releasing, meds in the beginning tapering off to milder OTC meds are the way to go.  Taking time out alot during the day from overtaxing your brain with eyes, ears, and balance can help in keeping the head pain to a minimum. 

Stay in touch!  Congratulations the hardest part is over (even though you don't feel that way now).  You will begin to see improvements day by day. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 07:04:06 pm »
Char,

Congrats on becoming a postie.  You are in good company here.  I can see you have been getting some good advice here but I will add my $0.02.  Take one day at a time and let your body mend.  Little improvements add up and you will be surprised how soon you will be back to a regular lifestyle. Your balance will improve over time but don't push yourself too hard -- you will find that you will fatigue easier than you used to.  Remember it is OK to take naps while recovering -- I took many and I STILL DO!

Cheers,

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 01:12:19 pm »
Hi, Char ~

Welcome back!  It's good to learn that your AN surgery went relatively well and that you're recovering nicely.  As everyone has (and will) tell you, things do improve with time.  You'll probably have to 'work' at regaining something close to normal balance but it does happen.  It took me about a month.  I didn't have post-op headaches and I'm sorry that you do, but but they should subside.  You may want to consult your doctor if they don't.   Oh, and you made perfect sense.  :)

Jim     
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Wwoodian

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 01:38:49 am »
Congrats on getting through the worst of it!  Be patient with your recovery; it may be more difficult than you imagined it would.  You'll experience some crazy stuff, but this forum helps so much with that.  Best to you!
Diagnosed with 1 cm AN on 10-28-09
Middle Fossa surgery on left side 11-20-09
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic in LA.
No hearing loss or facial nerve problems
Severe double vision and bouncy vision
Yahoo!  Double Vision gone after 3 months!
Did a full marathon 1 1/2 yrs after surgery!