Author Topic: MRI--blood work required first?  (Read 68257 times)

tsl

MRI--blood work required first?
« on: September 23, 2009, 02:09:53 pm »
I’ll be coming up for my annual MRI in a couple of months.  Although my radiation was done at MGH in Boston, my local primary care provider arranges for the MRI and results get mailed to Boston.  When I get my reminder letter from Boston, I call my pcp and being a little anal (me not my Dr.) I always mention that the MRI should be done with and without contrast.

I’ve had two friends recently tell me that when they were scheduled for an MRI with and without contrast, they were told that they needed to have blood work done first as a precaution because the contrast solution is excreted thru the kidneys.  They got this news from the MRI staff, not their pcps so last minute rescheduling had to be done.  They were told that the blood work check was a new thing.

My question to folks who’ve had recent MRIs or who will be having MRIs:  Are they requiring a blood work first before doing an MRI?
Thanks,
Theresa
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: MRI--blood work required first?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 02:24:21 pm »
My question to folks who’ve had recent MRIs or who will be having MRIs:  Are they requiring a blood work first before doing an MRI?

Yes.  I've been given various reasons for needing pre-MRI blood work, including the effect of the contrast dye on the kidneys and that anyone over 65 is now required to submit the blood work, pre-MRI scan.  It's a bit of a bother (and extra expense) but because I only require an annual MRI, I can deal with it.  Fortunately, I have 'good' veins and the blood-drawing process is relatively quick and without drama.  However, to the best of my knowledge, not every hospital requires the pre-MRI blood work.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 02:27:58 pm »
answer... yes.

they may do a Bun/Creatine test to make sure your kidneys can pass the contrast well (why they tell us to drink lots of fluids after contrast use).

Usually, Bun/Creatine test is done approx 6 wks or sooner to scheduled MRI.

Hope that helps, m'dear. See you Oct 25!
xoxoxoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Vivian B.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 07:44:00 pm »
Hi,

I had an MRI last week and two weeks prior to that the Neurosurgeon called me and advised me that I would need blood work for the same reason to check kidney function. She explained that this process has been going on for the past two years and its for precaution measures when having contrast MRI.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 07:41:42 am »
they may do a Bun/Creatine test to make sure your kidneys can pass the contrast well (why they tell us to drink lots of fluids after contrast use).

As Phyl said, answer is yes.  These days a bun and creatinine are standard procedure for MRIs with contrast (aka gadolinium).  They want to make sure you don't have any kidney issues.

The hospital where I have my annual MRIs (Adventist Hinsdale, in Hinsdale, IL) actually does the blood test a few hours prior to the MRI.  Saves me time since I live about 40 minutes away.  If I have my blood drawn by 10, they have the results by 1 and I can do the MRI that same day.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 10:43:34 am »
As all have said the answer is Yes.  I just had my MRI done last week, they made sure the blood work was done and they had a copy.

TJ

Nani

• It's not rocket science. Just brain surgery.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 08:10:18 pm »
I have never had to do blood work before an MRI.  Maybe because I am so young?  Maybe I am a secret medical experiment.  Maybe they are trying to see how much one body can take.  Anyway, sounds like you've got the norm.
- AN surgery 3-17-09. 3.8 x 5.1cm tumor.  1 month in the hospital and a couple in ST, OT and PT.

*People are always going to be behind you telling you you can't.  The important thing is to turn around and say 'watch me'.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 08:04:31 am »
Nani -

for my first MRI I wasn't required to have blood work.  Then the next one (1 year later) and the next one (2 years later), the blood tests were required.

I think most hospitals are moving towards this practice.  So chances are sooner or later you'll probably be required to have the blood work, too.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nani

• It's not rocket science. Just brain surgery.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 08:12:47 am »
I am from Louisiana.  Chances are they'll catch up 10 years from now.....if they are on top of their game.
- AN surgery 3-17-09. 3.8 x 5.1cm tumor.  1 month in the hospital and a couple in ST, OT and PT.

*People are always going to be behind you telling you you can't.  The important thing is to turn around and say 'watch me'.

OTO

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 10:55:48 pm »
Do a google search on gadolilnum (spelling?) - the contrast agent.   You'll should find some links regarding the issue with kidney damage.  You'll also find at least on website for an attorney looking for clients who have had MRI's with contrast and now have kidney problems...

tsl

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 02:34:18 pm »
THANK YOU ALL for answering my post.  I am going to be sure to bring up bloodwork to my primary care provider when he arranges for for my upcoming MRI.
-Theresa (tsl)
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 10:20:05 pm »
I haven't had the blood work yet, but I'm only 30.   WHo knows....i am sure it will become more standard as time goes on, like jan mentioned.
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 09:31:59 am »
My doc said it's SOP for people over 50 (this is in NJ, it may vary by state).  Fortunately, apparently I have very fit kidneys!   ;D

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 07:13:01 am »
My doc said it's SOP for people over 50 (this is in NJ, it may vary by state). 

I think it must vary by state - or by hospital or doctor - I was only 46 when I had my first MRI with the blood work required and 47 last year.

Jan - not yet 50  ;D