Author Topic: Facial Nerve Issues  (Read 6257 times)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Facial Nerve Issues
« on: October 25, 2009, 02:10:04 pm »
I find it remarkable that of all the people I've come to know who have had surgery with Drs. Barker and McKenna at Mass General in Boston (myself included), I've yet to see one person with any facial nerve problems. I think there is something to be said for that.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

mimoore

• Believe!
Re: Facial Nerve Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 05:40:11 pm »
Interesting - where is that?
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Crazycat

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 12:39:55 pm »
Michelle,

Mass General is in Boston, MA and is rated as having one of the top neurosurgery departments in the world.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 12:50:07 pm »
If i remember right... you did have some the first couple months then got better - right?
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Crazycat

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 03:16:18 pm »
Hi Joe!

Actually, my problem was feeling and sensation. I never lost control of facial movement. There is still some residual numbness on the left side of my face like lingering Novocaine after a dentist visit.

This is more trigeminal nerve-related than facial nerve.

juliec

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 03:21:17 pm »
I have heard that Mass General is at the top of the list for this too. Living in MN and not having extra cash, I went to Iowa City. Surprisingly enough, they are #3 in the nation this year, although they have been #2 in other years. I have some facial nerve issues, but it's nearly back to normal after just 2-1/2 months. I had a sticky tumor that grew up into the facial nerve.

I found someone in MN who has helped me a lot with my facial nerve issues. He even helped someone whose facial nerve was completely severed! My was just stretched out a bit.
Julie C.
Bloomington, MN
1.8 x 1 cm Middle Fossa surgery Univ of IA 8/13/09

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 04:45:28 pm »
Lucky you, I have 6, 7 and 8 Nerve problems...they're intact but severally traumatized still 12 weeks after surgery.

;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

moe

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 05:26:33 pm »
I find it remarkable that of all the people I've come to know who have had surgery with Drs. Barker and McKenna at Mass General in Boston (myself included), I've yet to see one person with any facial nerve problems. I think there is something to be said for that.
Dang should have gone there!

Really,I have the utmost respect for my surgeon from Madigan.( He trained at HOUSE.) I just had a large bloody AN which had smashed the facial/hearing/balance nerve. Face nerve was anastomosed end to end. I'm happy I didn't stroke out...... Still mad that I can't smile but I'm accepting it a bit better now, past the 3 year mark! Acupuncture is helping a tad too!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Crazycat

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 12:53:19 pm »
Yes, it's a touch and go situation with nerves. This is why nerves are referred to as being "insulted" if they are touched or altered in the slightest way. It can take years for nerves to recover from being tampered with.

It's also a different situation with each person regarding what nerves are impinged on as the tumor grows out. The twelve cranial nerves on each side of the skull base are  close together like a wire harness. In my case they left some of the growth behind so as not to tamper with the facial nerve. The growth was 5cm x 5cm. In spite of everything I endured (including two shunt surgeries) I cannot believe how well I came through it all!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 04:49:49 pm by Crazycat »

epodjn

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 01:19:47 pm »
But miracles do happen! I had my facial nerve severed 10 months ago and just yesterday I got some movement back in my eye. I can almost completely close it, with effort. I also have a pretty good smile going, not a big smile, but it's not a scary pirate smile like I had just a few months ago. Of course along with all this new movement is a fair amount of synkinesis but I guess that just goes with the territory. I know plenty of people who would take the synkinesis to have some movement so I am grateful for what I have. When I was told the nerve was cut the surgeons basically told me not to plan on much movement returning and to just go get a gold weight put in because they eye wouldn't ever come back. Thanks to lots of prayers, a great neuromusclar retrainer, and lots of work I think I'm going to prove them wrong!!!
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 02:38:32 pm »
I'll chime in one more time here...I'm so jealous  :-\...I still make small children cry with my patched left eye and goofy right side only smile...!  My nerves were left intact but haven't given the slightest hint thus far that they're ever going to function again  :( That's so disheartening as I'm sure my fellow ANer's can attest!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 02:45:43 pm by DoctorB »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Jeanlea

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 04:38:09 pm »
Doctor B,

I know how disheartening it can be to not have any movement.  I had no movement at all after my surgery.  At just over 3 months I had the tiniest of movement at the corner of my mouth.  It's been progressing ever since.  I'm just over 4 years now and have a decent smile.  My pic is of me post-surgery.  Never give up hope.  Nerves can taKe ever so long to come back.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Crazycat

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 04:56:44 pm »
Doc,

You got hit hard. I'm sorry to hear (no pun intended) what you're going through.

Did you have double vision? I had it before surgery and especially when I looked to the left side (side of tumor). After surgery though, the double vision was full blown; so bad that I had to wear an eye patch for months. It eventually eased-up but not entirely. I still have problems with it.

epodjn

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 05:11:02 pm »
Doctor B,
Don't give up hope yet!!! I went to my six month post-op appointment and had absolutely no movement. The doctor just looked at me and said, well we'll see, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. We should have seen SOMETHING by now. I was crushed! But a couple of months later I started noticing the tiniest bit of movement around my mouth and cheek. After I talked to people here and hearing the stories I knew that doctor was wrong. Six months or before is possible but many of us will tell you that longer is probably more normal, expecially for a severed or badly damaged nerve. Believe me when I say I know how easy it is to get down. I had plenty of my own down days. Hang in there. I will be praying for you.
Julie
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

moe

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 07:10:20 pm »
Crazycat- you had a monster of a tumor. Like you said, you are doing extremely well, with your complications you had.

And DOC- don't give up! You are still pretty fresh post op. It takes MONTHS.......I know there are downer days, I myself just gotta stay focused on tasks and such.....

Just take it one day at a time, it WILL come back. Think HAPPY thoughts!!!  I WILL smile again, I WILL smile again. It will happen. ::) (I know, I'm a Polly Anna)

Just keep trying to make the best of every day. I should be the one talking! Sometimes I just get fed up with the looks I get, the sympathetic nods.......

My smile  was ME. I had a huge one with dimples to boot. It's what kept me going. I would smile on bad days, just to help me get through the day.
Ah well, I haven't given up and won't give up. I bet you'll beat me to the smile stage, and I'll  say "Good for you." and think "Jeez, I'm jealous!"
 :-\
My right sided smile,
Maureen
YOu can see pic of me at this site, if you want- I don't post a lot of photos.......

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=9252.msg103667#msg103667
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty