Author Topic: Hearing coming back??  (Read 6126 times)

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
Hearing coming back??
« on: November 09, 2009, 02:12:54 pm »
Is this possible?
I had pretty much said goodbye to the hearing in my left ear before surgery, and sure enough, though the nerve is intact, woke up hearing nothing but the oh-so-lovely "white noise" in that ear. It was so weird the first few times I scratched my ear (or went to wipe a rouge eye-drop out) and heard *nothing*. But the last few days, I heard a little bit of something! I haven't had my official post-op hearing test yet, but is it possible for hearing to come back??
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Hearing coming back??
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 02:25:20 pm »
Yup!

My neurosurgeon said it could take six months for the hearing to settle and did not recommend being fitted for a hearing aid before that time.  Temporary post-surgical swelling can cause additional hearing loss and when that reduces some hearing will come back.  From 0% hearing to 100% hearing would be very unusual but even some serviceable hearing can be boosted with a regular digital hearing aid.

Let us know how this goes .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 03:48:11 pm »
Nikki ~

Great news!  Yes, it's uncommon but hearing can return if the nerve is intact.  Like Clarice, I'm interested to learn the results of your hearing test.  I hope it's positive.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 04:37:24 pm »
Wouldn't that be so great!?

I woke up thinking I was completely deaf in my left ear.  Over time (few days) I found I could hear muffled sounds very softly.  Now, 5 months out I can hear at about a 40% level (guessing).  It hasn't changed in months though.  I'm guessing my changes stopped at about 2-3 months (??).

I'm hopeful for you!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 08:11:37 pm »
Well, had my hearing test today and it turns out I'm not actually hearing anything on the surgery side. Dr said I likely never will. But oh well, it was a nice thought anyway.

moe

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 10:11:09 pm »
Nikki,
Wishful thinking, I guess.
Sorry that the hearing test came back neg.
It is weird how we perceive noises after surgery. I held stereo headphones up to my "dead" ear after surgery, and thought, "Yes, they were right, I DID lose all hearing in that ear."
I just didn't want it to be so, but it was.
Keep truckn ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Esperanza

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 05:55:43 am »
Hi, I haven't had surgery yet but am SSD and I find that I can go through periods where I feel I can almost 'hear' on my deaf side.
I don't usually struggle to hear people on my deaf side either unless I am in a particularly noisy environment and sometimes my husband will say
'are you sure you're deaf in that ear' as I will hear things he doesn't!  I also am able to directionally locate a lot more noises (including finding my phone?!) than I expected too but I know that ear is dead.  Maybe it's environmental/sinus/bone conduction?  Anyway I am also in health care in the same area as yourself and generally cope very well in the ward environment - have to say theatre is a little more challenging especially when foreign dr's are masked up but who's to say I would understand them clearly before! (that's not to say I don't miss having binaural hearing though  :().  You appear to be adjusting very well - hope this continues...  :)
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 09:03:26 am »
Esperanza,
That's interesting because even though I *wasn't* SSD before surgery, I also always had trouble with understanding foreign docs. I haven't been back to work yet, interested to see how it goes. I'm afraid I'll hear a monitor alarm and have to spin in circles trying to find where it's coming from.  :P

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 09:30:59 am »
Trying to hear where IVs were beeping was my hard thing after being SSD.           Also the one hall had 2 phones on the wall and when the ward clerk would call down and hear one ringing and trying to guess which one.      You just learn to put up with it all.   
                                                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 03:57:40 pm »
Nikki ~

I'm sorry to learn that your SSD did not abate but, as you probably realized, it was a long shot.  However, you do have an alternative.  If your SSD impacts your efficiency as a nurse or has too big an effect on your quality of life, there is always the option of obtaining a BAHA or other aid to enhance your hearing ability by transferring sound through your skull to your hearing ear.  I've found that I can cope with my SSD fairly well but I'm retired and have excellent hearing in my 'good' ear.   Others find being SSD impracticable and are ecstatic about their BAHA units, so it's a individual choice.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 06:21:43 pm »
It is indeed possible. Hearing loss is the biggest risk for microvascular decompression surgery for hemifacial spasm, more common than facial paralysis. I woke up deaf on the left side with tinnitus that sounded like a lawn mower circling a tree. Within three months I had about 75-80% back, and there it has stayed. I have trouble in crowds, and can't hold the phone on that side anymore.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13