Author Topic: TENS unit for neck pain  (Read 31506 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
TENS unit for neck pain
« on: November 12, 2009, 01:45:36 pm »
Since my headaches are always preceded by pain in the back of my neck that radiates down into my shoulder, I decided to use the TENS unit that was prescribed for my low back pain on it.  My unit has different settings for shoulder, back, wrist, etc.  It was really pricey, but my insurance paid for most of it and I needed a docs prescription to acquire it.  This is my second time putting it to this purpose so I'll let all of you know how it goes. Tens stands for transcutaeous electrical nuero-stimulator.  It looks like a transistor radio (remember those?) and has wires that lead to 4 stick-on electrodes.  When you turn it on it tingles and the electrical impulses are supposed to disrupt pain signals to the brain.  As usual, I woke up with a stiff, sore neck and by 11:oo had occipital head pain on one side and had to go to the bank and do errands.  I popped an Imitrex 100 around 12:30 and now at 2:45 have a pretty bad headache going--has not reached my eye socket yet.  When it reaches the eye socket I know I'm in for a real brainwreck!

I'll let you know how it goes!!

Hugs to all you AN Achers,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: TENS unit for neck pain
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 01:53:53 pm »
Permission to speak, Captn! :-*

I have to note.... does your dr know about TENS use on neck? Like you, many note other locations (ie: back and such) and looking out for your well-being.  Primary arteries flowing in neck and not sure if wise (I'm not a dr, so can't say) as we know... TENS should also not be used near the heart.

Permission to go back into hiding Captn!

xoxoxooxox
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 02:41:01 pm »
Ahoy Cap'n - 

Don't make me send pirates out to deal with your head, m'lady!

Seriously, so sorry you are in such pain. It sounds like the TENS might not have been the right move, although I would have been right there with you in terms of trying it.  Hope your head gets better.  Oh, and listen to Phyl .... ;)

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 03:07:47 pm »
My physical therapist OK'd the TENS for my occipital and neck/shoulder pain and used it on me in treatment.  So, yes, Phyll, it has been checked out.  Thanks for looking out for me.

Huggley Huggles (EEEWWWW!!!)

Capt Deb

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 03:12:21 pm »
My physical therapist OK'd the TENS for my occipital and neck/shoulder pain and used it on me in treatment.  So, yes, Phyll, it has been checked out.  Thanks for looking out for me.

Huggley Huggles (EEEWWWW!!!)

Capt Deb

okie dokey pokey! ;)

xoxoxoxooxoxoxoxox
hugglez!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 04:01:14 pm »
Well done Captain parrot - wtchya do for an encore?

I sympathise. last weekend I was walking through the shopping mall car park and as normal, I look down whilst walking and then bang! The top of my head hit a protruding ladder from a ute. It nearly knocked me out and my brain wrecks have been constant all week.

Its horrible. I hate them so I'm wishing your away.

hugs to ye both Deb and Phyl

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 04:15:31 pm »
Laz, I'll keep in touch on the Botox.  Is it covered by the National Health in the Land of Oz?

Capt Deb

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 09:27:03 am »
Tens unit worked pretty good.  That kind of severe neck/occipital pain for me usually crawls up the back of my head and lodges behind my eye and it didn't do it this time.  May the TENS can stop the progression into a migraine for me.

Capt Deb

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 09:29:58 am »
Fingers crossed....
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 08:38:41 pm »
Hey Deb, I know this posting is over 8 months old, but I am curious if you still use your TENS and if it has worked at all.   I have read more of your recent posts on headaches.

I ask because 4 months after my AN surgery I had a severe pain, spasm episode in my base of my skull and neck and it pretty much locked me up in extreme pain.  ER visit said the muscles were so tight it was crazy.  I was officially diagnosed with Chiari Malformation (which I know Phyl and a couple others have too) and know that is probably causing my issues when I get them.  I had some issues post surgery, but that resolved and seemed to come back with a vengance.  The severe pain 'can' come on sudden with any type of straining....sneezing, coughing, bowel movements, yelling, lifting something somewhat heavy, or even just to much physical impact.     A couple neurosurgeons basically said it is causing me to have muscle tension type headaches that are also sometimes mixed with occipital migrane headaches.   Most of the time the tension is in my neck and base of the skull.   I have had it run down my right arm too.  (all this is on the opposite side of where my tumor was)

Anyways, due to the fact I had my tumor removal 8 months ago, but this more severe pain started 4 months ago.....the doctors want me to wait & see if the pain subsides at about 1 year post surgery.   My neck pain area has gotten so bad that I finally got my internest to get me into P.T. with massage for the neck and cranial, down to shoulders.     They use this unit of Electrical stimulation with ultrasound and I LOVE IT!   I had it used some with my back & neck for a couple weeks post AN surgery and it was what helped. (until now...I'm starting over)    I asked about the arteries, etc like someone mentioned above and they said of course you need to know how to use it, etc.   They are checking with my insurance about coverage to purchase and have at home, but  I think it was called an Interferential unit.  Supposedly it does a bit more than the TENS.

Anyways, I guess I had to ask and open back up this topic :-)   THANKS, Denise  :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 08:42:55 pm by Denise S »
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI